Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Introducing resident cat to new dog

Options
  • 06-10-2008 3:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭

I'm picking up a new temporary family member tomorrow. I have it on good authority that he is fine with cats, which is great. My cats are used to having dogs come and go, but tend to avoid them by hanging around in the sitting room or sulking on the top of the stairs :). But because this boy is cat friendly I think it would be a good time to encourage my own two cats to become more dog friendly. I want to try get them out of "OH MY GOD HE TRIED TO KILL ME" reaction each time a dog sneezes. :o

So, any tips on introducing, and encouraging interaction between a new dog and two melodramatic, spoilt rotten cats?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cotton

Here ya go, taken from our website. Hope it helps.:)

http://www.kittenadoption.org/catDog.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Its been my experience with cats that you can encourage them all you like, but they'll always do their own thing.

What kind of dog are you taking in?.

I'd recommend just giving the cat one of two escape routes, as although you know the dog is cat friendly your cat doesn't and it just mightn't take too kindly to a playful dog.

My cat sulked when we got Jericho, it took her a few weeks to get used to the idea of sharing a home with a dog, but she came around eventually.

When I got Ruby she took one look at her, then at us with eye's that said "YOU BA$TARDS" but by then she was used to Jericho and it really only took hours before she was comfortable with the idea.

'Oh, maybe keep the dog in its crate for a few hours stare down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭sorella

Our one great failure with the rescue collie is where our cats are concerned. On sight of the cats and the collie takes off at high speed after them.. all you see are two black and white streaks....

She will leave sheep when she is called, leave food, anything, but stop chasing the cat?

So they are never asked to share their territory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭mary123

I have a cat her Tinka who makes sure from the minute a dog is brought here that the dog knows its place. When i bring a dog in first i never leave them alone at first and i always introduce the dog on a lead so that if anything happens i am in full control. Most dogs that have been here after awhile are usually ok but i think that is down to Tinka.
    Babs who is staying here for awhile was very unsure of the cats but know that he knows that if he leaves tinka alone he will be fine. He sleeps with the other 2.

Advertisement