Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best value laptop at the moment?

Options
  • 06-10-2008 10:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭

After breaking my previous laptop with a bottle of Corona, I've broken my current one with a glass of Champagne. I guess this means I'm going up in the world... but still a retard. :)

So I'm looking to buy a laptop ASAP. This would be a basic spec laptop, but preferably not one of the netbooks or whatever they're called, i.e. the laptops with the tiny screens.

Are DELL my best option?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭here.from.day.1

Really depends on what your budget is, but if its that low Dell arent a bad choice (que Dell haters..)

Their Outlet store really gives good value and over the last few weeks ive bought 12 laptops from them with little or no problems. Anytime anything has gone wrong (CD drive) Dell had a replacement part at my home the next day (Standard warranty.)

If you could stretch to about €800 you would be looking at a decently specced xps m1530 from the outlet, and its a great looking machine, unlike some of their previous efforts. Anybody I know who has gotten one, or who I have gotten one for, has only had good things to say about it. Im no fanboi but.. credit where credits due I guess. :) Regardless, good luck with your decision whichever choice you make!

Edit: If your in a hurry, the outlet machines are already built and as such are usually delivered in < 5 days.
    Dell Outlet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭anthony4335

I agree ,with Dell been one of the better options, usually quite reliable and when something does go wrong, they have it fixed quickly, and if it is out of warrentee there is enough information to be able to fix them yourself. Quite like the studio models.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

(que Dell haters..)

You rang?

Yes, although I despise Dell's crappy desktops, their laptops aren't so bad. The price of upgrades is extortionate, but for a basic laptop, with no bells and whistles, it's hard to beat the price.

Also check out www.dabs.ie as they have some good laptops there. However, the delivery is with GLS, and I'd avoid Dabs because of that alone.

One thing I would advice against, is laptopsdirect.com. Never heard a single good thing about them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭jao

the small asus ones are amazingly good value.
    Great spec and very reliable too

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

(que Dell haters..)
    I hate them, hate that I always end up getting one too! since they are the cheapest usually, esp. with the outlet offers. I got a great deal on the ebay outlet.

Also OP you might want to try and see if they have weather/booze proof ones, out there!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭blah

AARRRGH wrote: »
    After breaking my previous laptop with a bottle of Corona, I've broken my current one with a glass of Champagne. I guess this means I'm going up in the world... but still a retard. :)

Is this what you really need? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Are Tescos still doing the laptop deals for €400 ? They were pretty good, imo, for basic use (ie: not gaming).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Advertisement