Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Where to get seals re-done on Turbo?

Options
  • 06-10-2008 3:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭

Mechanic is replacing a gasket between turbo/exhaust next week, and I thought while he has access to it, I want to get the seals re-done to be safe, so i'm getting him to remove the Turbo too.

I was told that there's a place in Dublin that will re-do the seals on the Turbo? Has anyone got any more info? I'm in the West, but not a problem to curiour it up to them. It's a Garrett turbo out of a 320 d

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Mechanic is replacing a gasket between turbo/exhaust next week, and I thought while he has access to it, I want to get the seals re-done to be safe, so i'm getting him to remove the Turbo too.

I was told that there's a place in Dublin that will re-do the seals on the Turbo? Has anyone got any more info? I'm in the West, but not a problem to curiour it up to them. It's a Garrett turbo out of a 320 d

Cheers

I used this uk crowd when I needed a turbo for a golf tdi:

http://www.midlandturbo.com/
    They do an exchange service for about £200 + shipping. I'm not aware of any place that does them in Ireland.

Why do you want to redo the turbo? Is it noisy, smokey, using oil? I would get your mechanic to inspect it and if its ok i'd put it back. The old 'if it ain't broke' school of thought.

Make sure he cleans out the EGR valve however, this is touted as the main cause of detached inlet swirl flaps finding their way into the engine in 320d's.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

I know I want the seals re-done - It wasn't the mechanics call

I've researched the 320d sevice items from Pressure Converters to MAF's, from EGR's to Crank breather filters ;) I'm aware of the swirl flap issue - totally unrelated to the turbo really but thanks for the tip. Cheers for the link - The turbo itself is fine, it's just the seals I want re-done - The mechanic said there's a place in Dublin that could do it for about €400, must do some research!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,322 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Ferris wrote: »
    The old 'if it ain't broke' school of thought.
    +1

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

JohnCleary wrote: »
    I've researched the 320d sevice items from Pressure Converters to MAF's, from EGR's to Crank breather filters ;) I'm aware of the swirl flap issue - totally unrelated to the turbo really but thanks for the tip. Cheers for the link - The turbo itself is fine, it's just the seals I want re-done - The mechanic said there's a place in Dublin that could do it for about €400, must do some research!

Well you probably know more than most about this engine then but
    sometimes too much info is a bit dangerous.

What are the 'seals' you refer too, do you mean the fluid bearing on the shaft?

Personally I would question that any private company would put a turbo back together like Garrett intended (my link included but they guarantee for 12mths). With turbos, my experience includes blowing two of them :(, they are either all right or gone. I wouldn't touch one that was working fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Ferris wrote: »
    ........sometimes too much info is a bit dangerous.
    ........With turbos, my experience includes blowing two of them :(, they are either all right or gone........ I wouldn't touch one that was working fine.

+9999 on that.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
Advertisement