Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Failure to produce NCT/insurance certs

Options
  • 06-10-2008 11:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭

I am in court for failure to product nct and insurance certs.

I had them and can produce them now.

Whats the fine and is there a conviction possible?:eek:
    Tagged:

Comments

kathy2 wrote: »
    I am in court for failure to product nct and insurance certs.

I had them and can produce them now.

Whats the fine and is there a conviction possible?:eek:

Do they cover the time you were stopped?

If so the fine will be for "failure to display" relativly minor
    else "failure to have" quite serious ( the insurance anyway)..

As to fines... I have no idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭kathy2

They were valid for the time, anybody any idea what the fine is and if there is any kind of a conviction. I really badly need a clean record as I am about to apply for a job that requires a clean record and this is a personal disaster for me!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,792 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Then get a solicitor in the area where you are being summonsed who is experienced with court work. Try to get someone to recommend a solicitor to you in that area. If you have a solicitor somewhere else, ask him to recommend someone in that area.

Presumably you were given an opportunity to produce the documentation at a Garda station, and didn't. The problem here is that if you failed to do this, the Garda is going to regard you as taking the mick. Ths is a bad situation to be in with a Garda.

It's conceivable that the solicitor may even be able to get the Garda to drop the charges. I would not depend on this.

If you get convicted, I don't think your licence will be endorsed and I don't think you will lose any points. Still, it's a bad business.

This will cost you a couple of hundred euros in legal fees and maybe a few hundred more in fines if convicted. But get the solicitor if this is really important to you.

This happened the day I got christmas holidays from work and I did go to the named garda station but they have limited hours, so went home for christmas and forgot all about it!! Did not get summons till 10 months later and court next month!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭lynchie

Just bring proof of both for the PERIOD in question. Bring your insurance cert, NOT disc. Make contact with the Garda who summonsed you before the court starts, explain the situation, show him the details and he may agree to strike out the charges. Either way, make sure you stay until your case is called and you hear the Garda asking for a strike out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

If you were asked to produce your NCT cert then I am guessing that you either didn't have the disc on the windscreen or the NCT was not done on the car. If the disc was on the car it would be very unusual to be asked to produce the cert.

My advice to you is call the station where the Garda is stationed at and ask when he or she is working next. Then meet with the Garda and show all your documents to him/her and maybe just maybe he/she might look for a strike out at court without you even attending. This could save you a day in court and fines.

With regards to the fines, it really depends on the judge. It could range from €50 each to €250 each. There is a conviction but no penalty points.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭dowlingm

Are the legal representatives for the state permitted to accept de facto plea bargains, especially if it is clear that it is solely a failure to have possession of the documents rather than failure to obtain them at all?

Plus there's a good chance the cop won't show in which case, case dismissed...

Turned up the garda turned up and asked for it to be wiped, the judge called me and I stood like a tool at one side while she wiped it.

Thanks for replies:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

A very interesting post.I'll rememebr this if I ever am in that situation

I would think myself lucky if it were me. Moral? at all costs dont get involved with the Law at any level if you can help it.You rarely come out ahead in my experiance.Good luck with the job btw

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

Well I would expect that anyway. Common sense rather than law prevailed...

• Advertisement

The guy in front of me had some stupid excuse for no insurance and got fine 350.

A lot seem to be wiped, its all interesting too see for some one who was never there before!!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

kathy2 wrote: »
    Turned up the garda turned up and asked for it to be wiped, the judge called me and I stood like a tool at one side while she wiped it.
    Then repay the karma - make a charitable donation or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

I don't get this, this is like the provisional driving licence debacle,
    people were breaking the law,
    why should we give them a chance to be compliant?
    On the contrary, the penalty should be MORE cert for those that have an NCT cert more than 6 months out of date!!!!

Dempsey criticised over new penalty points roll-out

02/05/2009 - 08:35:16
    The Transport Minister is under fire for failing to provide enough time for motorists to have their vehicles tested before the roll out of new penalty points.

SGS, which operates NCT centres, says its website crashed repeatedly in response to an unprecedented level of inquiries since the announcement last month.

Since yesterday, drivers will get penalty points for driving vehicles without a certificate of roadworthiness.

Fine Gael's Transport spokesman Fergus O'Dowd said the panic could have been avoided.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

its the job of the Opposition to say this....you dont expect them to agree with the Govt do you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

corktina wrote: »
    its the job of the Opposition to say this....you dont expect them to agree with the Govt do you?

the opposition should be saying that Dempsey & co are incompetent spanners,
    they should have made it a fine to drive without an NCT before now,
    instead
    we had confusion in relation to their legislation yet again,
    this time about whether an NCT cert was necessary in order to purchase Motor tax or if not having it could negate your insurance policy.

But no, the opposition go for the populist approach!

What the opposition should be calling for is the Minister to actually do something proactive - such as setting minimum prison sentences for clocking cars!

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭voojeq

Hi folks, recently i got stopped by Gardai on the checkpoint and my nct was expired.

I've explained that got nct booked on 13th friday this month, Gardai asked me to produce valid nct and insurance cert on nearest gardai station in blanch village.

What happens if my vehicle fails the nct test? Also can i sell this piece of junk and buy a new car?

What happens if i won't show up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭DDigital

voojeq wrote: »
    Hi folks, recently i got stopped by Gardai on the checkpoint and my nct was expired.

I've explained that got nct booked on 13th friday this month, Gardai asked me to produce valid nct and insurance cert on nearest gardai station in blanch village.

What happens if my vehicle fails the nct test? Also can i sell this piece of junk and buy a new car?

What happens if i won't show up?

If you don't show up then it will go to court and if you don't show up in court the fine will be large. Bring the insurance cert down to the Garda station with the letter from the NCT confirming your test date. There shouldn't be a problem after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭dowlingm

My advice would be to bring in the failed nct result and the rebooking appointment. They may then give you a second grace period to get it passed. Remember you could have gotten it done prior to expiry and didn't so you're already getting a chance, don't take the mick by just thumbing your nose at the 5-0.

Selling the car might be an option but I would still call to the station ASAP and ask the duty officer whether producing a certificate of sale would be sufficient to settle the matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭voojeq

thanks for replies lads

getting nct is not that easy these days tho

i noticed one month before my nct expired, i rang them up to schedule and they were stuffed so the nearest date was 13th of this month

if it wont pass ill sell it as i don't really feel like adding more money to a car worth 500 euros

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭DDigital

voojeq wrote: »
    thanks for replies lads

getting nct is not that easy these days tho

i noticed one month before my nct expired, i rang them up to schedule and they were stuffed so the nearest date was 13th of this month

if it wont pass ill sell it as i don't really feel like adding more money to a car worth 500 euros

If you booked your NCT before the previous cert expired and the date given to you was the 13th of August, you have absolutely nothing to worry about. As I said produce the letter confirming the test date.

• Advertisement
Advertisement