Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

€25k - which car...

Options
  • 06-10-2008 6:23pm

...have a 2004 Saab 9-3 1.9, want to get a newer car, but still second hand - maybe a nice 06 or 07 car. Had no complaints with the Saab, but was wondering what else is out there in that bracket.

Really like Honda Accords, the 2.2 ctdi exec looks nice. Is it my imagination or have they come down a lot in price on the second hand market?

Any other ideas or recommendations, or anyone got any comment about Saabs or Hondas that I should know about, like that they are changing the body?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

That budget would easily get you into a low mileage 2008 Accord 2.2ctdi from the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,245 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

That would probably also get you a 2006/2007 Lexus IS220d from the UK too.

The only problem I see is trying to sell your Saab here privately in a depressed market.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,450 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

If you were happy with the Saab, you're probably most interested in a newish car that is (very) comfortable and luxurious. You might want to stick with Saab (did you try a 9-5?)

I get the impression you did't drive the Accord yet. If not, do drive one. Fine car but you might be disappointed after the Saab

Have you thought of a Volvo S80?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭LolaDub

I know someone who had a saab 93 changed it for an accord, then went back to the saab and a few months ago bought the new jag x type. Still says he misses the saab! Haven driven the saab and accord myself i would prefer the saab by a long shot. I know someone who recently sold their saab 93 05 30k miles privately for 11k, they were trying to sell it for four months and thats the best they were offered. If you're selling privately try selling first and see what sort of offers you get in, then you'll have a better idea of what you can afford.

As you say accords have come down a lot but thats the market not the car, everything has come down. Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

...have a 2004 Saab 9-3 1.9, want to get a newer car, but still second hand - maybe a nice 06 or 07 car. Had no complaints with the Saab, but was wondering what else is out there in that bracket.

Really like Honda Accords, the 2.2 ctdi exec looks nice. Is it my imagination or have they come down a lot in price on the second hand market?

Any other ideas or recommendations, or anyone got any comment about Saabs or Hondas that I should know about, like that they are changing the body?

535d beemer for around 10-15k ( the 00-03, best 5 serise ever made, Fact. )

with the change ?? stick it out with the usual M sport craic and will enough left over to tax and put juice in here... much better then anything else in its range as the accords, though a nippy car... Its honda... if you dont grow out of them by the time you hit 18 theres something mentally wrong... relyable but yeah... a honda... Saabs a great choice... the 9-5 would be a close second... once its the turbo lump ofcourse...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

S.I.R wrote: »
    535d beemer for around 10-15k ( the 00-03, best 5 serise ever made, Fact. )

with the change ?? stick it out with the usual M sport craic and will enough left over to tax and put juice in here... much better then anything else in its range as the accords, though a nippy car... Its honda... if you dont grow out of them by the time you hit 18 theres something mentally wrong... relyable but yeah... a honda... Saabs a great choice... the 9-5 would be a close second... once its the turbo lump ofcourse...

What are you on about? The 535d only came out in 2005. And you won't get one for 25k either. The rest of that post is impossible to make sense out of.
    I used to love the 9-3's until I drove one. Honestly, the Accord is superior dynamically and mechanically. Don't take my word for it though. If you are getting the Accord, get a 08 one from the UK if possible, as the tax from this year on will be €290 as opposed to €850 odd up to the end of 2007. It'll make the difference in 2 years time when you go to sell it on. The Honda diesel engine is a nice bit ahead of the Fiat unit in the Saab too. That was a fine unit in it's day, but the game has now moved on, even Fiat have.
    If it must be another Saab, then hold out till next year and see if you can get a 08 ttid from the UK. It's the 180bhp version of your 1.9 diesel. You could look towards the 159. Best looking saloon on sale!

That budget would easily get you into a low mileage 2008 Accord 2.2ctdi from the UK.

Thanks, but then as bazz said, might be stuck with the problem of trying to get rid of the Saab in a private sale.
    bazz26 wrote: »
    That would probably also get you a 2006/2007 Lexus IS220d from the UK too.

I never liked the older Lexus but gotta that model looks nice alright.

