Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How will the budget affect Social Welfare payments?

• 06-10-2008 1:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭pandamoanium

Anyone care to share their views on how the new Budget will affect Social Welfare payments?

Given that the cost of living (price of Petrol/Diesel, home heating oill, groceries etc..) has gone up over the past 12 months,will payments go up to be in line with this?

Or given the recession that is now upon is and what with the Government down on Stamp Duty takings etc.. this year, will payments stay static, or worse yet, be decreased?

Would a decrease be feasible at all? Would there be uproar? Or would people just have to take it or leave it?

Given that Social Welfare recipients are most likely to be the most vulnerable in society, who will be hardest hit by hikes in interest rates, food bills, gas and electricity etc.. should the government be doing more to keep their heads above water with an increase in payments, or should they be left to feel the pinch also like a lot of people are nowadays?

What way do you think it's going to go?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

If I recall correctly, SW payments have only ever been reduced once in the history of the state.

I would imagine there would be a rise, but it won't be a 10 or 12 euro rise like we have had in recent years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭ports best

They should feel the pinch like the rest of us all, why should they be any different, thats my opinion anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭kinkstr

ports best wrote: »
    They should feel the pinch like the rest of us all, why should they be any different, thats my opinion anyway

Yes because there living it large now arent they:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭ports best

yes well some of them i know are living it large now, so why should they get a way with it, why are they different to anyone else

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

yes well some of them i know are living it large now, so why should they get a way with it, why are they different to anyone else

Just because some skumbags are too lazy to work and prefer to milk the system doesnt mean that the other 99% of people genuinely in need of welfare payments each week should suffer.

With just the gas and esb gone up not to mention the cost of living in general ill be absolutely sh$@ing myself when the bills come in.

I don't have it too bad compared to others I know, one guy with 3 kids a house to pay for and just last week his gf also lost her job.

Any increase would be a help but being on welfare is a long long way off having full time employment.
    They should feel the pinch like the rest of us all

the pinch you feel is a long way off what some of us are feeling :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

I know too many people who went from college straight to the dole. Its as fashionable now as going to Oz used to be. I think this should be stamped out. i.e Under 25? Sorry, no dole for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭pandamoanium

If I recall correctly, SW payments have only ever been reduced once in the history of the state.

I would imagine there would be a rise, but it won't be a 10 or 12 euro rise like we have had in recent years.

I personally don't recall payments ever going down before, was this many years ago? Like during the 80's or something? Don't suppose you remember anymore details? Would be curious to find out more about this and the circumstances.

If there are people you know "living it large" whilst claiming social welfare I would have a large suspicion that they are also in receipt of income from other undelcared sources / spouses living with them undeclared etc.. in which case do your bit to stop it and report them.

Other than that I really can't see how anyone in receipt of E198 per week could be deemed to be "living it up" once food and bills are paid for. Doesn't leave room for much else..
    calex71 wrote: »
    Just because some skumbags are too lazy to work and prefer to milk the system doesnt mean that the other 99% of people genuinely in need of welfare payments each week should suffer.

With just the gas and esb gone up not to mention the cost of living in general ill be absolutely sh$@ing myself when the bills come in.

I don't have it too bad compared to others I know, one guy with 3 kids a house to pay for and just last week his gf also lost her job.

Any increase would be a help but being on welfare is a long long way off having full time employment.

the pinch you feel is a long way off what some of us are feeling :mad:

Gosh I feel sorry for your friend, awful situation to be in.

There's been talk in the papers that this year a lot of people are going to have to choose between food or heat this winter. What an awful position to be in.

If Welfare payments don't increase much after the budget this year it would be nice to see some sort of heating/fuel allowance given to them. Every little helps!

I know too many people who went from college straight to the dole. Its as fashionable now as going to Oz used to be. I think this should be stamped out. i.e Under 25? Sorry, no dole for you.

Yeah I have to say I know a fair few that fit that description alright. Of course it would be unfair to tar all under 25's like this. I suppose after 4 years of college a lot of them feel like taking a well earned break. Then again, the way the economy is atm a lot could be finding it difficult to find work in their fields of choice, whilst I'm sure some would take minimum wage jobs, I'm sure there are others who would look down their noses at this after spending 4 years getting a degree and may prefer to just get the dole and a rental allowance which nearly works out as the same as a weeks minimum wage..

Yeah I have to say I know a fair few that fit that description alright. Of course it would be unfair to tar all under 25's like this. I suppose after 4 years of college a lot of them feel like taking a well earned break. Then again, the way the economy is atm a lot could be finding it difficult to find work in their fields of choice, whilst I'm sure some would take minimum wage jobs, I'm sure there are others who would look down their noses at this after spending 4 years getting a degree and may prefer to just get the dole and a rental allowance which nearly works out as the same as a weeks minimum wage..

