Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Installing a second hand STIRA

Options
  • 06-10-2008 3:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭

Is it feasible to install a second hand stira? (family member converting attic and putting in a stairs and throwing out a very good stira).

Or would I be better off installing a new attic ladder?

I have to cut a new opening to the attic anyway as it is too narrow for any of the attic ladders for sale in DIY shops.
    Do I have to do anything else (other than the usual) to install this particular ladder?? ie regarding weight of ladder etc.

Any ideas much appreciated or even links to DIY sites for this particular job.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

No reason why it wouldn't work.

One thing to check is that your floor to ceiling height is the same or less than theirs. When I put mine in, the stairs were longer than needed and are cut to length when installed so if your ceiling is higher than you may need to add blocks to the bottom.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

Couple of tips (I learned the hard way!):

When you have the ope cut out and your ladder is still on the floor, cut and fit your architrave- it's much easier to do this than trying to work over your head later!

Lifting the ladder into position is a two man job (I just about managed mine singlehandedly, but I wouldn't recommend it). Pass the ladder up thro' the new ope into the attic space, then screw fix two heavy battens across the ope to act as temporary props while you lift the ladder into position. When the ladder is fixed in position remove your "props" and fit your precut architrave.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭mollzer

Thanks for the tips !

Never thought to measure floor to ceiling to make sure I've no major headaches with height difference.

Def a two man/woman job, stira isnt light!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

mollzer wrote: »
    Thanks for the tips !

Never thought to measure floor to ceiling to make sure I've no major headaches with height difference.

Def a two man/woman job, stira isnt light!

its no big deal if its a little short. just screw on a bit to 3X2 to the bottom to extend it.

make sure it fits the opening . 550 X 1200 is whats needed for joists at 600 centers. this is where so many peeps make the mistake and get a 600X 1200.

you cant really make them fit unless you want to start trimming out joists.

getting the frame in flush and square with the door can be a little tricky also. If its a little off, it shows up on your 45 degree cuts on the archatrave.
    You will have to cut some packers to do a good job on it.

take your time . keep it all square and neat.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭mollzer

Thanks for the tips !

• Advertisement
Advertisement