Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

horizontal tongue piercing

Options
  • 06-10-2008 5:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭

this is what im thinking of getting done

http://www.bmezine.com/pierce/02-tongue/A80716/high/nuna-vertical-tongue.jpg

been wanting my tongue pierced for a while and saw this on bme and thought it was kinda cool and just that bit different to actually make me want to go and get it

firstly anywhere in either dublin or limerick that will do it for me?

how is it done? i assume from the name its not simply two standard tongue piercings on top of each other

any specific pros and cons with this type of piercing?

iv only had my nipple pierced before and didnt find the actual process that painfull whats the tongue like to get pierced more or less painfull? if more is there any numbing option?

also thinking about getting my lobe punched but i was told that if you do it it will never heal but that if they do it with a needle its sorer but if you dnt like it will heal? cant find a pic of what i want done but if you think of when people are stretching their lobes the black piece of jewlery they use to do it......i want that accept just a small one with a small hole

bit of a long post thanks for reading

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

It's still an experimental piercing as far as i know. It's basically a surface piercing on your tongue :-/

Doubt many studio's here would do it, even if they did you'd probably be the first. It won't last and be quite painful. Just stretch up your ear lobes normally and slowly, if you don't go beyond 6mm or so they should shrink back down.

Wouldn't get your lobe punched unless you want a big hole in it for the rest of your life that won't shrink. Needle all the way dude.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

Will wrote: »
    It's still an experimental piercing as far as i know. It's basically a surface piercing on your tongue :-/

Doubt many studio's here would do it, even if they did you'd probably be the first. It won't last and be quite painful. Just stretch up your ear lobes normally and slowly, if you don't go beyond 6mm or so they should shrink back down.

ah well thats the end of that then thanks. are there any other less common ways to get your tongue pierced that places in ireland would do?
    Wouldn't get your lobe punched unless you want a big hole in it for the rest of your life that won't shrink. Needle all the way dude.

ye i was 'advised' that 4mm is what i want by a mate and that it can be done at that size straight away by a needle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

Well you can always go ask a piercer if they will do it?

Yeah you could do it that way but it'll put a lot of stress on your lobes, but doable yes :)

4mm isn't that recognisable, well i found it so. Beware when stretching, it's addictive

just found a picture of what i want done as regards my ear so ehhhh what do i ask for?

basically replace the big whole in the lobe with the small hole with black jewlerry above it and thats what i want to get done

http://bodyartforms.com/gallery/enlarge.asp?ID=7005

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

If it's the jewellery you're looking at, that's a Kaos earskin- regardless of which method you choose to get to the size you want, you can't wear those until the piercing is long-healed. Silicone isn't suitable for fresh piercings/stretches, and earskins are so thin that they have a habit of folding up/not standing up in recently stretched lobes because the holes don't support them.

If it's the piercing, it looks like it could be anywhere between 4mm and 6mm, hard to tell. To get to this size you pretty much have three options:

Piercing: You *can* get needles up to 6mm but whether or not a piercer will pierce at that size is iffy. You could probably get pierced at 3.2mm or 4mm, heal it, and stretch up. You have the benefit of not losing any tissue (the thicker your lobes, the better for stretching- I have thin lobes and had to repeatedly stretch and downsize to thicken them up) and the benefit of going through sizes and deciding where you want to stop. It's pretty rewarding, and painless if you do it correctly.

Dermal punch: You can get your lobe punched with a circular scalpel which will bring you to the size you want straight away. It does remove a chunk of tissue which is why I'm personally not a fan of dermal punching lobes, because they stretch so easily. And like I said before, the more lobe tissue you have, the better, because removing a 6mm chunk will potentially cause problems if you decide to stretch more later on. A punched lobe may not shrink or close up as easily as a pierced/stretched piercing if you change your mind later on.

Scalpelling: Has the benefit of letting you go to the size you want, and doesn't cost you any tissue. It is basically a pretty surgical procedure though and may not be something you want to dive into.

So those are your 3 options, I'd say research them all (BMEzine is a good resource) and ask the advice of a *GOOD* piercer (seriously- do not go to a shady piercer for a larger-than-average gauge piercing, especially if you're set on punching or scalpelling!) My personal recommendation would be Steve in Snakebite, Dublin, but you should have a look around yourself also.
    Hope that helps.

• Advertisement

thanks gauge that helps loads actually its the piercing i want and maybe eventually that jewelery im having trouble finding jewelery with eyelets all the way threw at that size.

i reckon ill try and get them to use a 4mm needle if its possible. would you know of anywhere in limerick gauge?

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭gaybitch

My sister had her tongue pierced two times vertically, and it looked fairly similar to that horizontal pic you posted. That might be an easy alternative if you like the two-ball look on the tongue, without actually having to get such an experimental piercing?

ye i was thinking about that too i went in to day to the place in limerick that i was told is the go to place but they are charging 80euro for a tongue which i think is expensive and they used a gun on my mates ear so i reckon ill wait till the next time im in dublin

they also said they can pierce my ear either with the gun or at 6mm as they have no 4mm needles.

did your sister get the two piercings done at once?

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭gaybitch

Steer clear of places that advocate the use of guns - it might point to their hygiene and knowledge not being the best. I don't know of any places in Limerick for piercings really, but if you're up in Dublin in the next while I'd recommend Snakebite.

My sister had her tongue pierced the first time for a few months, and then got the second one done. I'm not sure if they'd do both of them at the same time - in fact I'm nearly sure they wouldn't, because of the swelling and stuff. But once the first piercing has healed you should be good to go on getting the second one.

It looked really cool, she had a larger ball in the first one and it looked sort of like a figure 8.

Advertisement