Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircoms NEW solution to high pings / Interleaving Problems

Options
13»

Comments

rzelky wrote: »
    sad story, was on 2megs [ eircom // ping to gaming servers - 20-40 ] , got free "upgrade" to 3megs [ eircom // ping to gaming servers - 60-300 ] ,same line , same phone, same building - things that changed - ? no ****ing clue !

Basically if ur a gamer its time to switch to another ISP :/
    I thought it was only the 7.6 meg package which has issues with pings? Unless contention is hitting you?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭MrVestek

azzeretti wrote: »
    I am laughing my ass of at this......I called Smart last week because a customer of mine wanted to switch over. They sent him out a Thomson router, one which I have never seen before. I had setup seperate VLANs on this site and needed to add a static route to the router to get back to one of the subnets. I couldn't figure this madness of a router (weird GUI etc..) out, so I called Smart.

The technician insisted that there was "no such thing as a static route" and "do you mean Static IP address". I assured him I meant Static Route and he put me on hold. He came back a few minutes later to tell me that no one in his office had ever heard of a Static Route and then....THEN put me on conference with a colleague to ridicule me about the non-existence of a "Static Route"

Sorry for the hijack.....but Smart and technically competent don't go, I'm afraid!

Turns out the Router is "locked" and you can't add a static route to it?

So why not just set up a DMZ on said 'locked' router and have that single static IP set to be one of your *own* routers? Then set up the static route from there? You're supposed to be their IT guy, not the tech support people on Smart's lines. You figure it out... it's what you're being paid to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭rzelky

Karsini wrote: »
    I thought it was only the 7.6 meg package which has issues with pings? Unless contention is hitting you?

dunno mate, all i know is that ca. 12 other ppl that got that "free" upgrade got also high PINGs for "free" :/

• Registered Users Posts: 14 [NER-HQ]Yoda

Well after 4 weeks of bulls**t from bt tech support ive decided to go to eircom, after talking to one of their guys who seems to have an idea about pings im going for the 3mb package....fingers crossed it will sort out my ping problem. Everytime I phoned BT tech support I had to explain my problem from the start, thats about 14 calls and 50 tracerts. Got nowhere, they said they checked my line and it was 100%. "Contention problems". Well they can stick it, Im prayin eircom will be ok, if their not then the last laugh will be on me as I think I must stick with them for 12 months. Also its gonna take 25 working days to take over my account so ill be with BT until then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 firesniffer

As the title say's ... I have just about had my fill of Eircom at this stage I really have, I left the other company because I was attracted to the 7.2 meg line on offer with them on a 24:1 contention ratio, yeah happy days no more slow speeds and steady connections or so I thought.

I had called them before I started to make the move to ask was my line capable of taking the 7.2 meg, like all I needed was a steady 4 meg and I would have been more than happy anyway they said yes it could take up to 8meg according to the test.

so duly I went head agreed to the six month contract paid the 101 euro deposit and sat back and waited for these mind blowing wind in the hair speeds.

ok guys here is what I get on average on off peak 736kbps
    and here is what I get peak like weekends and after 6 between 4kbps and 130 kbps .. jesus eircom give me dial up it would be faster ..

They never sent the modem that was part of the package either I had to get one off a friend that used to be with them and as he handed it to me he said don't expect too much, how right he was. the staff are not trained in any other router and they just wont deal with you unless it is one of theirs.

3 weeks now I have it and everyday I have called them.
    They made a mistake one day on their tweaks I got 4 meg lasted all of 10 mins so I now my is is capable of receiving at least 4 meg

Now go figure this, I rang customer care to log my complaint.. oh we are sorry sir we do not take complaints in relation to our broad band products I wonder why !!

Anyway guys stay away from them they will promise you the earth
    you have to stay for six months so on my package that would total
    101 euro up front plus 160 euro for the next 4 months
    all for nothing they have no customer care and you will have a pain in your head listening to the same crap from each so called tec support agent asking you to do the same thing every time, as they all sing from the one hymn sheet "will you turn off your modem sir and turn it back on" as if we do not know to that any way ...come on eircom offer some real support instead of nothing .. well thats not fair is it they do give you less than modem speeds .. chris .

• Advertisement

Omg m8, that really sounds bad. Just a thought. Borrow a different router and try it, the one you have might be faulty. Because thats what it sounds like to me. Other than that , heres a phone number of a guy who blows things up.............

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

ok guys here is what I get on average on off peak 736kbps and here is what I get peak like weekends and after 6 between 4kbps and 130 kbps .. jesus eircom give me dial up it would be faster ..
    I'm the same for 3 weeks now, ever since Eircon brought out their "Gamer Pack", from 5pm till round 3am weekdays and pretty much all weekend my 3MB with BT is very lucky to go near 1MB and very high pings.

