Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Receipt issues

Options
  • 06-10-2008 9:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,503 ✭✭✭

Hopefully this is the right place to start this thread.
    Got a car phone kit installed in the new car a few weeks ago. There's absolutely no issue with the kit and it works fine.
    However, I am still waiting for the guy to post out a receipt THREE FULL WEEKS later. I have rung him several times and he keeps saying "oh it's in the post" or "oh it'll be with you any day now".
    It's starting to really annoy me at this stage. What is the best way to proceed or is there someone I can report this to?
    Thank you.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Did you pay the guy cash?
    I'm guessing that you did and this the reason they are trying to avoid giving a receipt.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,503 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Payed by cheque.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭darc

Your cheque is your receipt. A receipt is just a proof of purchase, so if there was an issue with the product you'd have your cheque stub as proof and if that was an issue, you could ask the bank for a copy. - Not worth getting worked up over though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

When someone is messing me around like this, I ring them every day. If you have his mobile number, ring him outside business hours.

If he still won't cooperate offer to turn up at his work tomorrow to collect the receipt. Or just turn up at his office. This will be even more effective if his office is his home.

I used to do credit control and the aggressive approach is the only thing people like him understand, unfortunately.

Thanks for the advice. The reason I'm hounding him for it is because work have said that they will reimburse me for the kit once I get the cheque - so it's worth a bit of money.
    Time to take the aggressive approach by the looks of it. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

As far as I know, it's illegal not to provide a receipt for a purchase. I don't know who polices this though, but you could ask the consumers association. If he continues to not give a receipt, go in in person and wait till he prints it off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

jor el wrote: »
    As far as I know, it's illegal not to provide a receipt for a purchase. I don't know who polices this though, but you could ask the consumers association. If he continues to not give a receipt, go in in person and wait till he prints it off.

It's not illegal to not provide a receipt. But you certainly have to give one when requested and have the facilities to provide one.

So if you buy a can of coke in a shop, there is nothing with the shop not giving a receipt, tbh they are doing you a favour and some wouldn't even want the receipt. And you can't exactly come back an hour later and demand a receipt.

But if you ask for one when making the purchase, they have to provide one there and then.

That's for only small examples. Maybe tradesmen are different for VAT or insurance purposes.

I just remembered this thread this morning. I eventually got the receipt. He faxed it throug hto me after I rang him twice a day for three days. :P

Advertisement