Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Very basic question re potting small conifers

Options
  • 06-10-2008 2:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭

Ok, so this is a fairly basic question - I'm new to all this gardening stuff and making it up as I go along most of the time.

I bought some out-door trees at the weekend - small decorative (fast-growing) conifers. Anyway, I'm just after picking up 2 large pots to plant them in and put either side of the front door.

The pots are metal one without any holes in them.

I have a couple of questions;

1. what should I be putting in the pot by way of soil. Was thinking about putting in mainly compost and some soil improver which I have left over from a previous job. I don't have access to any top-soil but maybe I could pick some up in Woodies or somewhere like that if necessary. Also, I could throw in a bit of potting compost which I also think I have some of or some moss peat. What is the best mix?

2. Should I drill a few holes in the bottom of the pots. Last time I potted something in a pot without drainage holes, the plant drowned from all the rain.

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

JackieO, pot your conifers up in plain old plastic plant pots with drainage holes, and put those pots inside the metal display pots. If you can, sit the plastic pot on a few pebbles in the bottom of the metal pot, to avoid waterlogging, and remember yourself to pour off standing water if it's been raining. (Which will be easy to do if you just have to take the conifer with plastic pot out and then tip over the metal pot).

Conifers usually like a slightly acidic soil - if you're using leftovers to do the job, make sure you don't use anything too alkaline. Moss peat leans towards the acidic side so that's a good medium to mix in.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭JackieO

Thanks for that. I'll give it a go.

Advertisement