Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have the Green's gone underground?

Options
  • 06-10-2008 11:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭

Perhaps its just I have missed some news reports and radio shows over the past 2 weeks, although I have caught a lot of them, but it seems to me almost like the Green's have gone underground while the financial mess has been hitting hardest and the Government bailing out the banks.

Have they gone quite and if so why?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Villain wrote: »
    Perhaps its just I have missed some news reports and radio shows over the past 2 weeks, although I have caught a lot of them, but it seems to me almost like the Green's have gone underground while the financial mess has been hitting hardest and the Government bailing out the banks.

Have they gone quite and if so why?

They are doing their bit by cutting carbon emmisions.
    The less politicans speaking, the less hot air, the less carbon dioxide being emmitted.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

According to one paper today Gormley is going Spazzo about litterbug punks not being taken out by the ERU and the courts going leniently on them. Whatever you do, don't drop your P.45 on the way out the door or you're goin' down scuzz-bag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 madden1

If they have disappeared who'll miss them!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,311 ✭✭✭markpb

I guess they're letting FF take the heat for financial problems which are (mostly) of their own making.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

Rest assured, come the budget the greens will be taking all the blame for the green taxes they "forced" FF to introduce.

Bye bye Trev and John.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭rollie

To be completely honest, they are acting like they know their place. They can't argue what they believe should be happening finance wise in their position with the climate taken into account, baring their obvious "ministers should get paid less" but everyone expected this (FF don't mind, if they accept it then its a success for the collation if not then its just a necessary cry from their smaller partners that need to been seen to be keeping their promises; the greens would have been week fooked either way if they hadn't). I don't think this will hurt them in anyway shape of form

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

rollie wrote: »
    To be completely honest, they are acting like they know their place.
    Did the PDs know their place when they effectively ran the country for a decade on the back of a tiny mandate? I may not have agreed with a lot of what they said and did, but fair fecks to them, they made sure their voters' voices were heard. The silence from the Greens is a disgrace, but no more than I expect given the attitude they've had since going into Government.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭rollie

Chalk and cheese. The greens have hind sight, of course they aren't biting off more then they can chew they dont want to suffer the fate of the pd's

rollie wrote: »
    Chalk and cheese. The greens have hind sight, of course they aren't biting off more then they can chew they dont want to suffer the fate of the pd's
    It may be too late for that, although the local elections will paint a clearer picture. Remember that the Greens got a lot of transfers from FG and Labour voters.

In any case, the Greens were, to my mind, a very ideologically-driven party. Surely it's more important for them to try punch above their weight in the short term and get their policies in place for the future, rather than simply trying to ensure long term political survival? At least, that was the impression they used to give to voters.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

They went blue when they got into government?

• Advertisement

kmick wrote: »
    They went blue when they got into government?
    Fianna Fáil's colour is also green ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 985 ✭✭✭spadder

Gormless is busy working on his light bulb strategy. He will present it to the nation and it will lead us out of the recession. Then he will tackle light bulbs in the health service.

spadder wrote: »
    Gormless is busy working on his light bulb strategy. He will present it to the nation and it will lead us out of the recession. Then he will tackle light bulbs in the health service.
    Can he switch a few lights on around the Cabinet table? Or are they on but no one's home? Surely that's not very green...

Edit: just seen on the news that's exactly what he's been doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

in fairnes to the Greens...

if they had got into government earlier the Social housing problem might have been tackled quicker.

they would have insisted on better building standards for houses etc. some of the shacks thrown up might actually retain their value

some of the monstrosities and ridiculous housing schemes built around the country might never have got planning permission

there might have been much better investment in rail and buses and modest sized roads... instead of building tolled motorways where they really are not needed

there would be grants for older houses to improve their insulation standards and that could be keeping lots of builders in business

• Closed Accounts Posts: 985 ✭✭✭spadder

in fairnes to the Greens...

if they had got into government earlier the Social housing problem might have been tackled quicker.

they would have insisted on better building standards for houses etc. some of the shacks thrown up might actually retain their value

some of the monstrosities and ridiculous housing schemes built around the country might never have got planning permission

there might have been much better investment in rail and buses and modest sized roads... instead of building tolled motorways where they really are not needed

there would be grants for older houses to improve their insulation standards and that could be keeping lots of builders in business

Had the greens been in government earlier we would have realised earlier what a bunch of spineless, self promoting media whores they actually are and they would now be gone. Watch them go the way of the PD's. Mark my words.
    The world economy is in meltdown and these clowns are trying to change lightbulbs!!! How much has this scheme cost the taxpayer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

spadder wrote: »
    Had the greens been in government earlier we would have realised earlier what a bunch of spineless, self promoting media whores they actually are and they would now be gone. Watch them go the way of the PD's. Mark my words.
    The world economy is in meltdown and these clowns are trying to change lightbulbs!!! How much has this scheme cost the taxpayer?
    The world climate is in meltdown and FF wants to build motorways. How much will this scheme cost the taxpayer? €18 billion.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Our infastructure is far far behind all our competing countries, borowing to build infastructure is sensible and required

Advertisement