Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vandalism to Cars

Options
  • 06-10-2008 11:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭

Just wondering did anyone else have their car vandalised around Thomond Park last Saturday night while the match was on? Complete mindless behaviour:mad:

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I hadn't heard about that, but shame on anyone who did engage in such pointless, idiotic behaviour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Hadnm't heard anything, where did it happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭TripleAce

I moved to town last year, and in the last 10 months this is what I got:

January: side window broken and car radio stolen
    February: right front of the car banged + front wipers broken
    May: back wipers broken
    June: left front of the car banged
    July: right mirror broken
    September: right front door banged

I am lucky I drive quite an old car, that would be in perfect condition if it wasn’t for these scumbangs, and surely I am not going to change car until I live in Limerick City…...they should put CCTV all across town and nail those scumbags losers hanging around!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭MCOS

Hadnm't heard anything, where did it happen?

Caherdavin, near the school. Spoiler ripped off the car :mad:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

My last car got done in in Limerick and all. Few years back now in Dooradoyle. Outside my house! One mirror kicked off, both doors kicked in and the roof jumped up and down on repeatedly. Absolutely sickened me when I saw it. Decided, **** it, dont let them ruin my night so drove up to galway to meet a friend and head out. When I woke up the next morning, some galwegian with a sense of symmetry had kicked the other wing mirror off and all! It's a ****ty thing to do. I reported it and of course got nowhere, but if there is CCTV of it it would be great if some justice was done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

....some galwegian with a sense of symmetry had kicked the other wing mirror off and all!
    Sorry, I know it wasn't funny, but that made me laugh out loud.... :)

(bastards)

I had to laugh too. The morning after, you'd be pissed off, and then one of my mates started sniggering and it was all I could do to have a giggle myelf.
    When it rains it pours.

TripleAce wrote: »
    I moved to town last year, and in the last 10 months this is what I got:

January: side window broken and car radio stolen
    February: right front of the car banged + front wipers broken
    May: back wipers broken
    June: left front of the car banged
    July: right mirror broken
    September: right front door banged

I am lucky I drive quite an old car, that would be in perfect condition if it wasn’t for these scumbangs, and surely I am not going to change car until I live in Limerick City…...they should put CCTV all across town and nail those scumbags losers hanging around!

Jaysus! I think it can only be jealousy that they don't have a car like it so they damage it... typical begrudging mentality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

this kinda stuff is ahhhhhhhh!!! not worth thinking about. idiots, pure idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Just a bit of a justice story for you

4 scumbags (3 guys and a girl) driving a car, stopped in our estate and tried to break into my brothers car one night.

My mother is a smoker with Tinnitus so one morning at about 2.30am, while smoking a cigarette outside she saw 3 guys at my brothers car. The car was slightly obscured from view but when she heard glass breaking she roared at them what did they think they were doing.

2 of the scum ran away into our estate to try and hide. The third guy and the girl got into the car. By this time my youngest brother came out and grabbed the first thing he could find which was a metal tube of an ab roller.

He ran out and tried to block the road so that the scum bag in the car couldn't get past. In typical scum style he tried to run my brother over. My brother side stepped the car and hammered the windscreen with the ab roller bar. This shocked the driver and he came to a stop, he then tried to take off quickly again and smashed the gear box of his car. SO he was stranded and now facing, my dad, my two brothers, 4 of my neighbours and me. My mother immediately rang the gardai and they came down and arrested the girl and the guy.

The gardai were very good and asked us to wait up, they called a recovery truck to take his car away and they wanted us to tell the recovery guy which car it was. We thought that the two guys who ran away were long gone. My dad asked my mam to describe what they looked like and 2 minutes later, lo and behold, the two fools start walking across the top of the estate. So the 8 of us go up and roar at the 2 guys to stay where they are. Mother rings the gardai again and they come down and arrest the 2 lads.

Caught them all. Very sweet feeling as it was the 4th time a car was broken into outside our house.

Still, now we have to live in fear of revenge vandalism.

• Advertisement

Fair play vegeta!

MCOS wrote: »
    Jaysus! I think it can only be jealousy that they don't have a car like it so they damage it... typical begrudging mentality.

