Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PES 2009 General Excitement Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭TheGreatOne

Eh I think I'll be taking that review with the slightest pinch of salt, absolute fanboyism, I honestly can't take that guy seriously at all, and i hope no-one else does, apart from Bill of course who already has.

I'm very much looking forward to making my own mind up on this release mind you. It can't be anywhere near as sh1t as PES08, fingers crossed, and if I can pick it up for €35/40 in tesco on the 360 I'll feel somewhat less aggrieved about being ripped off last year for a piece of complete junk.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

When I played it last night , on most things he is pretty much on the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,845 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=260781

Eurogamer review:
    PES09 7/10, FIFA09 8/10

There's a new King in town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭TheGreatOne

Bill wrote: »
    When I played it last night , on most things he is pretty much on the money.

Well if your right then we're all going to be very happy gamers, I hope you are;)

• Registered Users Posts: 45,747 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

i do find fifa gets better marks in a big way down to presentation and graphics. While they are better in FIFA, no argument really (though some player models in FIFA are laughable), I do find Pro is still getting better marks for gameplay in a lot of reviews - which suits me.

also, that Eurogamer review ha a big critism of the 8 way movement in Pro in comparison to the freer movement in FIFA - which is a horrid joke. FIFA has 8 way movement just the same as Pro does.

I think that Eurogamer review is a bit biased towards FIFA myself, as it is bigging up FIFA in ways I don't think it deserved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,845 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Tauren wrote: »
    i do find fifa gets better marks in a big way down to presentation and graphics. While they are better in FIFA, no argument really (though some player models in FIFA are laughable), I do find Pro is still getting better marks for gameplay in a lot of reviews - which suits me.

also, that Eurogamer review ha a big critism of the 8 way movement in Pro in comparison to the freer movement in FIFA - which is a horrid joke. FIFA has 8 way movement just the same as Pro does.

I think that Eurogamer review is a bit biased towards FIFA myself, as it is bigging up FIFA in ways I don't think it deserved.
    You'll defend PES to the grave won't you.

I, on the other hand, won't stand for another poor PES game, Konami need to buck up their ideas, fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Kanney

Some people who ordered on shopto.net have theres already. What're the chances of getting it tomorrow? I've always gotten mine a day early. at least

ShaneU wrote: »
    You'll defend PES to the grave won't you.

I, on the other hand, won't stand for another poor PES game, Konami need to buck up their ideas, fast.

Erm...whatever...

Another poor game - only 1 iteration of the Pro series has been a disapoointment imo - PES2008, and I still enjoyed that. Konami have released FAR more enjoyable football titles than Fifa, but hell, PES2008 wasn't amazing so Konami OWE me, right?

Where have i unfairly defended Pro? I said Eurogamer used Pro's 8 ways movement as a big stick to beat it with, in comparison to the 'cloud of possibilites' FIFA offered, neglecting the FACT fifa has 8 way movement just the same as Pro does.

I have said FIFA is enjoyable but the pace of the game is too slow for me, with dribbling and longrange shots a near impossibility.

What is unfair about what I have written. If you are going to have a go at me, backup what you are saying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭givyjoe81

First off, you seem to have misread the title of the thread..

After that, if you think PES is slow (based on the demo) how the hell can you be liking FIFA? I have bought Fifa, and its an ok game, enjoyable enough, but it is much, MUCH slower than Pro. Maybe if you played a few games and formed an opinion it might be better.

As for the Champions League, it is a seperate mode to the ML.

Lads, what on earth are guys on about fifa slow?! A bazillion times quicker than last years and its probably a little too fast, the ball does be hoppin all over the shop at times stupidly fast. As for other comments about not being able to dribble past players, il let you in on secret.. it's cos your not very good at the game! It takes a while to get used to it but if give at while you figure it out.

I do think Fifa shot themselves in the foot this year by listening too much to the noob head fifa clowns who complained about last years version and have taken a couple, no large leaps backwards on Euro 08, which was a super game and Fifa 08 which was fantastic too. I think it's more like the old fifa's being ridiculously easy to score, polar opposite the above mentioned games. Seriously they were so close to perfection with Euro 08 it was such a let down.

