Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Using leg float for Arms only (F/C).

• 06-10-2008 11:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭

To make my swim sessions more interesting I went out and bought a few floats so that I can concentrate on arm only and leg only to add a bit of variety to the swim session. I would normally just jump in and do two 750m swims (training for sprint triathlons).. but am getting bored with that.
    The arm float to do kick-only.. no hassle.

But I was surprised at the experience with the leg float:

Firstly, I put it relatively high up my thighs and kicked off.
    Straight away I had the feeling that I was off balance (kind of like the first time in a canoe.. all wobbly like!:eek:).

I tried it a little further down the legs... closer to the knees, this helped a little (I think, but not much).

Overall I found it quite uncomfortable and in particular found it hard to turn my head to breath.

Is it a case of getting used to it or are there any technique tips you might share for using these leg floats?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Killgore Trout

Never used leg floats so can't comment on them.

BUT...2*750M is pretty boring all right. Why not break it up into smaller bits? I train for OW races usually from 1,000 to 2,000M but it pretty rare that i get in the pool and do that kind of distance in one go as we'd all get bored.

for 1500M you could get in

200M warm-up

2*200M

4*100M

6*50M

200M Swimdown

The warmup and swimdown are easy.

If you know this already apologies...

It's not going to be any use breaking it up if you're taking breaks for too long. Work out your 100M pace from the time it takes you to do your 750M. use that to work out the target times for each distance.

Aim to finish the distance under the target time - if you finish 5 seconds early you get 5 seconds break till you start the next one etc... Also don't spend too long between each group.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

Id agree that 2 * 750's must be a little boring after a bit - there are loads of ways to do 1500 depending on what you're looking to improve

Just some examples
    300 warm up, 5 * 200's, 200 swim down - rest between 200's or off a time your choice
    400 warm up, 3 * 200's, 6 * 100's ...
    the list is literally endless

With regard to the leg float - its just a matter of getting used to it ... their primary use is to perform pull sets ... concentrating on shoulder and arm strength and a long stroke ... placing it high up between the thighs is best in my opinion and usually leads to you swimming more and spending less time stopping to go back for your float

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Poloman

Personally I hate leg floats. You spend so much time concentrating on holding the damn things between your legs i used to lose up losing the point of the exercise.

What I used to use was get an old car tyre tube, cut yourself a large rubber band or so.. say about 2 inches long. Then wrap it round your ankles.. Bingo.. Now all you have to do is power with your shoulders through the water and also your legs have no bouyuncy support and this makes you work harder to stay afloat.

Trust me it much beats using leg floats.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭DaDa

Thanks for the various pointers.

Advertisement