Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kennel cough Q?.

Options
  • 06-10-2008 12:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭

My puppy developed a cough last night, brought her to the Vets this morning to be told she's got Kennel Cough.

The Vet said she's most likely caught it from meeting another dog with it, and that most likely my older lad will get it from her.

He's got her on Anti-Bio's, and gave me a course for the other lad.

Anyone here any experience of it, and can it lead to complications etc?.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭minxie

my dog developed kennel cough, after a course of tablets it eased.
    with my dog it recurres every year if not twice, vet advised me
    to give a small spoon of benylin for kids cough syrup
    (works a treat)....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

minxie1 wrote: »
    vet advised me
    to give a small spoon of benylin for kids cough syrup
    (works a treat)....

I forgot to mention that was one of the recommendations, thanks.

Mairt wrote: »
    I forgot to mention that was one of the recommendations, thanks.
    no worries. :)
    another thing is to keep the dogs collar a bit loose, as it can irritate a
    lot.if bringing for walks etc use a harness instead, takes the
    pressure off the throat...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭slumped

Get him vaccinated against it.

S

minxie1 wrote: »
    no worries. :)
    another thing is to keep the dogs collar a bit loose, as it can irritate a
    lot.if bringing for walks etc use a harness instead, takes the
    pressure off the throat...

I don't use collars, I hate the look of them on a dog.

Here's my two guys, Ruby (the puppy) is the one with the cough..

attachment.php?attachmentid=64322&d=1223131591

• Advertisement

ah they are gorgeous.....
    they look so well cared for....:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭~Thalia~

Mairt wrote: »
    My puppy developed a cough last night, brought her to the Vets this morning to be told she's got Kennel Cough.

The Vet said she's most likely caught it from meeting another dog with it, and that most likely my older lad will get it from her.

He's got her on Anti-Bio's, and gave me a course for the other lad.

Anyone here any experience of it, and can it lead to complications etc?.

Hiya Mairt - Did the vet not suggest vaccination? Get the two of them vaccinated against it. It's a shot up the nose (they will HATE it) but it lasts for a year and in case you ever have reason to put them in kennels most reputable kennels will insist on it so it's handy to have them done in case ye go on hols and need to leave the two in kennels or of course just to stop them picking it up cos it's an awful thing for the poor mites to have!

Hope little ruby gets MUCH better soon :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭mary123

In may i paid nearly 150e to get all my dog kennel vac before i went on holidays, only in kennels 4 days and guess what they all developed, one by one. Yes kennel cough. apparently its like the flu virus there are so many strains around that it doesnt protect against them all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Tired

Hey Mairt, two beautiful dogs you have there, when we got our pup he got what we thought was kennel cough even though he is vaccinated against it. Luckily enough it wasnt but I did a lot of reading up on it and thought this might put your mind at ease.....

When your pet falls ill, it can be extremely distressing. We humans have a routine for caring for our sick, even children; hot soup, bed rest, some cough and cold medicine from the local drug store. The afflictions which befall our pets, however, are often unfamiliar and alarming.

After all, there’s no where else for our four-legged friends to turn to in times of infirmity. So when your faithful family hound catches kennel cough, you may find yourself swimming in strange waters. Guarding against and treating canine respiratory infections is a part of every dog lover’s life, and having the right information will see you both through this trying time.

Also known as canine tracheobronchitis, kennel cough refers to a highly contagious class of viral and bacterial ailments which spreads rapidly among dogs in close quarters, such as in a pet store or veterinarian. Both viral and bacterial agents play a role in the complex, much as in human bronchitis, making the syndrome difficult to diagnose.

Therefore, if you feel your companion is showing symptoms, consult your veterinarian by telephone rather than visiting the office, as this could not only expose your pet’s weakened immune system to further infection, it might bring the epidemic to the other dogs in the waiting room.

The best protection against kennel cough is prevention. A series of vaccines have been developed to guard against the various microorganisms responsible for the disturbing spates of coughing and choking, including the parainfluenza virus and Bordetella.

Once kennel cough has been contracted, the treatment course is much as it is for humans with similar infections. Antibiotics are prescribed if bacterial causes are determined, as well as a week or so of naptime in a freshly scrubbed room away from other dogs.

Viral infections generally ease in that time if no additional infection occurs. Untreated cases may degenerate into pneumonia, so it is important to keep the environment as free of contaminants as possible.

Nearly all dogs will come down with kennel cough at some point in their lives. Fortunately, with awareness, treatment, and love, recovery can be quick, and you and your pet can move on with life as usual.

Thanks for all the advice (and nice comments re. my dogs) guys.

The Vet mentioned vacinations but also said that they don't always work and didn't push for them.

At least I know from you guys that I shouldn't be expecting any nasty complications from the cough, thanks again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

As a kennel owner, I do insist on the Kennel cough vaccine, but it can be a pretty futile exercise really, as it only covers 70% of the virus. Its just like the flu in humans, different strains are always mutating, so its impossible to cover every one.

I'd also suggest putting some honey into the drinking water, that helps with the sore throad.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

mary123 wrote: »
    apparently its like the flu virus there are so many strains around that it doesnt protect against them all.

Kennel cough is just similar to us having a cold. It may/may not lead to complications e.g pneumonia. Its fairly common and with time (7-10days) symptoms should disappear. If hes experiencing breathing problems, lethargic,not eating or coughing up greenish mucus this will indicate that its developing into something more serious!

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭beth-lou

Yes, we fostered a dog from the pound and about two weeks later two of our dogs showed symptoms. I brought them to the vet and he gave me a course of anti-biotics for all four dogs even though the other two weren't showing symptoms. After 5 days it cleared up, although one of them did show symptoms after two days, even with the anti-biotic. But they all cleared up after a week, so I would give the healthy dog the medication too.
    It is horrible to hear them cough. It looks so uncomfortable.
    Beautiful dogs as always.

Once again a big thank you. You've all been a huge help.

Sometimes she does look uncomfortable, but it hasn't stopped her playing, eating or drinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Beth

Oh god Mairt you have my sympathy. Its a big strain on humans if two dogs get it. Our little fella got it, and then the big girl got it, talk about tiring.

It incubates for 3-5 days before showing signs and can last 12-20 days but can progress to pneumonia if not treated.

Some people vax against it, some don't because of the different strains. Those that don't have found echinacea (brown bottle is the better stuff) added to their water can boost their immune system and with a healthier immune system they seem to be able to fight it off without coming down with it.

Probiotics (yoghurt) can also help with the good bacteria while they're on antibiotics.

When they cough up the fluid, make sure you wipe it up straight away, and use a disinfectant on the area. One can cross contaminate the other, even if they both have it.

The small fella got an injection with his antibiotics and didnt get it as bad as the rottie (not the greatest immune system due to bad start). She hates injections so the vet advised us to steer clear of it, and avoid putting her under further stress while sick. She was on double the normal dose of antibiotics and 5ml of Baby Benelyn morning and night.

We were also told give a bit of honey morning and night to try ease their throats a bit and it had something else that would help them (the raw ingredients or something, cant remember - i was too tired!!)

Advertisement