Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

50kph signs on N15

Options
  • 06-10-2008 4:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know why 50kph signs have suddenly appeared on the N15 from Cliffoney to Castlegal, a distance of around 4-5 miles?
    These are permanent signs and stop near Castlegal National School. With the County Council's usual genius, the speed limit increases to 100kph just before the school!
    I can find nothing about them on the County Council website.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭darealtulip

no idea but unbelieveble that it increases just before the school!! maybe they had to do it for the school but read the note wrong:D

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭salad dodger

It's a bleedin joke!!!!!!!!!!!

50 kph on the main road but its ok to do 80 on the glorified laneways that turn off it. Do the people in the council who came up with this genius of a plan actaully drive the road?

4miles of 50kph and today a whole pile of nobody taking a blind bit of notice. A grand spot now for 'shootin fish in a barrel' for the boys in blue.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

I think it's the NRA that set the speed limits, not the council.

But yea.....crazy stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

I was under the impression it was the Councils that set the limits using NRA guidelines but could be wrong.

thankfully hardly ever on that road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Essexboy

JoeyJJ wrote: »
    I was under the impression it was the Councils that set the limits using NRA guidelines but could be wrong.

thankfully hardly ever on that road.

Yes, it is confusing.
    Like the N3, a national road, is closed between Ballyshannon and Belleek but the NRA say it has nothing to do with them, it is down to Donegal County Council. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭salad dodger

It seems that the signs are in aid of future roadworks. There was a sign up at either end of the speed limit zone sayin somethin about road strengthening works. Couldn't make out when it's startin tho.

You'd think that they'd have put that sign up 1st to avoid confusion!

It seems that the signs are in aid of future roadworks. There was a sign up at either end of the speed limit zone sayin somethin about road strengthening works. Couldn't make out when it's startin tho.

You'd think that they'd have put that sign up 1st to avoid confusion!

Yes, saw that today. The signs should have been covered up until the works started next Monday (could not read the rest of the sign).
    Still nothing on County council website.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

Means the Gardai get a clear few days of catching people speeding (at 55kph).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

Thankfully I dont drive on that road to often,but when I do I'm always driving above the 100kph speed limit so I'm not going to be on that road for a while.

I thought they had done the roadworks there already,I kept hearing bits and pieces on the traffic reports on the radio that there were pretty major tailbacks for about a week or so due to roadworks and that was about 2/3 weeks ago now,are they doing more?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

Some sections of road are permanently being tinkered with because A: They were built crappily the first time around, or B: Keeps alot of people busy and well paid.
    Like I said before, I'd like to meet the engineer who signed off on the Keadue-Mountallen road and ask him why, precisely, was a humpy, rough, barely marked piece of road of varying width and camber, deemed an adequate job to hand over probably hundreds of thousands of euro for. It's either absolute ineptitude or absolute corruption. There is no grey area with such a scenario.
    Now it's a recession, all the transport development Sligo was promised over the years is out the window. The N4, N15 and N17 are all inadequate cart tracks and the Western Rail corridor is but a memory at this stage.

• Advertisement

Department of Transport says "New speed limit signs should be covered until the speed limit they indicate comes into force. "

Sligo County Council ignored this rule while threatening motorists who do not abide by the 50kph limit. One rule for motorists and another for the council! :mad:

Advertisement