Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Fixed penalty for speeding no road signs, wrong road on penalty notice

Options
  • 06-10-2008 4:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

I got stopped the other night for allegedly speeding. The Gard was standing by the Petrol station on the Donnybrook rd. My penalty notice says I was allegedly speeding on the Stillorgan Rd. From where the Gard was standing I cant imagine the speed gun was able to reach over 250 yrds to where they say my car was caught at. I also noticed that through the intersection at Beaver row and Donnybrook Rd. there is no speed limit sign. I just wanted to know what what the law is regarding this and what my position would be if I was to go to court?

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,513 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

No speed signs doesnt really mean anything, dependant on what speed you were going. It would only hold up if the last sign you saw was 80 and you were doing 80, but subsequently had dropped to 60 without signage.

What speed were you doing OP? Its very odd for the Garda to be standing in the petrol station area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

antodeco wrote: »
    What speed were you doing OP? Its very odd for the Garda to be standing in the petrol station area.
    *cough*
    Doughnuts?
    *cough*

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

dhf wrote: »
    I cant imagine the speed gun was able to reach over 250 yrds to where they say my car was caught at

They can detect a car from well over a kilometer away.

The gardai dont use radar, only laser which is instant and accurate.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,513 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Savman wrote: »
    *cough*
    Doughnuts?
    *cough*

lol, not from that garage!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

I cant imagine the speed gun was able to reach over 250 yrds to where they say my car was caught at.

Laser gun when held by hand can detect speed at about 450 meters. If it is on the tripod the manufacture says it can detect up to 1000 meters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

TheNog wrote: »
    Laser gun when held by hand can detect speed at about 450 meters. If it is on the tripod the manufacture says it can detect up to 1000 meters.

The UL are magnified, they can easily detect past 600 metres by hand easily depending on the LIDAR signature of the veh-icle.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

The UL are magnified, they can easily detect past 600 metres by hand easily depending on the LIDAR signature of the veh-icle.
    Don't forget to include "a steady hand" in that equation.

TheNog wrote: »
    Don't forget to include "a steady hand" in that equation.

Well they should really be using the builtin shoulder stock!!!;) (see below) ...

Otherwise they're exposing innocent motorists to 'the slip effect' or 'Slip error' :eek:

prod-lti-ultralyte.jpg

Exact same gun the gardai use, complete with shoulder stock.

Chief--- wrote: »
    Exact same gun the gardai use, complete with shoulder stock.

Yes correct, I'm well aware of that :D , but the stock IS foldable & I've seen them in action not using it :mad:

Ultralyte%20LRB.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,995 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Do you not have anything better to do?!

Just pay the fine and take the points ffs

Maybe they were surgeons in their previous careers?!?!

Chief--- wrote: »
    Maybe they were surgeons in their previous careers?!?!

....Maybe :pac:....But i wouldn't use the word 'career' so loosely :p

Remember too that the fixed penalty notice is only an invite to you to take another route than court. If you don't take up the offer and decide to have your day in court, I think the Judge might cut to the chase very quickly and simply ignore your point about the distance of the speed gun detection and simply ask what speed were you in fact doing. The Judge in this part of the world would then probably turn the to garda and ask if that's possible, and then either give you the benefit of the doubt if there is an issue about the speed, or absolutely hammer you if it was clear you were speeding and you're only perceived to be wasting court time.

Not sure about the absence of sign issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

I had a situation a few years back, not quite the same in that i got a ticket and points 'offer' through the post telling me i had been speeding, but again they named the road incorrectly, and the road that they alleged I was on has a different speed limit so the ticket/docket was wrong. It's up to the state/Gardai to prove that all procedures were followed correctly (which is why that lad in limerick is pleading not guilty over the incident where the Garda and Fireman were killed last year)

What i did was write a letter to the inspector in my local station, where the fine was issued from and a bout 10 days later got a second letter to say the matter was being dropped and thanking me for my correspondence!!

If the ticket is wrong then you can write a letter to the issuing station and appeal it. This will put the 28 day period on hold until they have investigated it. If after that you decide to chance your arm in court you'd probably get hammered

• Registered Users Posts: 78,431 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I also noticed that through the intersection at Beaver row and Donnybrook Rd. there is no speed limit sign. I just wanted to know what what the law is regarding this and what my position would be if I was to go to court?

I think its an extra 4 points for not driving with due care and attention.

http://www.dublincity.ie/RoadsandTraffic/RoadSafety/Pages/SpeedLimits.aspx#80
    Areas where the 60 km/h speed limit is in force

The Stillorgan Road (National Road N11) between the Dublin City boundary and a point 180 metres south of its junction with Anglesea Road.

Advertisement