Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

N32 Question

Options
  • 06-10-2008 4:30pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭

Okay, i need to a ask a question, because i am really confused.

The N32, has a bus lane which is not in use and can be used as second lane of traffic. there are signs up everywhere stating this.

when i am driving on this road, i always drive in the bus lane, as i am sticking to the speed limit of 60kpm, which means i am much slower then everyone else around.

It this the correct thing to do? because loads of people come up the bus lane really fast and start flashing at me to move over to the other lane, so they can get pass me but, then they would be undertaking me, which is illegal.

what lane should i be in :confused::confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

You are right. When the bus lane isn't in use it becomes a driving lane and the lane to the right becomes an overtaking lane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Very good question OP, in reality there is no simple answer. It's not as easy as just driving in the (defunct) Bus Lane as no doubt you'll have taxi drivers and whoever up yer ass.

They have made an absolute balls of that road so people don't know which lane they should be in. Been like that for ages now.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

the problem is the majority of cars are in the normal lane and the bus lane appears to be the overtaking lane .................the amount of angry people i have had tailgating me is unreal :o:o:o:o

the bus lane appears to be the overtaking lane .................the amount of angry people i have had tailgating me is unreal :o:o:o:o

They're dopes, dont mind them. On the M50 on saturday and couldnt believe my eyes. 5 cars in front of me all doing 100kph and all in the left lane, where they should be!! Then the front guy moves over 2 lanes to the right, and like lemmings, the following 4 cars go with him, restoring the lack of faith I had in irish drivers.. Its frustrating OP but just stick in the bus lane, undertaking is dangerous, let them lose the rag and overtake..

On a side note, what is the reasoning behind "Bus lane not in use" signs anyway? If they're built and ready, why not just put them in operation.

noblestee wrote: »
    On a side note, what is the reasoning behind "Bus lane not in use" signs anyway? If they're built and ready, why not just put them in operation.

No bus route goes down that road.

It is the same with the Ballyboggan Road in Finglas, but there are no signs up to say the bus lane isnt in use

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭dade

it was a bus lane for the Airport express that fell flat on its face a few years ago. i believe after much arguments the local council relented and agreed to remove the not defunct bus lane. but they did not remove any of the paint.

there is a small orange sign as you enter the lane from the malahide road, but it has fallen down the pole so is at the level of the footpath

what gets me on this road is that when you go past the roundabout at the bewleys hotel all the muppets that keep driving in the left hand lane and up the hard shoulder to the roundabout. it's clearly marked that you should merge to the right and the lane has broken yellow lines indicating that it is no longer a lane.

ah yes, then you have the hard shoulder LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

You are right. When the bus lane isn't in use it becomes a driving lane and the lane to the right becomes an overtaking lane.
    +1

No bus route goes down that road.

I dont know the road in question. The firhouse road near me has been upgraded recently and the bus lane has a "not in use" sign up even though there is a bus route. In the mornings everyone stays away from it though and no one thinks to just drive past in the bus lane and skip a queue of 60 or so cars. Handy for me because I cycle to work :o(not too popular in the motors forum)

Advertisement