Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Biggest dance acts...

• 06-10-2008 9:33am

...remember reading a few years back that the biggest selling dance act ever was C+C Music Factory, presume that was off the back of a few big sellers in the US. So what acts are the big ones of the dance scene? I guess it would have to include:-

New Order
    Underworld
    The Chemical Brothers
    The Prodigy
    Basement Jaxx
    The Aphex Twin
    Daft Punk

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭here.from.day.1

Im not big any of them but:

Faithless
    Mauro Picotto
    Ferry Corsten
    DJ Tiësto
    Scooter (..shudder)

Daft Punk, The Prodigy and The Chemical Brothers would be getting my vote though.

Would Picotto and Corsten be that big? Thought Mauro played some club in Carlow a year or so ago?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

is this for acts or djs,
    picotto isnt really an act,or corsten.
    im sure they play alot of there own material but i figures you were talking about people performing live

Sorry, wasn't meant to be just acts, but any artists in the dance/electronic one

Sorry, wasn't meant to be just acts, but any artists in the dance/electronic one
    so whos your favourite dj:D
    cool,this could go forever ha ha.
    purely on performance id have to say chuck love.he played keys,french horn,sang all while mixing tracks like a regular dj.plus it all sounded like part of the record.
    after that i cant say ive got someone who consistently did it for me,too many to list also:D

• Advertisement

seannash wrote: »
    so whos your favourite dj:D

No, not at all.

I hate Daft Punk, The Prodigy, and Tiesto, and I'm sick of New Order, but know that they are one of the biggests elling dance/electronic acts ever and could sell out 5,000-10,000 capacity venues with ease.

Chuck Love may be great, but he's not big.

No, not at all.

I hate Daft Punk, The Prodigy, and Tiesto, and I'm sick of New Order, but know that they are one of the biggests elling dance/electronic acts ever and could sell out 5,000-10,000 capacity venues with ease.

Chuck Love may be great, but he's not big.
    okay i got ya,i guess you could throw up the big trance heads alright,armin,pvd,tiesto.
    deadmaus id say is commanding big crowds id say.
    but it ca be said of any big dj these days,look at fat boy slim.he hasnt done a whole lot on the production side but he can still pack out a venue.
    but you have to include morrillo,tong,carl cox,sasha and digweed(yawn) too.just for the numbers they pull

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭MikeHoncho

Fatboy Slim
    Soulwax
    Justice
    LCD Soundsystem

Leftfield
    808 State
    The Orb
    The Future Sound of London
    The Shamen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

Daft Punk
    The Chemical Brothers
    The Prodigy
    Kraftwerk
    Justice - They're really getting big... heard somewhere that their album sold more copies that the last Daft Punk album.

The above may be a bit biased though because I'm really into them all, I suppose the tance DJs etc should be included.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 186 ✭✭holton

St. Germain. Great jazzy house. "Tourist" and "From Detroit to St. Germain" are two excellent albums.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Only Tiesto can sell out a 10,000 venue 'with ease' in Ireland. None of the other acts on this list could.

Armin van Buuren, Paul van Dyk have sold out 2,000 in recent years, which is more realistic for Ireland. As have Scooter... Underworld over two nights would have got that in Tripod last year too.

Last time New Order played here less than 1,000 were watching - and that was at a festival.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭Prefabsprouter

What about Orbital??

What about Orbital??
    what about them,i dont think they have the appeal anymore,dont think they have a young fan base anymore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

MYOB wrote: »
    Only Tiesto can sell out a 10,000 venue 'with ease' in Ireland. None of the other acts on this list could.

Ehh... Daft Punk played to 30,000 in Marlay Park not so long ago.

Jello wrote: »
    Ehh... Daft Punk played to 30,000 in Marlay Park not so long ago.

D'oh, had forgotten them.

Albeit as the final day of a "festival" (loose term of the word) with two big support acts (Justice and Digitalism).

Orbital would likely do very well - if they still existed. Was at their last Irish gig...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

meh stadium dance music.

Daft Punk, Faithless, etc would fill a 30,000 capacity gig.

seannash wrote: »
    what about them,i dont think they have the appeal anymore,dont think they have a young fan base anymore
    Its not about whether they have an appeal now (which they still do by the way). The original post does not state whether its the Biggest Dance Acts NOW or EVER..... :) And I think you'll find an entire generation of clubbers will acknowledge Orbital as one of the Biggest Dance acts. I do take your point about them not having a strong young fan base but the original poster mentioned New Order. I doubt whether New Order have a huge young fan base but they would still be considered a big dance act. Its not just about the young uns you know!!! :cool: And yes, I'm an aul fella now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

I saw Orbital at THAT gig a few years back. It was unbelievable.

jtsuited wrote: »
    I saw Orbital at THAT gig a few years back. It was unbelievable.

Had to stand through two previous acts I had no interest in to get a good position at that, amazing though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,447 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

MYOB wrote: »
    Had to stand through two previous acts I had no interest in to get a good position at that, amazing though.

sounds a bit like what I did for Underworld at Electric Picnic, I endured Grace Jones just to get a good spot for them, god, the amount off ass shaking i had to deal with was almost too much....and that's just from the auld women in the crowd:D

Not sure if I go along with the point about Orbital not having the ability to pull a big crowd because they may not have a strong youth base, look at Kraftwerk lately sure!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Down with this sort of thing.

Fúck DJ/Artist worship.

It's about having a good time and PLUR, not "who's the biggest dance act" or how x artist sold out y venue.

Its not about whether they have an appeal now (which they still do by the way). The original post does not state whether its the Biggest Dance Acts NOW or EVER..... :) And I think you'll find an entire generation of clubbers will acknowledge Orbital as one of the Biggest Dance acts. I do take your point about them not having a strong young fan base but the original poster mentioned New Order. I doubt whether New Order have a huge young fan base but they would still be considered a big dance act. Its not just about the young uns you know!!! :cool: And yes, I'm an aul fella now!
    point taken,just thought the op was interested in current big act thats all.:D

JC 2K3 wrote: »

Fúck DJ/Artist worship.

It's about having a good time and PLUR, not "who's the biggest dance act" or how x artist sold out y venue.
    my mate owns that t shirt line.PLUR.he doing it along with dj pierre.
    i had no idea it was a common phrase ha ha ha

Fúck DJ/Artist worship.

Some of the best DJ's I 've heard would never make a list like this so I do agree.

Its not about whether they have an appeal now (which they still do by the way). The original post does not state whether its the Biggest Dance Acts NOW or EVER..... :)

Yeah, it was meant to be 'ever'.

And not sure how I overlooked Oribital. Juggeranuts on the whole electronic/dance scene.

Fúck DJ/Artist worship.

I kinda agree, even though I am the OP! There are much more important artists than some that appear on the list, like say the Belleville Three (which reminds me that Inner City had a string of chart hits in the late 80s and might make it). I can't really tolerate Basement Jaxx, Daft Punk and Prodigy myself, so wasn't meant to be in praise. Just wondering who would be the most recognisable to those outside the loop. I mean, I may like Nathan Fake or Extrawelt (both pretty big names to most here I'd say), but anyone I mention them to just scratches their head.

Advertisement