Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help Please

• 06-10-2008 2:58pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭

So, i'm recently home from living abroad. Haven't worked in Ireland since Nov '07.

I've only been home a week and although i'm not worried just yet, i need to starting thinking about what i will do if nothing comes up on the job front.

Basically, i have a loan repayment that needs to be paid and even though i live at home for now, i need to contribute to the household. So, welfare alone won't really cover all of this. I'm not on welfare yet, but if i sign up, what other kinds of income would i be entitled to? I was thinking of a fas course, do these pay? And if they do, are you still entitled to welfare?

Sorry, this is all very new to me!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Sheena K

Fás courses do pay but they pay you instead of the welfare. So ,if you get €197 off the welfare they will stop giving you that and Fás will give you €197 instead.

You wont get two payments.

You can check on welfare.ie to try and find out what else you moght be entilted to.

Or just go down to fás and talk to them since you will have to sign up with fás anyway if you apply for jobseekers allowance/benefit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭uoluol

My advise is to go down to your local Social Welfare Office asap and as long as you meet all the conditions ie are available and looking for full time work, you should be eligible to sign on. Your claim is usually only taken from the day you present yourself to the office - so the longer you leave it, the more you could lose out on.

The difficulty you are going to run into is that you have recently returned from abroad, so you may be subject to the Habitual Residency regulations - and these decisions are horrendously long - they can take up to six months to come through. Even if you are Irish, it has to be established that your centre of interest is in Ireland.

Depending on your age - think it is under the age of 24 - you may also be subject to Board and Lodgings conditions - that is your parental income may be assessed as your means. The maximum amount payable is €197.80 pw.

God, I'm coming across as all doom and gloom - but the main point is - get down to your local welfare office, and get the ball rolling, so as not to delay any payments due to you any further.

Advertisement