Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

L Drivers have things got better

Options
  • 06-10-2008 10:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭

Just wondering if anyone has noticed if there has been an improvements noticed since the new L driver laws came in. Have road deaths come down? Are there less idiot drivers out there? I just have this idea in my head that the l drivers were not to blame for the carnage on the roads, its idiots that have passed their driving tests think they know it all. Speed is the killer on the irish road and as far as i can see there is absolutly noting done about speed, speed and dangerous overtaking

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

I still see cars with L plates and 1 occupant all of the time. In fact I passed 3 on the M4 on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

suimhneas wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone has noticed if there has been an improvements noticed since the new L driver laws came in. Have road deaths come down? Are there less idiot drivers out there? I just have this idea in my head that the l drivers were not to blame for the carnage on the roads, its idiots that have passed their driving tests think they know it all.

Is this another thread by "hard done by" :rolleyes: provisional/learner driver that can't get to work/college/gym/etc,etc. Tests times are down so no more excuse's. Yes AFAIK there's been 1400 charges in September. Its lunacy letting unqualified drivers on the road for a start. BTW Road deaths are down if I recall correctly.
    Speed is the killer on the irish road and as far as i can see there is absolutly noting done about speed, speed and dangerous overtaking

Nothing done?? They've purchased 8 speed vans & I've seen more Garda speed checks in the last 3 months than over the last 3 years!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 2 Last week for the record!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

Speed is the killer on the irish road

It's so true, if we all just reduced our speed by 5 kph, it would cure cancer and the common cold!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Zube wrote: »
    It's so true, if we all just reduced our speed by 5 kph, it would cure cancer and the common cold!

...and put an end to world hunger :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Onkle wrote: »
    I still see cars with L plates and 1 occupant all of the time. In fact I passed 3 on the M4 on Saturday.

They could have been fully qualified drivers whose cars are used by L drivers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭suimhneas

Is this another thread by "hard done by" :rolleyes: provisional/learner driver that can't get to work/college/gym/etc,etc. Tests times are down so no more excuse's. Yes AFAIK there's been 1400 charges in September. Its lunacy letting unqualified drivers on the road for a start. BTW Road deaths are down if I recall correctly.

Nothing done?? They've purchased 8 speed vans & I've seen more Garda speed checks in the last 3 months than over the last 3 years!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 2 Last week for the record!!

Actually its isnt i dont drive at all by choice, i have a full licence but no car. But that dosn't mean im blind ya know

Heroditas wrote: »
    They could have been fully qualified drivers whose cars are used by L drivers.

They very well could have been and thats why I said that I saw 'cars with L plates' rather than saying I saw unqualified drivers.

Also if you are the holder of a full license it's an offence to drive while displaying L plates

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

Also if you are the holder of a full license it's an offence to drive while displaying L plates

You're kidding!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭pyramuid man

What I have noticed is the idiocy of some full lisenced drivers. I was driving over the weekend and I was overtaken along with about four cars ahead on a corner in a 60kmh zone, on a narrow bridge with a turn on it and when another car came the other way, he swinged in violently nearly causing what would surely have been a multicar pileup as it was p*ssing rain. And thats not the only time I was overtaken doing the speed limit in bad weather a dangerous corners this weekend alone. I think the standard of drivers has decreased in the last three to four months. F**king mental people out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭shoelaceface

They very well could have been and thats why I said that I saw 'cars with L plates' rather than saying I saw unqualified drivers.

is it??

that cant be right! iv never heard of that!

what all the L drivers seem to be doing is taking down their L plates to lower the risk of being stopped by the gardai at a checkpoint where they are only looking for tax or whatever! so lots and lots are still provisional but driving around with their L plates deliberatly removed

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Just wondering if anyone has noticed if there has been an improvements noticed since the new L driver laws came in. Have road deaths come down? Are there less idiot drivers out there? I just have this idea in my head that the l drivers were not to blame for the carnage on the roads, its idiots that have passed their driving tests think they know it all. Speed is the killer on the irish road and as far as i can see there is absolutly noting done about speed, speed and dangerous overtaking

Can you really measure if it's saved a life or not? Anyway it's stupid that an L driver was allowed drive alone, so whether it's saving lives or not, it had to be dealt with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

I'm pretty sure that's the case in the U.K., but not here in Ireland.
    I'd love to be wrong on that though. :D

Rovi wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure that's the case in the U.K., but not here in Ireland.
    I'd love to be wrong on that though. :D