Having said all that, PES 2009 is INCREDIBLY BORING... granted i was up late playing the demo but jesus it was a dull affair. No excitement, just god awfull boring. I cant really say anthing more than that until playing the full game, but i think if they havent fixed the lag problem then it's game over, no excuses as far as im concerned for that. What has to be remembered is that have failed miserable on every next gen version so far, they even fooked up with pro evo 6 was a great game on ps2 but monkey nuts on the next gens.

And what strikes me about so many people in here is that they blindly stick to their brands. fifa or pro evo no matter how good or bad the other is. It's ridiculous, seriously who gives a flute who makes it or what its called, but so many seem to be fooled by previous incarnations of what used to be such a good game. I hope its not true but lads its a very real possibilty that this is the final nail in the coffin for pes, no matter how badly some people cling to the past.

Believe it or not im excited about getting the game but have an awfull fealing i will horribly let down like last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,049 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

review from a user on ocuk
    played PES09 for a few hours this afternoon, in fact 4hrs straight....i couldn't put it down.

It's back to the old skool gameplay from before 08 and it plays nothing like PES08, i don't know why anyone would base their opinions about a game from the demo........demos generally play nothing like the final release.

As far as FIFA v PES this time around i gave FIFA a good play this last couple of weeks but there's still something missing, it's got a great collision/animation engine but the control is still not there for me especially shooting which has always been the bane of FIFA.....shooting and general control is too sluggish/lethargic.

It's a fine game this year is FIFA but it just doesn't feel fun when i'm playing......the power based passing is a double edged sword in that the more i play the game the more it just annoys me and i spend that split second too long in tight surroundings deciding how much to apply. It is also impossible to just run past players w/out resorting to a trick or similar which does my head in.....it really is like pinball in the middle of the pitch.

anyway back to PES09 here's just some quick things i've noticed, i can't be assed rambling on anymore so i'll just do them in point form.

- long passing is fixed you can perform long passes across the pitch which don't look like they were fired as a missile.......can also apply some wicked floaters with R2/R Trigger
    - no more defenders who can catch up to anybody on the break....get henry/ronaldo/messi in front and invariably it will stay that way although there's still opportunity to get closed down but it's not rediculous like last year
    - better control of the ball....messi can pull some crazy moves in tight spaces ...not insane tricks like with FIFA just more believable type control which can still put the defender off ...you can pull 360's with the better players with the directional stick/pad too.
    - the game plays pretty fast but you don't get that pinball effect in the middle of the pitch ala FIFA.
    - graphics are pretty decent i would say, in fact when close up in replays the animation is nice....players no longer look like they're running with corn cobs up their pie holes......not perfect but ALOT better.
    - transfers are complete BS......berba at spurs, robinho at madrid etc etc ...nothing the edit screen can't fix in 10-15 mins but still annoying....will they ever learn???

so is it the best PES/Winning Eleven?? too early to say but probably not but a hell of a lot better than that POS from last year and i would say that anybody who likes the PES series shouldn't be dissapointed and FIFA definitely has competition. i think the PC version will be the best in the next couple of months once the mods start getting released, it has potential to be very good, especially once those modified option files get released with modded attributes to slow the gameplay a little.....it could be a very nice game

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭brian plank

someone on my friends list was playing it earlier on ps3 and said the online was perfect. in saying that though pes is the only game he plays so he will be biased.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭spudwiser

givyjoe81 wrote: »

And what strikes me about so many people in here is that they blindly stick to their brands. .

Well I personally have rented out fifa this year and plan to do the same for pes...so there!!!!!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Keith186

I seen on a forum on boards earlier, probably on xbox one that they're releasing an update for the game on release date that is apparently going to update the transfers so fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Keith186

Keyzer wrote: »
    When a game in the demo gets to stoppage time, press start and then select top menu and start a new game - this eliminates having to watch the video...

Didn't notice that myself, cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

Having played it last night myself, this review somes it up perfectly.

