Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second fix

Options
  • 06-10-2008 11:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭

Hey folks,

Just wondering if anyone knew roughty how much it would cost to carry out 2nd fix carpentry in a house?
    Hanging doors and door frames
    Skirting and architrave
    timber floors.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29 MargeS22

All depends how many doors, door frames, skirting and architrave there is to do. No one will be able to give you a price unless you give more details

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭whitelightrider

MargeS22 wrote: »
    All depends how many doors, door frames, skirting and architrave there is to do. No one will be able to give you a price unless you give more details

Sorry Marge. There are 18 doors, 650 ft of skirting and architrave and timber floors (semi-solid) in 7 rooms and the landing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Rough rule of thump - depends on your area - but here, its about €85- 100 to hang a door inc architrave, €30 to hand a frame and €5 per cut to shirting or roughly €35 per room.

Screwing and plugging skirting and architrave would cost more. Hardwood might also cost more.

Cost is important but a good Carpenter is would his weight in gold, there are a lot of cowboys out there. Get three quotes from local reputable Carpenters.

RKQ wrote: »
    Rough rule of thump - depends on your area - but here, its about €85- 100 to hang a door inc architrave, €30 to hand a frame and €5 per cut to shirting or roughly €35 per room.

Screwing and plugging skirting and architrave would cost more. Hardwood might also cost more.

Cost is important but a good Carpenter is would his weight in gold, there are a lot of cowboys out there. Get three quotes from local reputable Carpenters.

Well at least that gives me an idea so I can budget for it. Ill give 3 guys a call and see if I can get prices from them. Thanks again.

Ok folks, got 1 price so far but want to gauge whether this is expensive.
    Quoted €3,350 labour for the following:

Fit door frame for 18 doors
    Hang 18 doors - hinges and handles
    Skirting and architrave - approx 620ft
    Floor 8 rooms and a landing in semi solid oak

Id be grateful to hear what you all think of this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭harly1516

its the best deal I've heard in years jump on it quick

Cheers. I have 1 other price to get and Ill compare them. It did seem very cheap. Ill see if I can get him down a bit :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

Cheers. I have 1 other price to get and Ill compare them. It did seem very cheap. Ill see if I can get him down a bit :)

be careful of cheap tradesmen. get references. although since the downturn , lads have been pricing lower and lower. good deals to be had for people looking to renovate. good time to fix up your house.

gsxr1 wrote: »
    be careful of cheap tradesmen. get references. although since the downturn , lads have been pricing lower and lower. good deals to be had for people looking to renovate. good time to fix up your house.

Went to see some houses this guy did and they look really good. Got him down to 3,100 and hes starting Monday week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Well done whitelightrider, you did all the right things and it seems to have paid off. You got a few quotes, visited his previous jobs, negiotated his original quote. Agreed a price and a start date... good luck.:)

• Advertisement

RKQ wrote: »
    Well done whitelightrider, you did all the right things and it seems to have paid off. You got a few quotes, visited his previous jobs, negiotated his original quote. Agreed a price and a start date... good luck.:)

Cheers! And thanks to everyone here for the advice. I honestly dont think the house would be as far if it wasnt for the advice on boards. T minus 3 weeks to moving in :)

Advertisement