Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chorus Download Frequency

Options
  • 06-10-2008 5:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭

Does anyone know what the download frequency (not speed) is on the Chorus/UPC network. Not sure if it varies in different parts of the country although I would imagine it does (same as chorus/ntl(i.e. UPC) tv frequencies are different in Dublin vs Limerick)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Only UPC provision the modems on their network but I imagine some one here might have the answer to your question.

MC

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Cable modems are automatic. If it doesn't see a signal it repeatedly scans the whole band. (Possibly 862MHz to 110MHz).

There is no need whatsovever to know it. There will be multiple channels used in some areas. Each 8MHz from 110MHz to 862MHz can in theory be Analogue (one channel), Digital TV (number of channels on a Multiplex) or Broadband Data. The old Band I, 5MHz to 65MHz is used for the modem to communicate back.

The Chorus/NTL/UPC system can re-assign the modem to a different down and up channels.

Also you can only use the provided modem. An alternate won't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Just out of curiousity, I'd like to find out about the use of Band 1 on UPC. Is it true that if you can receive pictures on Band 1 frequencies on UPC cable, that there is no broadband available to you?

I know there's spectrum below 40MHz that would be free regardless, but I get the impression that UPC seems to switch off the Band 1 TV channels when making the local cable DOCSIS-capable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭DingDong

Just out of curiousity, I'd like to find out about the use of Band 1 on UPC. Is it true that if you can receive pictures on Band 1 frequencies on UPC cable, that there is no broadband available to you?

I know there's spectrum below 40MHz that would be free regardless, but I get the impression that UPC seems to switch off the Band 1 TV channels when making the local cable DOCSIS-capable.

On the current upgrade they switch off the band I to make way for the reverse path. Some of the older broadband area still have band I. Either way in the future band I will be reserved for BB use only.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Modern cable trunk ampliers do 5MHz to 65MHz "upstream" (Modem return) and 87MHz to 864MHz (often over 1GHz when tested) for any arbitary mix of Radio/TV/BB/Analogue/Digital signals.

Thus feeding Band I TV wouldn't even be possible.

So certainly Band I TV is a "bad" sign if you want Broadband.

• Advertisement
Advertisement