Btw I loved it so much, and sh!ts on Fifa and the pes demo.

http://www.pesgaming.com/showthread.php?t=64022

Wow that sounds really fair and dosen't sound like it was written by Seabass at all :rolleyes:

I guess I'll put it in here. What transfers need to be changed immediately, well what ones will ye be putting in.
    Robinho,Berbatov,Riera,Finnan,Pavlyuchenko,Quaresma,Saha,Voronin.
    They're all I can think of off the top of my head. I dont think deadline day transfers are in? Or will they be in the update tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭armour87

I was thinking of starting a thread on this Kanney, that's about all the ones I know and then there's:

Felliani - Everton
    McCartney - Sunderland
    Corluka - Spurs
    Campbell - Spurs
    Xisco - Newcastle

Transfer update won't be til november - which will apparently include updated kits (BLUE UNITED KIT :D) and champions league badges.

http://www.winningelevenblog.com/news/details-on-pes-2009-update/
    Konami unveils first PES 2009 club update as eagerly-awaited football epic hits stores across Europe…

As Konami Digital Entertainment GmbH’s PES 2009 hits stores tomorrow for PLAYSTATION®3, Xbox 360 and PC-DVD, the publisher has announced a free downloadable update for early November, expanding upon the games licensed teams and in-game elements.

The download will be available in about three weeks, and updates four Spanish sides – Athletico Madrid, Sevilla, Racing Santander and Valladolid, – all of whom will be officially licensed. Furthermore, it will also update the kits and team rosters of many teams within the game. The UEFA Champions League mode will also benefit from the new update, with twelve more teams added to the club list, with proper UEFA Champions League kits and kit markings added. Amongst the teams fully updated within this mode now will be Marseille, Juventus, and Basel.

The new raft of additions further demonstrate Konami’s commitment to expanding the licence roster in the PES series. Every aspect of PES 2009 has been reworked from the ground up, with new player models, AI elements and physics routines all combining to create the most advanced and realistic football game ever. The game also includes new Become a Legend and Legends modes, wherein players guide one player within a team either solo or online. Expanding upon this, the update also adds a new Theatre of Legends function which allows users to upload replay data for friends to view, and to view those of others.

The PES series has always been famed for its deep yet accessible control system, but the new game is aiming even higher. PES 2009 offers an unprecedented level of control, redefining the intricacies of first touch, close control and ball distribution, while also enhancing its shooting and AI mechanisms to create an all-round footballing experience. New control systems wherein the player can now perform tricks and feints without the use of special moves have been implemented, and the way the player guides the ball has been changed. The PES series has always treated the ball as a separate entity, but new calculations related to the air resistance and friction of the ground make passing and movement in PES 2009 a great deal more realistic.

“PES 2009 is already a million seller in pre-orders alone, but these new additions show how we are determined to continually improve the content of the game,” commented Jon Murphy PES European Team Leader for Konami Digital Entertainment GmbH. “We hope the updated team data and new UEFA Champions League elements will show our ongoing support for PES 2009’s team rosters, and look to continually enhancing such sections in the coming year at no extra cost.”

So the update tomorrow is the online patch isn't it?

Ok who or what is Seabass?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭Dean820

Seabass is the daddy of pes.

As in the Makers?

I thought it was Konami, ok I am well in over my head in this forum, I am just a PES man.

Seabass is one guy. Genius :D

As in the Makers?

I thought it was Konami, ok I am well in over my head in this forum, I am just a PES man.

Seabass is the nickname of the PES producer.

Kanney wrote: »
    So the update tomorrow is the online patch isn't it?

update is already out (version 1.10) - not actually sure what it does.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

update is already out (version 1.10) - not actually sure what it does.

What version? PC?
    I read over on evo-web that the 'Become a legend' mode seems to be crashing for the majority of people after 7 weeks into the game. Maybe it's a bug fix and a few other tweaks?
    (people in Europe who already have game I presume...)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭Dean820

Seabass works for Konami. He's basically the main guy when it comes to making and developing pes.

whiskeyman wrote: »
    What version? PC?
    I read over on evo-web that the 'Become a legend' mode seems to be crashing for the majority of people after 7 weeks into the game. Maybe it's a bug fix and a few other tweaks?
    (people in Europe who already have game I presume...)

PS3 version for me.

Haven't seen the BaL bug yet, though playing week 7 right now (gulp!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

PS3 version for me.

Haven't seen the BaL bug yet, though playing week 7 right now (gulp!!)

good luck! :D

What's the mode like?
    It addictive?
    Best part about it?

• Advertisement

got past week 7, lost 3-0 to blackburn though... jerks.

Mode is fun, but i think it should be easier to progress in stats - i can't see how you can become a legend in it given the crap stats you start off with and the speed at which the increase.

Advertisement