Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

another rent allowance question

Options
  • 06-10-2008 9:47am

Hope this the right place, I had a look though some of the threads but couldnt find what i needed.

I am in a situation where i've been out of work for a while, up untill now family have been helping me with the rent ( 500 p/m) and i get job seekers benifit from welfare, however family can no long afford to help me based on their own circumstances. So i find myself needing rent allowance.

I understand the rent needs to be under a certain amount to qualify and is also dependant on the area you live in but I cant find any info on these.

Also i need to know what is required from the landlord. I live in a shared house but would prefer to keep contact with the landlord to a minimum if possible. I understand the scheme is means tested so will a bank statement be enough for this purpose? Also how do I contact the CWO ? do i need to ring for an appointment or just go to the local health center?

If there is anything else i need to know before I go ahead and apply please advise as its better if i hav eevery thing sorted before hand.

Oh I live in D14

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Firstly, you will need to go to the housing authority at your local council. Fill out an application to get on the housing list. You will also need to get a form from your local HSE office. This will have to be filled out by you, your landlord and the local housing office.

Outside of Dublin, the maximum amount of rent you can claim allowance on is €440 a month. If your rent is higher than that, you won't get rent allowance. It is slightly higher in Dublin, but not by much.

It is a good idea to have the following when you go to the CWO with your application.

Rent allowance form filled out by You, City/County Council housing office, and Landlord.
    Your RSI card, and P60 (you can get this from social welfare office)
    Rent book or lease agreement.

Your landlord is required to be registered with the Local authority also. If he is not registered, you wont get RA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Sheena K

Theres a €98 a week rent cap in Dublin for shared accomodation.

That means that your rent has to be €98 a week or less or they will refuse you any rent allowance.

You just need to get the form off your CWO and have your landlord fill it out.

He will have to say the rent is only €98 per week (if he says its more they will refuse you).

They will give you €80 a week and you pay the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 yellowfrog

i live in west cork and plan to move to dublin. my rent allowance here is 113 per week, does anyone know what i can expect in dublin i have 1 dependent child and am a single parent.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

You will probably have someone come on here shortly questionning why you are posting in a 30 month old thread. But to answer your question, you will probably have to re-register with the Local Authority for the area of Dublin you are moving to. Then you may have to be on their housing list for a minimum of 6 months before you may qualify for rent allowance.Make sure you contact the Housing Dept of the L.A. whose area you are moving to so as to ascertain what their criteria for housing assistance is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

HERE'S THE LIST OF WHAT WE LOOK FOR:

Show us you have been renting for six out of the previous 12 months ( utility bills going back 6 months), and a copy of your previous lease agreement

OR

If you have no bills etc then a Housing Needs Assessment from the County Council in the area you wish to Reside.

HERE'S WHAT ELSE WE WILL ASK FOR
    (Contact the Free Phone for a full rent pack with all the forms you need / guidline booklet)

-Supplementary Welfare Allowance Claim Form (SWA1)
    -Completed Habitual Residence form
    -Completed signed Rent Supplement Application form (SWA3)
    -Copy of Photo I.D
    -Proof of your income/spouse partners income (3 recent payslips)
    -Proof of savings/investments
    -Bank account details and SIX MONTHS of bank statements
    -Proof of ownership from the Landlord (insurance cert/mortgage statement/PRTB Registration letter)
    -Current Lease

We understand that its hard at times to get your hands on all the required documents in one go. If possible you should wait until you have everything and send it all in together. if you start sending in bits and pieces your application will get held up.

Any other questions relating to rent supplement are welcome.

Cheers...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

Can you get rent allowance whilst on part-time JSA? What's the income limit? I've looked on the citizensinformation site and couldn't find this info.

Advertisement