Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Men and weight

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭ryoishin

Thats me! and infact I said if someone stood infront of me insulting me in the cinema I would knock them out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

I'm 5'7".

From a peak of 13 stone, I lost about a stone of that in short order at the start of this year (kudos again to G'em and the fitness people for the excellent advice~sadly I left my fitness log lapse, but kept beavering away.)

I hit a wall at that stage though, and rose a pound or two before cracking on again.

My target now is 11 stone dead, at which point I hope any increases will be in muscle mass alone.

I'm about six pounds off it, which is considerably better than 24 ;)

I'm in a much better place-I indulge in some form of exercise every day now, be it running cycling, weight training (including body weight exercises-which rock), I haven't smoked for six months, and firmly believe I never will again, I no longer drink pints, limiting myself to bottles, or a couple of glasses of wine, always red.

To those who find fault with themselves and shrug, fair enough. I was one of you throughout my teens and twenties. It takes a complete change in mindset to gain an appreciation for your body, which I firmly believe is the biggest obstacle. If you have drive, even just to make a little change, things will fall into place.

I'm not where I need to be yet, but for the first year ever, I won't need to make a New Year's resolution to "improve my health" that I won't stick to, because I've already done so. One step at a time.

It's only as hard as you make it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭celestial

I'm in a much better place-I indulge in some form of exercise every day now, be it running cycling, weight training (including body weight exercises-which rock), I haven't smoked for six months, and firmly believe I never will again, I no longer drink pints, limiting myself to bottles, or a couple of glasses of wine, always red.

To those who find fault with themselves and shrug, fair enough. I was one of you throughout my teens and twenties. It takes a complete change in mindset to gain an appreciation for your body, which I firmly believe is the biggest obstacle. If you have drive, even just to make a little change, things will fall into place.

I'm not where I need to be yet, but for the first year ever, I won't need to make a New Year's resolution to "improve my health" that I won't stick to, because I've already done so. One step at a time.

It's only as hard as you make it.

This is a really excellent post. Something that would sit well in the Fitness forum for someone looking for advice/inspiration. It really is all about getting that bit of drive to make a change - the results lead you on from there.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Its quite strange actually because I eat like a horse the whole time too, must have hollow legs (!) or a very quick metabolism or something

I'm the same,

A standard day at work food wise would be,

Breakfast at home: 3 Weetabix
    Breakfast at work: 2 white toast + hard boiled egg

Lunch- can be anything for lasagne and chips to a roll with me and salad to 10 potatoes with gravy.

3pm Snack: Usually a choc bar

Dinner: Usually a warm up packet of crisps, then meat, veg and lots of potatoes

After dinner: Snacks!

Generally I eat a lot but would snack rather than have massive meals, I eat a lot but i eat often so maybt that has something to do with it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

I find it scary the amount of schoolkids you hear panting after climbing the stairs at the DART station.Whatever about lads in their twenties carrying a bit extra from all the boozing&chippers that's easily turned around but when you see these kids who are fairly overweight from their early teens and before it seems kind of wrong somehow.
    *shrug*

Op was just about to post something similar, was visiting a school earlier in the week and went into a class room and out of the 20 or so kids there who would be around 16-18 a good half were pretty f**king hefty looking.

Now I would be pretty fit and at their ages I was playing football 5 times a week, in the gym 3/4 times a week along with swimming and running with the dog. In fairness my diet was pretty s**t but I was so active it didnt make much difference, One kid walked up about 15 steps and I thought he was going to pass out.. I was thinking maybe its glandular:rolleyes: but then I see him at lunch time tucking into chipper, the kids in school now are a death time bomb waiting to happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

I'm overweight at 14st 8lb/93kg, 6'1" but nothing problematic. Blood pressure, cholesterol etc are all fine. I'm happy so long as it stays roughly where it is at the moment, if my weight starts trending up over 15 stone I start dieting/exercising to bring it back down again. At 14 1/2 I don't look very overweight, feel very heavy and can walk the 2km to college at a fast pace without feeling breathless or tired. That's enough for me really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Cully

Don't trust BMI...

I'm far from ideal, but if you looked at me, the last thing you would say is that I was overweight, yet my BMI is 28, which is closer to obese in the overweight section.

Here's an example... Here's a picture from a few years ago, but I have virtually the same build/weight/look now as I did then.....

