Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with 2 issues

Options
  • 06-10-2008 9:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Just wondering if you can advise on two separete issues for me.

No.1 is an issue with 3 (surprise surprise!)

I rang up and gave a month's notice that I was cancelling my contract with 3 (as my 12 month contract was coming to an end) and after I hung up I also posted it.

I cancelled my direct debits after the month and thought everything was ok as the man on the phone said he noted it on my account and that everthing would be stopped. I kept receiving monthly bills and each time I would ring up and say that I cancelled the contract but they would reply with "there is no record of that".

Now they have passed it on to debt collectors. I have told the collectors what has happend and I have even go on to Com Reg about this but I have to wait for the 10 working days to be up.

Just wondering if I have a leg to stand on here? I know I should of registered the letter but I thought that the phone call & letter would suffice...

No.2 is an issue with Vodafone bb.

After I cancelled my contract with 3, I bought the bb modem form the internet. It worked for around 20 days and then just stopped. I rang their customer service and basically was sent on a wild goose chase around shops in Balbriggan. Every time I rang their c.s. that day I got completely different information. Basiacally the modem was faulty and I was told to bring it to any vodafone shop to get a new one. I found out that was not correct while in the shop. I rang again and was told I was given incorrect information, I will have to send it away to get repaired or wait for a courier to collect it. But I will have to wait for a week if I choose to get it couriered, and if I posted it I would have to pay for everything, worked out at €45 and I didnt have that type of money. He then proceeded to tell me to go to a different vodafone shop that would be able to help me, when I got there I was told differently.

I rang the c.s up again and got more conflicting information, I was told that I had to bring the modem in myself for it to be repaired, (not get a new one, not let a courier pick it up etc) I told them that I was sick of getting wrong and conflicting information and she said that if I wanted to I could cancel my account and just leave it, since I paid €89 for the modem this would cover the start of the contract.

So I did that, wrote a letter to vodafone and cancelled my account, wrote down everything that happened, told them what the last customer service rep had told me and waiting.

Got two more bills, the last one for €220 and saying that if I dont pay they will forward it to a debt collectors...

I have written to vodafone numerous times, never acknoweldged but they just keep sending me more bills.

Any advice here??

EDIT TO ADD: I am in college and no longer work, so I honeslty cannot pay the vodafone bill. I live off 20quid a week at the mo :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Now they have passed it on to debt collectors. I have told the collectors what has happend and I have even go on to Com Reg about this but I have to wait for the 10 working days to be up.

Just wondering if I have a leg to stand on here? I know I should of registered the letter but I thought that the phone call & letter would suffice...

Just ignore everything from the debt collectors, keep all the letters though. You need to speak to someone in the Three complaints department. You should really have registered the cancellation letter to them, but it's not actually necessary. They should have a record of the phone call in which you canceled it too, so check your account history to see when exactly that call was made.

After I cancelled my contract with 3, I bought the bb modem form the internet. It worked for around 20 days and then just stopped. I rang their customer service and basically was sent on a wild goose chase around shops in Balbriggan. Every time I rang their c.s. that day I got completely different information. Basiacally the modem was faulty and I was told to bring it to any vodafone shop to get a new one. I found out that was not correct while in the shop. I rang again and was told I was given incorrect information, I will have to send it away to get repaired or wait for a courier to collect it.

This is a little more tricky. The trial period for Vodafone was 14 days, you only went to cancel after 20 days, which is outside this period, and you are therefore in the 12 month contract. Getting out of this would be possible, if the service doesn't work, but you'd need to have evidence of this.
    But I will have to wait for a week if I choose to get it couriered, and if I posted it I would have to pay for everything, worked out at €45 and I didnt have that type of money. He then proceeded to tell me to go to a different vodafone shop that would be able to help me, when I got there I was told differently.

Where did you get this €45 amount from? It would cost no more than €6.75 to register post it.

I rang the c.s up again and got more conflicting information, I was told that I had to bring the modem in myself for it to be repaired, (not get a new one, not let a courier pick it up etc) I told them that I was sick of getting wrong and conflicting information and she said that if I wanted to I could cancel my account and just leave it, since I paid €89 for the modem this would cover the start of the contract.

So I did that, wrote a letter to vodafone and cancelled my account, wrote down everything that happened, told them what the last customer service rep had told me and waiting.

Got two more bills, the last one for €220 and saying that if I dont pay they will forward it to a debt collectors...

I have written to vodafone numerous times, never acknoweldged but they just keep sending me more bills.

Any advice here??

Without sending the modem off for inspection/repair, you have no proof that the service doesn't work or that the modem is broken. As such, you are liable for all the monthly charges, as you haven't given Vodafone a chance to find the problem and correct it. The miss-information from Vodafone is unfortunate, and may help you case, but it doesn't get you away from the fact that you never sent back the modem, which won't help you.

Again, get their official complaints procedure, follow it through, and see where it brings you, but I don't see a way out of this one for you.
    EDIT TO ADD: I am in college and no longer work, so I honeslty cannot pay the vodafone bill. I live off 20quid a week at the mo :(

That's neither here nor there, you owe the money, and you will have to pay it.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭northdubgal

Thanks for your reply.

In relation to 3, I have kept all letters. I know when I called and I posted the letter straight after the call. I have phone 3 numerous times, and their complaints dept but they are literally just reading off a sheet and they dont know how to handle my query.

I re-rang ComReg and they are getting onto it for me as it is now over the 10 days waiting time.

In relation to vodafone, do you suggest to phone their complaints dept and talk it through?

If I was to pay them a 5/10 quid a week would this prevent it from going to debt collectors?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

In relation to vodafone, do you suggest to phone their complaints dept and talk it through?

If I was to pay them a 5/10 quid a week would this prevent it from going to debt collectors?

Ask for credit control, or something like that. Most companies will organise some sort of payment plan, as it's preferable to writing off the debt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 nottellingyou

1. Do not ignore the debt collectors letters... You will be dragged to court and made to pay the legal fees... eventually

2. Just calling there helpdesk is not sufficent for ceasing your account with them, as you are within a contract.

and there T&C: 5.2 This Contract may be terminated by either party giving to the other at least 28 days written notice or, in the case of porting, on the completion of the porting process.

I recommend doing one of two things... E-MAIL them or contact 1907 at 9am in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭northdubgal

1. Do not ignore the debt collectors letters... You will be dragged to court and made to pay the legal fees... eventually

2. Just calling there helpdesk is not sufficent for ceasing your account with them, as you are within a contract.

and there T&C: 5.2 This Contract may be terminated by either party giving to the other at least 28 days written notice or, in the case of porting, on the completion of the porting process.

I recommend doing one of two things... E-MAIL them or contact 1907 at 9am in the morning.

Thanks for your advice nottellingyou.. I have resolved both issues now! thankg god!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭tv3

Hey,

Glad you sorted you vodafone bb.I would of told them the reception was very bad and too slow.

Anyway the best bb at the minute i think is o2 good price and coverage.I got it three weeks ago and its great;)

Advertisement