Well I am actually just driving an old Fiat Punto……I don’t think there is much jealousy there (although I love my car) :D

It’s a left hand drive car with Irish reg though – so this may piss off the scumbags when they can’t figure out how this can be possible…..I am not bothering fixing it (I fixed only the wipers and the mirror) as it is not worth it, I know that I could wake up any morning with some new memory-gift. I am more frustrated from this people than annoyed by the damage itself. CCTVs in the city centre should be everywhere IMO. Weekends nights are especially bad....I could see young guys (no scumbags, just students I guess) jumping over cars just for fun after getting out of the night clubs..... :mad:

Fair play vegeta!

Cheers, man when I heard him make minced meat out of the gear box the smile on my face was just epic.

The guy driving was only out of prison a short while.

Really no fear at all of the law or anything. Complete scum who fear nothing. How do you combat that

Vegeta wrote: »
    Still, now we have to live in fear of revenge vandalism.

Fair play to you Vegeta - this is the downside though....unfortunately these scumbags are just cowards and you never know what to expect from them. Unless something changes with the way these cases are handled by the law, we will always have these problems.

I bet they were probably released overnight - for vandalism like this I would still send them to jail for a couple of months or some 500 hours rehabilitation work just so they have time to think about it next time!

TripleAce could you buy a cheapish cctv set up on ebay and install it. They can be got for fairly cheap. Just something functional. Not something crazy now.

TripleAce could you buy a cheapish cctv set up on ebay and install it. They can be got for fairly cheap. Just something functional. Not something crazy now.

The problem is that I leave the car on the street (live in town).....no private parking I am afraid :(

Yeah unfortunately that is an invitation to trouble alright.
    Move out to castletroy! Or one of those nice gated apartments where secure parking is available. The cost of getting a private parking place in a multistorey is restrictive, and there is a waiting list on any place I tried when I was looking for parking in town.

Yeah unfortunately that is an invitation to trouble alright.
    quote]

I know you what you mean by this! I hate this phrase (no offense just in general ;)) I have lived in Japan and Germany in heavily populated cities where you can leave your bike unlocked or your door open which would be true invitations to trouble but 9/10 the law isn't broken. Its not to say that these places are holier than the grid of limestone upon which we live, it is just so annoying that you have to constantly have an air of suspicion to completely avoid trouble. Mindless vandalism is akin to any urban area but it does seem that relatively speaking Limerick suffers from an inordinate proportion of hoods to the general population.

Don't get me wrong, I like Limerick to an extent. However I was running down the dual carraigeway a couple of weeks ago and a van drove past rolled down the window and threw something at me just for the fun. I wasn't inviting trouble by running on the side of the road nor am I pointing out specific instances for the sake of it.

I hate the fact that I cannot cycle my bike into work, because I'm afraid it will attract trouble. Instaed I will have to get a cheap second hand bike that wont attract the mindless vandal roaming the streets in little hooded packs.

I'm glad a couple of them were caught in the act and thank you for sharing that with us.

OK, vent over :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

Or one of those nice gated apartments where secure parking is available.

I live in one of those gated apartment blocks. but guess what! they don't care! They just climb over the fence, smash the windows, rob the radios and back out over the fence. It's a pity that you can't put high voltage to the fence. wouldn't mind see them being grilled!

the management company thinks it's more important to CCTV the bin area (in case you put your newspaper into the glass container) instead monitoring the carpark... scum in a way too...
    MCOS wrote: »
    However I was running down the dual carraigeway a couple of weeks ago and a van drove past rolled down the window and threw something at me just for the fun. I wasn't inviting trouble by running on the side of the road nor am I pointing out specific instances for the sake of it.

that happened to me so many times too. I lived in Switzerland and Germany and have been on many occasions in London and Chile. Only in Limerick scums are roaring at me out of cars or if you pass them on the pavement. Only here they are throwing stones and glass bottle after me and my dog. Only here that human vermin is spitting at me. Sometimes I'm getting really sick of Limerick.