Here's my stats at present:

350284638.png

Heres my result on BT 3MB

[img][/img]http://www.speedtest.net/result/350301588.png

so your connection isnt so bad...lol
    BTW I see you are also approx 50 miles from Dublin..were hardly using the same exchange?...im in Laois

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Heres my result on BT 3MB

[img][/img]http://www.speedtest.net/result/350301588.png

so your connection isnt so bad...lol
    BTW I see you are also approx 50 miles from Dublin..were hardly using the same exchange?...im in Laois
    Yours is twice as fast as mine :(:D

I'm on Dundalk exchange in Co.Louth.

Twice as fast but my ping is twice as high. :confused::confused::confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

Hey guys. I've been reading this thread for a while now. I'll be honest, I'm a bit of a noob and know sweet FA about interleaving.

If anyone could explain that to me, that'd be great. Anyway, I'm currently on the Eircom 3mb package which I was delighted to be upgraded to free of charge a few weeks ago. Unfortunately, it's resulted in my speeds plummeting and gaming becoming one massive headache.

Had I the choice, I'd switch to NTL, which offers 10mb for cheaper than most of Eircom's 'deals.' I have a friend on NTL and his speeds are phenominal. I've logged a complaint with these Eircom jackasses, but I expect nothing to change. I live in an apartment in Dublin 15 and have no choice of NTL or pretty much anything else.

Just thought I'd throw my lot in for the sake of it. One more incredibly unsatisfied, nay, pissed off customer of Eircom. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

so called tec support agent asking you to do the same thing every time, as they all sing from the one hymn sheet "will you turn off your modem sir and turn it back on" as if we do not know to that any way ...come on eircom offer some real support instead of nothing .. well thats not fair is it they do give you less than modem speeds .. chris .

Ever work in a call center? They all go through the same ****ty scripts because if they don't follow them to some degree you won't get the outcome needed particularly from staff with poor English. There are procedures for everything. Its weird really how you can complain about the support staff saying turn off the modem when a lot of times my problems have been fixed by power cycling the device. If you have ever dealt with people and computer problems you will realize that most people have no idea what they are doing. Thusly you have to work towards the weakest link.
    Sanjuro wrote: »
    Hey guys. I've been reading this thread for a while now. I'll be honest, I'm a bit of a noob and know sweet FA about interleaving.

If anyone could explain that to me, that'd be great. Anyway, I'm currently on the Eircom 3mb package which I was delighted to be upgraded to free of charge a few weeks ago. Unfortunately, it's resulted in my speeds plummeting and gaming becoming one massive headache.

Had I the choice, I'd switch to NTL, which offers 10mb for cheaper than most of Eircom's 'deals.' I have a friend on NTL and his speeds are phenominal. I've logged a complaint with these Eircom jackasses, but I expect nothing to change. I live in an apartment in Dublin 15 and have no choice of NTL or pretty much anything else.

Just thought I'd throw my lot in for the sake of it. One more incredibly unsatisfied, nay, pissed off customer of Eircom. :mad:

Call up tech support and ask to have your line tested. It sounds like you are getting disconnects because your line cannot handle the higher speeds. If you are a gamer ask specifically to put on the low interleaving 2mb speed package.

Cheers guys for all the replies it is really appreciated, it seems evident from browsing through the pages of the forums that there seems one thing wrong and one thing only, all the big players are just overloading there connections.
    Ok lets be honest here take most of the companies that offer broad band, take my situation for instance, I was with IBB before I switched to eircom,
    with them I was on a 3 meg line.
    I recieved at worst on a 40+ contention ratio 375kbps
    Now remember this company leases the lines and has their equipment
    in eircom exchanges.
    Now I switch to Eircom for a 7.2meg line on a 20+ contention ratio
    and my best speeds are 1.7mbps and worst 4mbps ... these people govern the lines and deliver much much lower speeds than the companies that lease the lines. so my point is in a long winded way is the bigger the player the slower your speeds. 1. you have absolutely no way of checking what way is the the contention ratio, you have to take their word for it, and hey that does not stand for much 0n a 40+ cr you could have 50+
    2. There is no accountability so they have free reign to do what they want when they want, and fob you off all they want. So don't expect too much
    because it seems you will go to your grave still looking.
    3. They will tie you into yearly contracts 6 monthly contracts ect.. this is how they fund the service so you either pay up to get out or you stay and put up with it.

A group of people need to get together and challenge these issues where it matters, it seems it,s far to long they and indeed other companies are getting away with robbing the consumer, and providing inadequate services with not get out of jail free card.

It's time the consumer had a contract with the primary part of that being
    if you don't provide what we are paying for refund us in full.
    But I guess that's in the real world somewhere.

Thanks again guys for your replies

chris

Omg m8, that really sounds bad. Just a thought. Borrow a different router and try it, the one you have might be faulty. Because thats what it sounds like to me. Other than that , heres a phone number of a guy who blows things up.............

Tried my netgear router nothing changed, but cheers for the Idea :)

Advertisement