Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rescue centres in Dublin city centre?

Options
  • 06-10-2008 3:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 47

Hi all

I am looking into getting a rescue dog. I have read the sticky about adopting rescue dogs which is very helpful. I'm just wondering if anyone can point me towards a good/reputable rescue centre in Dublin City Centre. I'd like to go somewhere where I know they'll put the effort into making sure that the dog will be suitable for us (and vice versa more importantly!).

My husband and I both work during the day (although I go home for lunch and my husband would be popping in and out so the dog would not be completely alone all day). We have a house with a small enclosed yard.

I would imagine that an older, laid back dog would be a better choice but if anyone can recommend particular breeds that wouldn't be too upset about being home alone during the day I'd appreciate it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭littlemisspiggy

I volunteer with DID - www.dogsindistress.org. They have loads of dogs - check under "Dogs needing homes", "urgent action" and "in foster". You might have to register for free to read all the entries under each dog (like its personality, likes, dislikes, good points and bad points etc.)

You can believe every word they say - they tell you straight out the dogs good and bad as there is no longer telling porking and rehoming a dog that will be given back a week later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 pajos55

Hi - thanks for the reply. I saw that website but I wasn't sure where they were based - do they operate out of the Ashton Pound? Would it be better to make contact with them first or just head over and speak to someone there?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

DID are great, if you get a dog that is in foster, you will be told everything about their personality. you can look on homes wanted and if one catches your fancy let them know and ask for more info. I seriously think this is a great way of getting a rescue dog, because you know exactly what you are getting.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭beth-lou

I would recomend DID too. We got a dog from them last October and he is fab. We ended up offering to foster a second dog as he was about to be put to sleep and we have decided to keep him too as he is no bother at all. And great pals with the first one.

I would advise you to go for an older dog. The first dog we took from them was almost a year and he would need a lot more stimulation than the second one who is happy to sit by your feet all evening and is very relaxed and chilled out and well past the puppy stage. The dogs in DID are fostered out so you will get an honest report on the nature of the dog, although there will always be an adjustment period.

We have four dogs, all of them we got when they were over a year, two of them from DID and all of them are great dogs. I can't recommend a rescue dog enough. So long as you are willing to love it and walk it and make it part of the family, you will be rewarded ten fold.

So log in to dogs in distress and have a look at the dogs needing homes or dogs in foster and the best of luck. :) Alternatively you could look inthe urgent action needed section and there they have dogs currently in the pound. You could go up and meet one the dogs and the girls should be able to give you some indication of the personality of the dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭beth-lou

pajos55 wrote: »
    Hi - thanks for the reply. I saw that website but I wasn't sure where they were based - do they operate out of the Ashton Pound? Would it be better to make contact with them first or just head over and speak to someone there?

They work with Ashton pound, but all dogs are posted on the website. If you join up you can read about all dogs and then send them an email telling them about your interest in a particular dog. And then they will arrange for you to meet the dog and do a home check.

If you see a dog you like in the urgent action section, which has reports on the dogs too from the girls who go up to the pound and walk them, then you can go directly to Aston pound.

Best bet is to join the site and have a look. And tell them what it is you are looking for and they will help you. Normally they wouldn't advise leaving a dog at home all day on its own.. But if you can get home every day for lunch and your hubby pops in and out, it should be fine.

Let us know how you get on.

• Advertisement

Will do, thanks for the great advice all:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

OP I'd recommend you drop up to Ashtown rather than go by what you read and see on their site as not all their dogs are listed.

This has no bearing on the didcation of the pound staff, but time and resources are limited so there's not always time to photograph the dogs or walk/exercise them to properly get to known them properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭SuzyS1972

www.dogsaid.ie

All our dogs are assessed - wormed , vaccinated and microchipped. And obviously neutered !
    Based near Dublin Airport and open every day 2-4pm cept Tuesdays.

You can ring for directions 834 7134

We carry out a quick home visit for ALL doggies leaving us :D
    Nothing to worry about -

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

I second the recommendation for Dogs Aid. I know several people who have adopted from them and they are all very happy with their dog and the service they received from the rescue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Toulouse wrote: »
    I second the recommendation for Dogs Aid. I know several people who have adopted from them and they are all very happy with their dog and the service they received from the rescue.

+1.

I've only heard excellent things said about them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

Dog's Aid for me too. Have some experience with DID and I'd go with Dog's Aid over them.

Great stuff, will check them out.

Advertisement