In all fairness, even the most vigilant people wouldn't be arsed reaching in and taking down the L plates and putting up the L plates two or three times a day depending on who's driving the car!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

L plates are up on my car cos my gf is learning. couldn't be bothered taking them down.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,967 ✭✭✭✭L1011

UK law, not Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

L Drivers aren't necessarily the problem, It depends on the driving habits of the entire driving population, which isn't bad, but like some of our roads, has some awful blackspots
    (i.e. not being capable of driving at the posted limit or driving in the overtaking lane, or not having the general courtesy to pull in a little to let people pass when they're holding up traffic)

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭andrewh5

ninty9er wrote: »
    L Drivers aren't necessarily the problem, It depends on the driving habits of the entire driving population, which isn't bad,

Ye are having a laugh right? :rolleyes:

The standard of driving in this country is generally appalling! No lane discipline, driving all the way around roundabouts in the left hand lane, taking up to 10 seconds to pull away when traffic lights change, crawling away from lights, junctions etc instead of accelerating briskly away, driving with front fog lights on when it isn't foggy or snowing (illegal BTW)........ Shall I go on???????

MYOB wrote: »
    UK law, not Ireland.

You sure? A Guard tore me a new one at a checkpoint when I was driving a car with L's on it. Wasn't my car and I was insured to drive it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

tbh never heard of that one and wouldnt think it is enforced much either. could be wrong though.

andrewh5 wrote: »
    Ye are having a laugh right? :rolleyes:

The standard of driving in this country is generally appalling! No lane discipline, driving all the way around roundabouts in the left hand lane, taking up to 10 seconds to pull away when traffic lights change, crawling away from lights, junctions etc instead of accelerating briskly away, driving with front fog lights on when it isn't foggy or snowing (illegal BTW)........ Shall I go on???????

Drive in Sicily or even Spain for examples of bad driving attitudes. Apart from the unbelievable things people do on Irish roads, by and large driving here is rather comfortable.
    Some places in Europe are just menacing, with aggressive attitudes that are almost suicidal.
    Having said that, the UK is streets ahead of Ireland as an example in general of a nation with a good driving attitude.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

You can throw as many stickers on the back of your car as you wish, just cant be blocking view or making driving conditions dangerous...............your more than entitled to drive with L plates up, maybe you wold think people might take some pity on you!:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

The fact that they didn't make this a requirement when introducing proper L drivers regulations showed clearly that they weren't serious.

You sure? A Guard tore me a new one at a checkpoint when I was driving a car with L's on it. Wasn't my car and I was insured to drive it

Someone else on here was told by a Guard that you need R plates after passing your test (NORTHERN Irish law...). There's some GTC that don't know their arse from their elbow let alone the actual law.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Far less L plates on the roads.... doesn't mean there is less learners of course

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Irishpimpdude

Im a learner driver on a provisonal (not permit) stopped at a checkpoint the other day because i had no insurance disc up guard didnt even mention the fact that i was a learner... lucky one i guess, i was supposed to have my test at the start of this month but they canceled it on me and i wasnt giving a reason so have to wait another 6 weeks... till the 3rd of november so im waiting nearly 3 months from the time i first booked my test maybe more

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

jesus

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

lol no

• Registered Users Posts: 25 shaney-baby

its a stupid law!! i lost my job because of it i was driven a van for work and now i have no job as i had no one to drive around with me i asked a guard about just carrying a letter saying i need to drive for work and he said thats not valid i have to have someone with me or dont drive and now i have to wait nearly 3 months to get a place for a full licsense. its the same as anyone else who needs there car for work or old people that need it to get who need to get there shopping and not all L drivers are bad if you notice L drivers are more alert then full licensed people its not that the deaths have cum downs it because there are less cars on the road for people to crash its not just L drivers that crash the real truth behind the law is there was to much traffic conjestion and poluation so they got made this law to cut down

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Well that was a rant and a half!
    You took a job that required you to drive a van, without a license? And you feel hard done by the fact that you were stopped from driving? You were never "allowed" to drive unaccompanied on a first, third and subsequent Provisional license.
    And as for your conspiracy about being a ploy to reduce the congestion on the roads, well, it's just ridiculous, if they wanted to do that all they would have to do is introduce hefty congestion charges instead.

• Advertisement

3 months? And you applied before the date the new laws came in - three months ago?

NOWHERE has that long a waiting list for a test at the moment so either you ignored the law coming in and only applied very, very recently - or you're making stuff up. The highest wait time is less than 3 months anyway.

Advertisement