Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where can I buy seitan in Dublin?

Options
  • 06-10-2008 3:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭

It's quite popular in other countries, but haven't seen it here.
    Have I not been looking hard enough? Anyone know of anywhere, preferably in south Co. Dublin that sells it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

I haven't seen it in Dublin, I'll agree, and I scout the shops in south Co. Dublin really well! I the only place that I saw seitan recently was on the vegan store: http://www.veganstore.co.uk/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=1&Product_Code=032&Category_Code=002
    I have bought food (well, sweets) from the vegan store before and their service was good.

Most 'meats' available in the health store/nature's gold/la sante/nourish are in a 'processed' form (usually covered in breadcrumbs).

Keep checking back here and I (or others) will let you know if we spot anything on our next few visits to the veggie fridge compartment :)

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭flikflak

They have mock duck and mock other things in the oriental supermarkets which is seitan. It actually says on the tin that its braised gluten which is what seitan is. I bought a tin once from the Jervis one and it was not that great.

I made my own seitan sausages from a PPK recipe - dead easy and really tasty.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

It's not really around Ireland, it's a pity as the best fake meat I ever had was grilled seitan in paris. Brought 30e of it home but it went so fast. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭fjon

Thanks guys!
    I think I might import a load next time I'm in Italy or Germany. I presume it lasts quite a while.
    I did see a can of mock duck in an asian store, and it didn't really look the best. In fact the picture on the front was completely off-putting.
    Can you give me more info on making your own sausages?

My healthfood shop will order me whatever I want.
    I've seen seitan in limerick so it is available hear.
    Ask them to order it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭flikflak

Just head to the PPK.com for the recipe - I think its called spicy pinto sausages

Advertisement