Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accessing a timecapsule HDD from work

• 06-10-2008 3:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi all,
    Im a complete noob at most of this so forgive any mistakes or omissions but i've looked everywhere and cannot find an answer to my problem.
    I have an Apple time capsule connected to my broadband wireless network at home and was wondering if there's some way of accessing it (both read and write capability) from a distant location- say work or college.

My setup at home is NTL cable modem (Scientific Atlanta VOIP modem model:EPC2203) connected to a belkin wireless router. The time capsule is connected to one of the LAN ports of this router (in bridge mode-I share an apartment with two others who i dont want to access the timecapsule and as such have setup a second wireless network running from the same modem)

In effect- NTL cable modem-Belkin router-TC

I understand that ill need a DynDNs account as NTL give dynamic IP's but from there on my knowledge of networking is severely lacking.

any help I can get would be greatly appreciated.
    Bob

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

Well I can think of various VNC-related solutions but nothing will allow you to access it directly AFAIK. The problem is the Time Capsule is essentially just a router/HDD combo, nothing more. Some Linksys routers can be modified to run a basic Linux OS and I would think that with one of those, you might be able to access an HDD remotely, never heard of anything like that with Belkin routers though.

Easiest way would just be to leave your Mac on at home, then use something like LogMeIn or some VNC setup to access the Mac, which in turn will have access to the TC:

www.logmein.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

I just dragged an Alias of the TC to my iMac desktop. Then I log into the latter using Back to my Mac and there it is.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 cyberbob20k

ok well the problem with that in my case is that the TC isnt connected directly to another mac, hence BTMM doesnt work (as far as I know- cant afford to buy it to find out!) I have however found an article that solves the issue as far as i can see...
    I'll try it and see how it goes....

Article link:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=451414

Advertisement