At present I think theres a requirement that you must be out of college a number of months (3?) before you can claim the dole, Id like to increase this to 2 years. If you are taking a "break" you're not in the same situation as a couple paying a mortgage who've just lost their jobs through no fault of their own

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭jaycen

Really doubt if payments will bve reduced but they'll probably start getting tighter about who actually qualifies (about time IMO), don't see much in the line of a rise either though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭pandamoanium

At present I think theres a requirement that you must be out of college a number of months (3?) before you can claim the dole, Id like to increase this to 2 years. If you are taking a "break" you're not in the same situation as a couple paying a mortgage who've just lost their jobs through no fault of their own

Very true indeed.

However it would be massively unfair to have a blanket ban of 2 years out of college before you could claim for dole - what about those who failed exams and couldn't get jobs? Whilst I'm sure the vast majority of graduates would have no problems get a job of some sort there'll always be a few who'll slip through the cracks and it would be very unfair to leave them with nothing to live on.

• Advertisement

I just want there to be some way of stopping what I see as an abuse of the system. If you finish college, worked hard but cant find a job then I do feel for you. I have the accute sense that I couldnt change job at the moment if I wanted to. Market conditions are beyond people's control.

However, if you've been in college you are still living with or off your parents 99% of the time. You dont need the dole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

I personally don't recall payments ever going down before, was this many years ago? Like during the 80's or something? Don't suppose you remember anymore details? Would be curious to find out more about this and the circumstances.

Happened in the twenties I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,551 ✭✭✭jaffa20

I don't think there will be a reduction but there won't be much of an increase. In my opinion, those who claim the dole but are fit for work should have to carry out a minimum of 25hours community work. I don't think it is fair to restrict graduates from claiming the dole as they are finding it the hardest at the moment. I just graduated and can only find short contracts with **** money yet i've accepted them as i don't want to take advantage (which many do) of our system. I also think there should be regular check ups on those who claim the dole as there are people getting an income elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

What Jaffa said. Want the Dole ? Earn it, we've got loads of graffiti to be cleaned up & streets to be swept.

I'm earning €13k a year less than I was two years ago because I lost my job, but I've a family to support so I work in a different field to what I was in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

I went on the dole after I finished college this year.

WTF was I supposed to do for money while I looked for work?

I filled out the application forms, had sufficient PRSI contributions and
    *qualified* for the payment.

Money doesn't grow on trees for the under 25's and not a big fan of Oz
    either tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Sheena K

Id be very suprised if they put the payment down.

Im not expecting an increase though, Id like one of course (who wouldnt).

Id like to see people like me finally brought above the poverty line or an increase in the rent allowance caps. Thats something I would prefer actually along with more spending on building new council houses.

Unfortunitly I heard that the government is already freezing all spending on new social housing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 mattDL

What I would like to see is Fás intervening from day 1 of a customers claim. At the moment they won't see anyone until they are 3 months signing on (under the so-called Employment Action Plan). This applies especially to young single people with poor work records, poor levels of education etc.

I'd also like to see the Back to Education allowance scheme tightened up so that courses/studies that offer a real chance of employment down the line are only approved. Where I work there seems to be a lot of "artists" being approved.

Pay-Related Benefit should also be brought back to give a cushion to people who are laid off after a lifetimes work. It beggars belief that a single person who has worked over 40 years gets the same amount as an 18 year old signing on on their birthday without having done a days work in their lives.

The Department of Social Welfare should also address the tens of millions in fraud overpayments that haven't been repaid. This can easily be done by liaising with Revenue to have deductions made from their Tax-Free Allowances. At the moment we need the customers permission to make deductions from their dole !!

I'll think of more later (or maybe write a book on the subject)

Back on topic I'm curious regarding the christmas bonus in the budget? Do people think this will be cancelled this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭The_Hustler

At present I think theres a requirement that you must be out of college a number of months (3?) before you can claim the dole,

There is no such requirement.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 polts

Back on topic I'm curious regarding the christmas bonus in the budget? Do people think this will be cancelled this year?

I dont think they will stop it, whats the point they will get most of it back in tax as people will spend it on christmas presents

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I went on the dole after college for 9 weeks, don't hate me.
    I'd say out of 35 in our class, only 10 got related related graduate jobs immediately and the rest of us fecked off to Australia or worked in bars, hotels and call centres.
    Believe it or not, jobs can be hard to get and is it un PC to say I was competing with thousands of Eastern Europeans. Oh and thousands more students for a hotel job in Galway city.
    I've no problem with getting the dole, I certainly had to pass an interview, house inspection and get multiple documents and 9 weeks of waiting to be approved. And I've paid it back 100 times over, must have by now on 41% tax.
    That's just my story Kaptain Redeye, not all graduates are wasters.
    You're thinking of Arts students :P

Happened in the 1920's. The Minister Ernst Blythe cut the pension for certain, I suppose welfare was cut too. It was famous, people still talk about it. Or maybe I'm just a history nerd :o

why do threads in this forum always seem to descend into for and against arguments for the social welfare? People not sticking to the topic and giving out should be banned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,551 ✭✭✭jaffa20

why do threads in this forum always seem to descend into for and against arguments for the social welfare? People not sticking to the topic and giving out should be banned.

Clementine Whining Nail banned for an off topic post about off topic posting on a social welfare thread :D

Advertisement