And then Limerick people are surprised and angry about the bad reputation that city has??????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 apricot

I caught a young fella pouring tippex along all the cars on our street the other week, had to do something so grabbed him, the sister called to cops and everything, really sick of that stupid behaviour. poor fella didnt know what hit him when a squad car, paddy wagon and eight guards arrived.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Tell ya what i live near thomond park and i feel like taking a bat to some cars parked in our area during matches. Nothing worse than arriving home from work and having to bugger off because some ass in a BMW parked in front of your driveway or because some guy in a 4X4 parked in the middle of a CUL DE SAC blocking 6 other cars. I'm not saying vandalism is right but i can understand it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

One of the Lads myself and Vegeta know was getting his Garden vandalized where
    some ass's were breaking all of their terracotta pots and wreaking the place.
    He had enough of it and installed a CCTV camera (from ebay) to a Laptop and had
    it motion activated.

Same feckers returned and broke into his girlfriends car, they made **** of the door by using brute force and bend some of the metal.

Anyway.....they were caught and recorded on CCTV. The Footage was Black and White and very Grainy and the FPS was crap too. I looked at it but could not make out proper faces however when the Local Gardai looked at it...several of them in the station appeared to know instantly who the Culprits were. Not sure what the story is now but I do know that
    one of them's was facing charges.

~B

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Wetbench4

Wouldn't it be great if you could just plug your car in at night and electrify the door handles, then sit back and watch the shams get the shock of their life. Or those flame throwers for the side of cars that they had in south Africa that burn the legs of car thiefs.It would be worth the extra bills from bord gais.

Tell ya what i live near thomond park and i feel like taking a bat to some cars parked in our area during matches. Nothing worse than arriving home from work and having to bugger off because some ass in a BMW parked in front of your driveway or because some guy in a 4X4 parked in the middle of a CUL DE SAC blocking 6 other cars. I'm not saying vandalism is right but i can understand it.

I understand your frustration in this respect. Drivers can be quite disrespectful too. However, would you condone vandalism in any respect? My car was parked legally and apparently 'out of trouble'!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 beanflick

I live in one of those gated apartment blocks. but guess what! they don't care! They just climb over the fence, smash the windows, rob the radios and back out over the fence. It's a pity that you can't put high voltage to the fence. wouldn't mind see them being grilled!

the management company thinks it's more important to CCTV the bin area (in case you put your newspaper into the glass container) instead monitoring the carpark... scum in a way too...

that happened to me so many times too. I lived in Switzerland and Germany and have been on many occasions in London and Chile. Only in Limerick scums are roaring at me out of cars or if you pass them on the pavement. Only here they are throwing stones and glass bottle after me and my dog. Only here that human vermin is spitting at me. Sometimes I'm getting really sick of Limerick.

And then Limerick people are surprised and angry about the bad reputation that city has??????

Man-Up will you !!! Happens in every populated city in the country. England is 10 times worse. Its a big bad world out there, a lot of people need to grow a spine .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

beanflick wrote: »
    Man-Up will you !!! Happens in every populated city in the country. England is 10 times worse. Its a big bad world out there, a lot of people need to grow a spine .

Having lived in several cities across the world, London being one of them, I can say that you are wrong.
    None of them have come close to this place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭cancan

Thats bs - I have lived in 5 countries around the world, and mindless scum with no respect for personal property seems to be an irish trait.
    You have to bloody nail your hard earned goods down in ireland to prevent some lowlife from helping themselves to it.

Accepting it as the norm, brings you down to their level, and doesn't say much for you.

It should not be acceptable full stop.

This, "ara, tiz the norm" bs is just that - bs. The fact that these scummers continue to drain states coffers is a black mark against all of us. 'Bout time people put the foot down on all this ****e.

Preventative policing is the answer - the fear of getting caught needs to be push up a huge amount.
    No point having a garda presence after the fact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭BarryCreed

bring back corporal punishment and forced labour

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Yeah - "man-up", its ok to be spat at, have glass and stones thrown at you and be verbally abused by knacker scum - just be glad you don't live in England [????] Horsesh|t

- Your attitude just accepts and condones the behaviour of the missing chromosome minority Beanflick, in my opinion its not that far from saying "oh fcuk it" and just joining in with them........

FFS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

As other poster said it before: it might be the norm for you (and probably the likes of you - which speaks for itself). But is it not the norm in a civilised world!

Advertisement