<<Piccie>>

My BMI is so high because I have very big legs... which you can't really see from the pic. Anyway.. I have a huge gripe about BMI, which no amount of whinging can fix, so I'll leave it at that ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

im well over weight but dont have the motivation to do anything about it. i know i should and always have good intentions ! for example the 700 euro/year jackie skelly key ring pendant that i have been carrying around.
    I used to be quite active with a number of things but a back injury got me out of that a number of years ago and i havnt moved onto something else.

I know i should - health wise. the doctor told me that my blood pressure was like 180/100 i think he said... if i had that high i would be dead !
    got my own on and its more 140/90... which i know still is bad.
    but i havnt died yet ! ... which bring me back to the motivation to do something about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

I'm 6ft tall and weigh 13stone, 20 years old. I think I just about fall in to the normal weight category but a pound or two more would see me in the overweight category. Totally unfit though!

Just over a year ago I was only 10 and a half stone. Was really underweight back then and I felt like complete **** all the time because of my poor diet and lack of eating. Feel much more energetic and in better moods these days since I started eating better food, more food and put on this weight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

I'm 5'10 or 5'11, 17, and 64kg(10 stone) for the last..3 years or so. No matter what I eat I've never gained a pound!

I'd probably be considered underweight - but imho I'm just the perfect weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭Flex

Im 23, 5'11" and weigh about 200lbs or about 91kgs. Suppose that makes me technically overweight, but my bodyfat % is about 10-12% or so Id say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Cully

Flex wrote: »
    Im 23, 5'11" and weigh about 200lbs or about 91kgs. Suppose that makes me technically overweight, but my bodyfat % is about 10-12% or so Id say

The problem is that people with lots of muscle are quite heavy... even if they have 2% bodyfat.

If you have 10-12% bodyfat, then most likely you'll be able to see your abs without having to flex anything. I'm about 14%ish and I'm *almost* able to see abs... but I eat too much junk to be able to lose that last bit of weight...

IMO... Best thing to determine if you are overweight or not is a MIRROR. Look at yourself and you'll know if you are overweight or not... don't trust BMI or a weighing scales. They don't know how much muscle or water you have in your body compared to fat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Cully you're on the right track here in the context of body weight, condition and compostion. Body weight, BMI index and any other method which does not measure body compostion is inaccurate and at best a complete waste of time for anyone interested in their health status. I personally am about 14 stone and 5' 11" and I would be classified as over-weight by many methods of body analysis out there. My bodyfat is low around 11% without any gym training so my body is in above average condition, i integrate excercise into my lifestyle, walking to places, cycling and doing physical work now and again. Measuring your bodyfat % is the only way to accurately determine if you are in good physical condition- generally if you are 18-20% bodyfat then you are carrying an average amount and posing yourself little to no health risks. Remember though that very low bodyfat % is not healthy either as about 3-5% on average is required for men for normal bodily functions! If you are carrying an excessive amount of bodyfat dont worry it is relatively easy to take small steps to lose some of this fat. Excercise is key and you dont need to spend 7 nights a week in the gym or any- find an activity that you enjoy which requires good physical excersion and you're well on the road to success. As for dieting I would steer clear of them completely everthing is good in moderation including fats and sugars, if your diet isn't balanced take small steps to improve it gradually and stick with it, for example take less sugar in your tea, less butter on your bread and/or cut back on the amount of alcohol you drink, increase the amount of fruit and veg you consume. Do it all in small increments, remember nobody can endure the tortures of a diet- they are destined to fail (the diets) because they are poorly designed. Very very few people have the motivation to suddenly drop every eating habit they've ever been accustomed to and just start on even a moderately strict diet. A diet is useless if it doesn't result in a long-term change to one's eating habits. Another thing about diets which I would disagree with is the fact that most of them reduce the amount of calories you comsume by too much- the body then responds by going into a stavation mode so to speak(meatabolism slows down and bodyfat is conserved) as it is programmed to survive- genetics. Instead of burning fat it holds onto it. Conversely if you reduce your intake and increase the quality (see the food pyramid) of calories and integrate that into a lifestyle with some excercise the body will burn the fat and condition itself. PS there is no ideal body out there, due to genetics, frame, bone mass, muscle mass etc. but eveyone has the potential to have their own body in ideal condition.

I have a link to a book I read on this topic(if anyone wants it)-its a must read for anyone wanting to improve their health by losing excess bodyfat. It was an excellent read and very easy to implement into my life- I'm improving all the time!

Advertisement