Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wholesale alcohol licence

Options
  • 06-10-2008 11:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭

Has anyone ever heard of a wholesale beer/alcohol licence or how to apply for one?

Also, does anyone know where to apply for an off sales alcohol licence?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

Bren1609 wrote: »
    Has anyone ever heard of a wholesale beer/alcohol licence or how to apply for one?

Also, does anyone know where to apply for an off sales alcohol licence?

Thanks

best to get an agent to handle it for you, most of the off licence licenses are bought up in advnace by the large retail companies (BWG, ROC etc) with deals done before the pub even closes down so you'll be waiting quite a while if your looking for it yourself.

Get a solicitor to do the permission end of it, put your planning notice in the Irish Examiner as no one ever reads it and you'll get no objections by the local residents, you'll have your licence before the busybodies have a chance to object.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭DubTony

By way of Application to your Local District Court.
    You can expect to pay approximately €170,000 at present.

I've heard the market value of a full license is down to about 140K these days.

I believe there is a wholesale license available. This might be what the OP is about. This does not require the "closing of a pub somewhere" but restricts the sales to cases only. No single cans, bottles, 6 packs allowed. I've no idea how you get one but I've been told they cost about €1,000.

Revenue is a good place to go for this type of info.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭onedmc

a wholesale
    Thanks

The person asked for WHOLSALE, I can't understand why you would need to pay a fee of 140K for that.

Are you trying to tell me that all these new beers and spirits that have arrived in the last few years payed a licencing fee - no way.

No idea how it works but i cant imagine that there is any problem setting up as an agent as long as you meet the tax requiremens. As for setting up a bonded warehouse that has be fairly complicated and costly.

Onedmc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

onedmc wrote: »
    The person asked for WHOLSALE, I can't understand why you would need to pay a fee of 140K for that.

Are you trying to tell me that all these new beers and spirits that have arrived in the last few years payed a licencing fee - no way.

No idea how it works but i cant imagine that there is any problem setting up as an agent as long as you meet the tax requiremens. As for setting up a bonded warehouse that has be fairly complicated and costly.

Onedmc

"Also, does anyone know where to apply for an off sales alcohol licence"

With respect he asked for details on BOTH

• Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

onedmc wrote: »

Yes they did

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Bren1609

DubTony wrote: »
    I believe there is a wholesale license available. This might be what the OP is about. This does not require the "closing of a pub somewhere" but restricts the sales to cases only. No single cans, bottles, 6 packs allowed. I've no idea how you get one but I've been told they cost about €1,000.

Revenue is a good place to go for this type of info.

Thats exactly what I'm looking for. Does anyone know how to get this?

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭00011000

As a wholesaler, are you legally entitled to deal with an end-customer, rather than a retailer?

For example, if I set myself up as a wholesaler of alcohol, can any Joe Soap open an account with me and I'll supply alcohol to his home on credit.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Tangled

You'll need a bonded warehouse, must fulfil criteria set out by customs and excise. Speak to your local c+e officer.

• Advertisement
Advertisement