Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giant FCR Range-differences

Options
  • 06-10-2008 4:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭

Hi guys,

Am looking at a commuter bike (8miles each way) and the odd 100k cycle. I saw the FCR range on saturday which looks great. The low end FCR 4 was retailing for €500 then €600 for the FCR 3. I currently have an old hybrid which is not bad but the difference between that and the FCR is unbelieveable. my question is is there a huge difference from the FCR 4 to 3 and so on up the range, should i look to get the higher spec. Just a little confused as i didnt think i saw €100 difference between the two of them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭jdt101

I have an FCR 3, which I have only cycled once. I have a Trek road bike which I cycle all the time, hence the FCR is for sale, if your interested.

Sorry it is an FCR 2, in a size L.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭paddyb

FCR3 has better gears and it also has a carbon fork

The FCR 3 has a CrMo fork. FCR 2 has carbon fork, that was my reason for original purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭paddyb

your right! just checked cycle superstore and this years model has a lower spec.
    if you can get last years model, that has a carbon fork

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭72hundred

paddyb wrote: »
    your right! just checked cycle superstore and this years model has a lower spec.
    if you can get last years model, that has a carbon fork

Trek did a similar thing recently.

The 2008 Trek 1.2 was inferior to the closest model that proceeded it. Or so I was informed at my LBS.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭rughdh

No, last years model also has a CroMo fork.

It was the same last year, that is why I got the FCR 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

I have the FCR 2.5. Admittedly it is my first 'speedy' bike but I love it.
    I was all worried about the discomfort and the skinny wheels having not experienced them before but really there was nothing to worry about.
    Great bike! :D Pity about our weather.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭BuyingorSelling

So would you recommend paying the extra money for a FCR 2 over a 4?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭ruprect

The low end FCR 4 was retailing for €500 then €600 for the FCR 3.
    A mate got the 2008 FCR2 for ~€500 incl delivery from winstanleys

http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/product/12287/Giant_FCR_2_Mens_Bike_2008

I had told him about that place, I got 2 bikes from there, so has he now. Always ring them too though to confirm they have it and the postage to Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

So would you recommend paying the extra money for a FCR 2 over a 4?

I havent experienced both. However I read up as much as I could before I bought and from that I learnt that the carbon forks are worth the extra bit of cash.

That seems like a great offer that ruprect posted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭BuyingorSelling

ruprect wrote: »
    A mate got the 2008 FCR2 for ~€500 incl delivery from winstanleys

http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/product/12287/Giant_FCR_2_Mens_Bike_2008

I had told him about that place, I got 2 bikes from there, so has he now. Always ring them too though to confirm they have it and the postage to Ireland.

Thanks ruprect, That seems like a great deal alight. Seems like a better spec than the 2009 FCR 4 spec.

Would it cost much to get a bike shop to set it up for me if i ordered on line.

Advertisement