Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircoms NEW solution to high pings / Interleaving Problems

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Ya, I got an identical email, looks like they realised they got shíte lines and theyre not turning down interleaving :mad:
    a special configuration of high interleaving downstream and low interleaving upstream
    Bollox to that

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Champ

That's welcome news for us users who found the extra bandwidth useful but the high interleaving annoying, though not enough to downgrade to 3Mb.
    nuxxx wrote:
    high interleaving downstream and low interleaving upstream
    Mmmm does that mean that despite Eircom marketing it for gamers that the latency would still be inferior to the current 3Mb package? Assuming the 3MB has low interleaving for both directions.
    nuxxx wrote:
    eircom Home Advanced is available to both new and existing eircom broadband customers for €39.99 (inc VAT) per month for a limited time until 31st December.
    More curiousity than anything else though any ideas why it's a limited time offer? Trial or something?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,882 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I think i mite try this out since im only getting 5120/512k anyway, but i notice this is also a 48:1 contention package.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tazzle

I've noticed a lot of 'contention speak' around this forum. But is there anyone on the 3mb eircom package who isn't getting 3mb? I'm not saying downgrading to 3mb isn't a ludicrous solution to get a decent product back, but I doubt anyone would have trouble with getting the 3mb they got before, contention or no contention. Of course I'm open to correction if there are people around complaining about crap download speeds on a 3mb line.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,882 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I read this wrong, i tought they ment low interleving download and high interleving upload but its the other way around... surely this is gonna be hardly any different ping wise to whats currently on the 7.6meg high interleaving both directions package?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

their opening a whole can of worms if their aiming a package specifically at gamers, means people are going to expect certain ping times etc and they'll raise hell if they don't get it.

In addition to this why should somebody have to pay more for the issue they have created with interleaving, hardly a solution for most people

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Cabaal wrote: »
    their opening a whole can of worms if their aiming a package specifically at gamers, means people are going to expect certain ping times etc and they'll raise hell if they don't get it.

In addition to this why should somebody have to pay more for the issue they have created with interleaving, hardly a solution for most people
    You get an extra cap as well so they'll probably use that as an excuse when someone complains about having to pay extra to fix the problems eircom caused.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

You get an extra cap as well so they'll probably use that as an excuse when someone complains about having to pay extra to fix the problems eircom caused.

Yeah was thinking that myself, all abit crap.
    Although it certaionly wouldn't be in the interest of eircom but how about they make a one off charge of 20e if people want interleaving changed on their line from the normal settings....

It would be better for the customer, but then it wouldn't be better for Eircom's bottom line :)

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭thund3rbird_

a special configuration of high interleaving downstream and low interleaving upstream

interleaving currently set at 64 downstream & 8 upstream on 7.6meg

both are the highest setting
    ( http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/interleaving.htm for more )

surely they should be sorting out the current fcuking problem or else change everyone to the Mourinho ?? :rolleyes:

can interleaving not be set per line?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

blem or else change everyone to the Mourinho ?? :rolleyes:

can interleaving not be set per line?

You know how long that would take?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

i called up yesterday and actually met a irish bloke on the phone
    I`v seen people talking here about there datapath being fastpath..
    I ask nicely if i could be set onto fastpath and he said, "We dont do fastpath and hes never heard of any customers getting it"

My line has gone to sh1t @ home on 3meg, im getting constant disconnections which makes skype etc unusable, such a joke of a company :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

The solution stinks. Why should I have to give up half my upload and some of my download speed? My line is perfectly capable of keeping the high speed and reducing the interleaving by at least half.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

The higher speeds create more interference to other lines. As the number of users on a multipair cable rises you have to increase interleave or decrease speed to achieve same SNR.

You can only run at full speed and no interleaving according to line spec if no other users in the same cable bundle. A dirty secret of DSL performance :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

You know how long that would take?

There are loads of technologies that can dynamically interrogate lines and assign the best line profile automatically...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

There are technologies and the DSL gear in the exchange is capable of very sophisticated per line 'tweaks' but Eircom have not linked these to the provisioning system .

They have instead opted for a single profile for a single product approach which is why all 7.6mbit customers have ultra high interleaf irrespective of the merits of not doing so on short lines or high quality lines . The 7.6mbit profile setup is optimised for lines that are c. 1.5-2 miles long on average, this is madness :(.

Having complete drones in the customer facing role in Ireland and then outsourcing your technical support to Bangalore it is unsurprising that they have adopted this single product single profile approach.

I am not confident that the new product will make much of a difference. It appears to be a marketing / pr kludge .

Those who can would be well advised to move to more responsive and adaptible companies who have technically competent staff in a customer facing role ....like Smart and Digiweb ( Metro not DSL) and even BT Ireland in certain cases ( as long as you keep ringing back until you get them :cool: that is )

The best solution for this would be to put 7.6 meg customers on the ADSL2+ gear (where available), then they could turn the interleaving down. But this is Eircom we're talking about. :mad:

Tazz I think it depends on your exchange, and the ISP your with. I've heard of alot of contention like issues with BT for example, yet only on some exchanges.

The 1 profile for all lines at a set speed is a lazy & stupid solution. Not all lines are the same. My pings are ridiculous now yet only a couple of months ago I had amongst the best pings on boards.ie. What is the problem with making a couple more profiles Eircom?

