Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless problem

Options
  • 06-10-2008 12:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 28

Hi
    My wireless broadband doesn’t seem to work anymore in the kitchen . the modem is in the sitting room because that’s were the phone line is. Eircom have said that its because the phone is interfering with the connection. We have a portable phone and they say this is the reason that it doesn’t work in the kitchen anymore.
    Seems strange as we have always had both phone and modem there. Problem is that the only place we have a phone line.
    Is what eircom said true or are they just fobbing me off??
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭azzeretti

Jabba90 wrote: »
    Hi
    My wireless broadband doesn’t seem to work anymore in the kitchen . the modem is in the sitting room because that’s were the phone line is. Eircom have said that its because the phone is interfering with the connection. We have a portable phone and they say this is the reason that it doesn’t work in the kitchen anymore.
    Seems strange as we have always had both phone and modem there. Problem is that the only place we have a phone line.
    Is what eircom said true or are they just fobbing me off??
    Cheers

Switch the phone off and then try the connection?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

You dont say what computer type you have - if it is a laptop have you tried moving it around to see what the wireless signal is like elsewhere?

Have you changed anything else lately in the house that might be causing interference? Have you tried changing the channel that your wirless network is on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Jabba90

Its an imac . signal works everywhere bar kitchen . have tried changing channel to no avail. wont pick up signal in kitchen. same set up as always nothing new.
    turning phone off is not much use. not going to turn phone off everytime i want to use mac in kitchen.
    surely eircom are fobbing me off phone is hardly interferring?
    cheers

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Jabba90 wrote: »
    Its an imac . signal works everywhere bar kitchen . have tried changing channel to no avail. wont pick up signal in kitchen. same set up as always nothing new.
    turning phone off is not much use. not going to turn phone off everytime i want to use mac in kitchen.
    surely eircom are fobbing me off phone is hardly interferring?
    cheers

In fairness to Eircom (and the other isps) a wirless network is not their problem to support and if the signal is working everywhere bar the kitchen there there is obviously some sort of problem causing that.

You dont happen to have a sky wirless sender or any other wirless device in the house? Are there any neighbouirs networks that might be interfering with you?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

Instead of spending a lot of time on the phone to Eircom just buy one of these.

http://www.dabs.ie/ProductView.aspx?Quicklinx=3YXV&CategorySelectedId=11177&PageMode=1&NavigationKey=11177,4294952681&InMerch=1

It gives you a network over your ESB power points.

• Advertisement
Advertisement