Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roaster advice please

• 06-10-2008 10:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭

After doing the maths on my consumption and cost of buying pre-roasted vs green beans I'm looking to buy a roaster.

Is the iRoast still the best bang for your buck entry level roaster? Is there anything worth looking into apart from the iRoast?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

I'm using the IRoast2 for just over a year and it does an ok job.
    My main gripe is it only roasts 150g at a time.

I'm waiting for the http://www.behmor.com/ to get launched in EU
    as it's getting great reviews in the US.
    http://www.sweetmarias.com/prod.behmor.shtml

Another option is the Hottop range http://www.hasbean.co.uk/index.php?cPath=45_28
    but I reckon your best bet is to hold off for the Behmor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

The Behmor should hopefully be available this side of Christmas.

I've had an iRoast for the best part of 18 months (i think) and to be honest I haven't been hugely enamoured with it. The roasts are too quick. It tends to impart a somewhat burnt flavour on everything. If you can't wait for the Behmor and don't mind spending a lot of money - the Hottop could be the business. Another one which I have head good things about is the Gene Café.

There is always stove top roasting with a Whirley pop type thing.

*edit* Gran Hermano beat me to it

One last thing. The economy of saving money on roasting your own isn't the best reason to go that route. There can be money saved, but there can also be waste when roasts go pear shaped etc. The reason to get into home roasting really should be about learning. You get a more intimate association with coffee, and understanding of the process.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭TKK

I had seen a few mentions on the net about the Behmor alright but I wasn't aware that it was due for a european launch. I'd hold off for it if it was confirmed to be launched in the next few months alright.

Also the cost side of it is not really the main reason behind getting a roaster. I've been interested in getting one for some time but needed to convince my (and her ;)) self first. The costs were only the deciding factor. I'm quite keen on being able to experiment with different roasts and of course having guaranteed fresh coffee on hand at all times.

it might be no harm to get a whirly pop now. Will get you going with minimal investment, and what you learn will be invaluable when you get something bigger.

http://www.sweetmarias.com/prod.stovetop-popper.shtml

I could get one of them alright. Is there much smoke?

• Advertisement

I believe so. Depends on how much you roast, but I'd open the windows and turn on the hood if you have one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Dero

Hey TKK.
    I have a Hottop roaster, and while it is a fairly hefty investment in coffee making, we use it for three branches of the family. It is an excellent machine. At first, the cost seemed excessive, but it really is a very good piece of kit. I was using a Lidl popcorn maker first, which was only €11.99 I think. I used that in the kitchen under the cooker vent hood, and while there was some smoke, it was manageable. The Hottop on the other hand, kicks out significant amounts of smoke - especially if a roast goes any way into second crack. I have it out in the garage, and with the door open, it is fine.

I have no experience of the iRoast family, but as it is a hot air roaster, it probably produces a roast somewhat similar to a popcorn maker. From my experience (still limited, and still only one blend of green), the slower roast of the drum roaster makes a nicer coffee. I'd imagine that goes for a Behmor or Gene cafe or any other drum roaster.

Whereabouts in Kildare are you? If you're anywhere near the Curragh/Suncroft area and if you are interested, you're welcome to come and see the Hottop in action. The only green beans I have currently are the Hasbean premium espresso blend, but I have had no cause for complaint with those yet.

Well you're looking at a direct correlation between amount of coffee being roasted and smoke I'd imagine, hence the increase. If the hob vent can manage the smoke then that would be fine.

I'm in Kildare town so I might just take you up on that sometime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

RE*AC*TOR wrote: »
    One last thing. The economy of saving money on roasting your own isn't the best reason to go that route. There can be money saved, but there can also be waste when roasts go pear shaped etc. The reason to get into home roasting really should be about learning. You get a more intimate association with coffee, and understanding of the process.

Cost was a factor for me. I spend a lot on coffee. I bought 500g of beans down the local supermarket over the weekend as I'd run out of my own roasted beans....11 flipping euro! Same amount self roasted: Around half that.

We go through about 5 - 800g a week at home between myself and the missus. Yearly that would work out at around 5-800 euro if I store bought all the time. It's a substantial amount.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Dero

TKK wrote: »
    I'm in Kildare town so I might just take you up on that sometime.

No prob. PM me whenever if you're interested.

• Advertisement
Advertisement