I agree with you 100% Karsini.

given the current situation that eircom wont put home users on adsl2+ because most of the exchanges are not even setup for adsl2+ yet, I think it would have been best that Eircom brought out this gamers package at 5120/512k and had interleving low both directions. Gamers dont need 7meg yet 3meg is kinda low. The whole point of a gamers package is to have either low interleving or fastpath. I might be wrong but from the sound of things a high interleving download and low interleving upload is hardly gonna change the pings at all, maybe shave 5ms off an already very high ping or am i wrong? If anyone switchs to this package soon I would love to see some ping results to boards.ie and UK servers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭azzeretti

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    technically competent staff in a customer facing role ....like Smart and Digiweb

I am laughing my ass of at this......I called Smart last week because a customer of mine wanted to switch over. They sent him out a Thomson router, one which I have never seen before. I had setup seperate VLANs on this site and needed to add a static route to the router to get back to one of the subnets. I couldn't figure this madness of a router (weird GUI etc..) out, so I called Smart.

The technician insisted that there was "no such thing as a static route" and "do you mean Static IP address". I assured him I meant Static Route and he put me on hold. He came back a few minutes later to tell me that no one in his office had ever heard of a Static Route and then....THEN put me on conference with a colleague to ridicule me about the non-existence of a "Static Route"

Sorry for the hijack.....but Smart and technically competent don't go, I'm afraid!

Turns out the Router is "locked" and you can't add a static route to it?

Anyone tried the "new" speed yet?

• Advertisement

yep wondering myself has anyone moved onto this package and what are the pings like is there any improvement at all?

Ya im on the package ans no improvement with the pings, still 30-45 to boards.ie, speed is 7168/384 cant be bothered doin a speedtest, i think they just changed my speed and didnt change the interleaving or anything the stupid ***** :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

azzeretti wrote: »
    I am laughing my ass of at this......I called Smart last week because a customer of mine wanted to switch over. They sent him out a Thomson router, one which I have never seen before. I had setup seperate VLANs on this site and needed to add a static route to the router to get back to one of the subnets. I couldn't figure this madness of a router (weird GUI etc..) out, so I called Smart.

The technician insisted that there was "no such thing as a static route" and "do you mean Static IP address". I assured him I meant Static Route and he put me on hold. He came back a few minutes later to tell me that no one in his office had ever heard of a Static Route and then....THEN put me on conference with a colleague to ridicule me about the non-existence of a "Static Route"

Sorry for the hijack.....but Smart and technically competent don't go, I'm afraid!

Lol.

Tell them to "open their browser" then "enter www.google.com" then "search for static route".

Dont bother with the ISP tech support. The thompson website might have better details about configuring new routes.

Ya im on the package ans no improvement with the pings, still 30-45 to boards.ie, speed is 7168/384 cant be bothered doin a speedtest, i think they just changed my speed and didnt change the interleaving or anything the stupid ***** :mad:

that sounds about right, I ping 45ms to boards so what your saying is a maximum of a 5 to 10ms ping improvement which is still very high and wont really make much of a difference to online gaming. Keeping the Download on high interleving and upload on low interleving is barely much different to the 7.6meg package. And they call this a gamers package? Eircom havent a clue. They shuda set the download rate at 4meg or 5meg at most and offering low interleving/fastpath both directions.

dopes eircom are, im fully sure there should be some kinda ping improvement but its the EXACT same they must have forgot to change my interleaving or somthin, ill ring them monday and tell them about this ****

they havent forgotten to change your interleaving depths... the fact is they are leaving them as they are for your download which is the majority of your connection and only changing it for your uploads which is very small in comparison so the ping change is barely noticeable if at all. They call it a gamers package and they only change one tiny setting while giving you a smaller upload limit, a joke thats what it is. The only way to get good gaming back is to change back to the 3 meg connection package and suffer a worse contention ratio and 30gig download limit instead of 50.

Ive finally decided that after a month of being on the 7.6meg package and only gettin 5meg with crap pings, along with eircom coming out with their solution for gamers which does nothing to fix it, that im gonna go back and downgrade back to the 3meg package so that i can have good pings again, its the only way.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

azzeretti wrote: »

It seems that the new router is locked so that Smart can deliver the new SmartVision Plus IPTV service over the router. They have their own static VLANs set on the Thomson router to work with the TV Set Top Box and it seems that they have locked down the router so that you can't fiddle with these settings.

Over on the Smart Telecom forums most people recommend replacing the Thomson router if you aren't going to use it it for IPTV, so you can access more settings.

Uploading a non locked firmware to the Thomson is another, non supported, option.

BTW there are some very technically competent people over in Smart, but in the NOC so you won't normally get to talk to them. Instead if you post over on the Smart Telecom forums, the admins who reply on the forum, are the engineers who really know their stuff.

What are Eircom like? Do they even understand the problem? Read my words Eircom, put the top residential packages on ADSL2+ equipment & fix our pings!

putting the top residential packages on adsl2+ is the obvious answer to fix everything but of course Eircom have only upgraded about half the exchanges to adsl2+ so they cant put us onto adsl2+. My exchange is one of the many not on adsl2+, is there plans to upgrade all exchanges to adsl2+? I know that the largest exchanges and all new exchanges are adsl2+ but what about the rest of us?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Ya im on the package ans no improvement with the pings, still 30-45 to boards.ie
    I'm on 3MB with BT and pings for me to boards.ie are 10-15ms, new Eircom pack don't sound great.

Advertisement