Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where to buy new pc?

• 06-10-2008 3:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 49

Hey, I'm looking to get my father a new pc for his 60th next month. He uses it mainly for internet, he builds his own modest websites on various subjects, self taught and for pictures and looking at videos on YouTube. No gaming or anything to taxing. His current pc is a Dell Dimension 2100, must have it 5 years now.

I've been looking at Dell Inspiron 530. Retail about €550. Intel core 2 due E7200, 2048mb memory, 250GB hard drive, 19" monitor, 19-in-1 card reader, Dvd+/-RW drive. Don't really know how to go about comparing as different makers seem to have different descriptions, especially with different processors and I don't know enough to compare.

Could anyone give me an idea of something with similar spec that's good value. €550 is the top of my budget really. I want to get a 19" monitor anyway and as much as possible after that.

I've heard bad things about PC world and was having a quick look online at Acers but my mind is boggling.

Thanks in advance.

Natacha

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 171 ✭✭Ubaroo

For the monitor consider getting this:

https://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=347570

top class 22inch Samsung for only 189e, amazing.

I don't really know much about pc manufacturers because I just build my own pc's :D

Also that dell in your post will be fine for what your father will be using his computer for :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Natacha

Thanks for that. Very good price. Will check it out.

N

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭evil-monkey

well for the tasks you've mentioned the spec of that one is just fine indeed, and to be fair, Dell's are good value for money. you mentioned pictures and a lil web design, so maybe consider a bigger Hard Drive. also, with 2GB of RAM, try to avoid Vista, as it's a serious resource hog. I've 4gig of RAM, and Vista uses 1700MB while lying idle...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Natacha

Evil Monkey, thanks. Can i get a pc from dell with a different os than Vista? Thought it was kinda standard now. Are software makers more likely though to make the software vista compatibable rather than other windows versions?

I know we got a new pc a few months ago and have had trouble with it (aldi). It has 3gb ram and has vista so maybe that hasn't helped us.

N

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

try to avoid Vista, as it's a serious resource hog. I've 4gig of RAM, and Vista uses 1700MB while lying idle...

That's a little inaccurate. With Vista the more memory you have the more it will use. It caches frequently used programs and files so they will open faster. Vista will be fine on 2gig.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Im running Vista on a laptop (dont use it very much). Its okay, but I still prefer XP. A lot of people have problems with Vista and Dell hardly spec the best of machines running Vista. If I had a choice, I would select XP. Though I do like Vistas features.

You could always go to more advanced IT store who might build one for you (often better value).

Advertisement