Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone upgrade Criteria

• 06-10-2008 10:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

Hubbie are on family plan 250 for 2 years this month. Still not eligible for upgrade.
    We had to buy a prepay phone when we lost his phone last Dec as they would not upgrade.
    After 2 years of average spend €100 a month for 2 phones, I am still mystified as to what the criteria is?
    Can anyone enlighten me? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

No idea. I seem to be eligible every 12 months - i.e. as soon as the minimum notice for my contract is up. I spend less than €35/month.

Maybe give them a ring and see what the story is?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

You should check if you are still in contract with vodafone. Threaten to leave. That may get you an upgrade. Is there a particular reason for staying with vodafone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 spagbol

contract was up a year ago. Have threatened to leave last Dec to no avail.
    The family plan gives us free calls to each other for €70 pm plus 250 mins between us. Bills come out at €90-100 per month. It was a good incentive 2 years ago. I guess there may be better deals available now.

ok just called again and they agreed to push through an upgrade on them both.
    Must be some block on upgrades on that plan I think. I don't think they offer that plan to new customers anymore, maybe thats why.

Thanks all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,922 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,252 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

spagbol wrote: »
    they agreed to push through an upgrade on them both.

time to jump networks, I get a free upgrade every 10mts regardless of my spend....3 are the "only" network that offer that service.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

time to jump networks, I get a free upgrade every 10mts regardless of my spend....3 are the "only" network that offer that service.....
    Pity they have such a crap phone selection though which is why I haven't upgraded from my N95.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,252 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Pity they have such a crap phone selection though which is why I haven't upgraded from my N95.

Where do you go from the N95, the Sony C905?
    Was playing with one of these at the weekend http://www.cnet.com.au/mobilephones/0,239025893,339292342,00.htm ....pretty impressed....it hadn't an apple badge but could have easily passed for an iphone3GXXX;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

N96 is due out late this month early November.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

I think you should come off perfit fit for family and go pay as you go on vodafone and opt into free vodafone calls and texts for €20 a month, would that make more sense than entering a 12 month contract- PS even if you enter a 12 month contract you can change your package plan

• Advertisement

We were pay as you go on 02 before that and we were spending at least €100 a month on credit, more like €140 at times and the hassle of having to top up. Think I'll stay contract.
    May review package and provider though.
    Hubbie's phone is banjaxed and held together with tape so he needs one sooner than later. He had a Nokia 6234 like me and had to take a 6300 pay as you go model when he lost the 6234 as they would not upgrade. He considered it a downgrade with no memory card or 3g and was never happy with it, though I had to buy another vodafone phone in a hurry as he was away/busy at the time.

Seems to me right now like you have to choose between a good camera and good email/internet. We would like 3mp camera at least but he's kinda looking at iphone/blackberry too. Likes sliders too. Won't make a decision of course, however I'm not making the decision for him this time:)

But if anyone has any suitable suggestions for €250 or under, please send them my way:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

spagbol wrote: »
    He had a Nokia 6234 like me and had to take a 6300 pay as you go model when he lost the 6234 as they would not upgrade. He considered it a downgrade with no memory card

the 6300 takes a memory card. In fact it takes the same memory card as the 6234

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    the 6300 takes a memory card. In fact it takes the same memory card as the 6234

Actaully you're right, sorry. But they didnt't provide a card with it and he lost his with the 6234.

I'm looking at the 6500 slider. Might do him. Ticks all the boxes and only €169. Probably still have to buy a card though.
    Gonna give the iphone a while to mature I think!

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭danger mouse

Really every 10 months? i was with them 10 and a half months last year and asked could i upgrade and they said no. Even after telling them that my N73 was ****ed. i was spending 150 euro with them ever month So went over to O2 where my spend was somewhat the same. told o2 i couldnt get coverage so then back to vodafone, where my bill is only around 70 euro a month, doubt i'll get an upgrade for a while with that spend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Walkman wrote: »
    N96 is due out late this month early November.
    But what will 3 charge though? An upgrade to another n95 is dearer than buying one sim free and no contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Wile E. Coyote

I could never understand the criteria for getting an upgrade. I've been with Vodafone for the past two years. Average spend of about €70 per month. I've just become eligible for an upgrade at 'special online prices!' so went in on-line to have a look and it's actually €1 more expensive than if I was signing up to a new contract. How do they work that one out? Sent them an e-mail querying it but no response as yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭cojomo2

ok i dont get what every1 is going on about..its simple...once u are out of contract(usually 12 mnths)..if u u dont get an upgrade..simply leave and rejoin on the same day and there you go..new phone at upgrade price, or close enuf to it anyway...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

I was on to them yesterday about changing my billing address. I asked about the upgrade (I'm on choices 400, Which is 400 minutes, 400 texts and free vodafone to vodafone calls) and they told me it's 12 months or a 2k spend, whichever comes first

cojomo2 wrote: »
    ok i dont get what every1 is going on about..its simple...once u are out of contract(usually 12 mnths)..if u u dont get an upgrade..simply leave and rejoin on the same day and there you go..new phone at upgrade price, or close enuf to it anyway...

o2 charge a fee to reconnect after you've disconnected

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

cojomo2 wrote: »

Most networks (O2 f.e. is 60 days) don't allow you to avail of new customer offers until you're off billpay with them for a while. If you rejoin within this timeframe they will just reactivate your old account.
    o2 charge a fee to reconnect after you've disconnected

No they don't unless they've introduced it only recently (last couple of months).

Random wrote: »
    No they don't unless they've introduced it only recently (last couple of months).

i tried to reconnect someone once and they said there'd be a €44 charge. this was a few years ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

i tried to reconnect someone once and they said there'd be a €44 charge. this was a few years ago
    They must have left their contract early and not paid their bill or just had a bill outstanding or something. In my experience there's no charge (again, unless in the last few months).

Advertisement