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Lexus/IS220/Beige-interior/1196922/

Unkel - you're right, want something luxurious - but without splashing out on a BMW, Merc or Audi. BMWs seem to be all over the place here and, without wishing to get snobby, you either have a new 5 series or 4x4 or you're almost looked down on! Loads of Audis around the place too, I appreciate that's because they are a great car, but again want someting maybe that not everyone has. For some reason I'm not a huge fan of Volvos.

Thanks for all the other info regarding Saab v Honda. Some good food for thought there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,749 ✭✭✭smokingman

You get much more for your money with an Accord - especially the 2.2 diesel exec model.....got one two months ago myself and never looked back, absolute gem of a car!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

The 2.2 accord diesel exec is really nice, I've a petrol 2.0 but still a lovely car. Never driven any of the newer saabs though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 584 ✭✭✭aidankk

Seriously where would be the best place to look i was looking at the civic 2.2 same engine but new its near 29k

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭tv3

The new subaru legacy diesel is supposed to be good according to stats.Ive seen it and it looks lovely but not sure of the price.
    Does it have to be 4/5 door??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

tv3 wrote: »
    The new subaru legacy diesel is supposed to be good according to stats.Ive seen it and it looks lovely but not sure of the price.
    Does it have to be 4/5 door??

It's €29,950 or something list price, so add delivery and dealer charges. It'd fit inside the OP's budget in the new year if he looked for an ex-demo, maybe from the UK. Too new at the moment to get any.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

S.I.R wrote: »
    Its honda... if you dont grow out of them by the time you hit 18 theres something mentally wrong...

If I was rolling my eyes any further I'd be seeing the inside of my skull right now.

Cheapest used 08 Legacy diesel on carzone is €27,995.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭superjosh9

Biro wrote: »
    It's €29,950 or something list price, so add delivery and dealer charges. It'd fit inside the OP's budget in the new year if he looked for an ex-demo, maybe from the UK. Too new at the moment to get any.

Hmm, think in the current climate, walking in somewhere with €25k in cash might get you a good deal. Sounds like the Subarus are selling well at the moment though alright.

All sound like nice cars OP :)

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭jimogr

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Practical

jimogr wrote: »

27k for 2005 CLS? Holy moly!

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Poloman

25k?

You do realise there is a major recession coming right??

Practical wrote: »
    27k for 2005 CLS? Holy moly!

I would put money on that being one of our scammer friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭jimogr

I would put money on that being one of our scammer friends.

Yeah, looks like you're correct. The phone number is not in service...

• Advertisement

Yeah, looks like you're correct. The phone number is not in service...

Thought as much. I bet if you email the seller you will be told some bull story about the car being in another country and that it belonged to their sister who recently died and its ready to ship back to Ireland, or something like those lines.

Anyway back to the original topic.

Damn, had me going there for a minute.
    Poloman wrote: »

Oh I know, but I do want to update my car. For those who refer to buying from England or are wondering where will I get 25k, I'm banking on the vendor taking my car as part of the bargain, so really only planning an outlay of about 10k rather than 25k. But does kinda rule out buying private or abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Poloman wrote: »
    25k?

Its people with your mindset that feed the recession, Most people are still in employment and will be buying new cars etc, its not as if he is buying a Rolls Royce.

S.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭G_H

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭cvisser

that merc looks genuine, the reason its so chaep is , its 3.5 gasoline..... whos gonna buy it in this day & age.... u should look @ a BMW 530 dsl se auto, 2004 around 28-29K 40,000 mls.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Hotwheels

Take a 159 1.9 JTDm for a test drive, they come with a lot of kit as standard. And they are a nice place to be, excellent mile muncher..I'm on my second...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

cvisser wrote: »
    that merc looks genuine, the reason its so chaep is , its 3.5 gasoline..... whos gonna buy it in this day & age.... u should look @ a BMW 530 dsl se auto, 2004 around 28-29K 40,000 mls.

"Gasoline":rolleyes::rolleyes:?

Could that possibly be some sort of complicated way of writing "gas":rolleyes:?

Because "gas" is that thing also known as Methane and it is that thing that is always found next to oil.

It's also one of the three states elements or compounds can be in, and it is the state that an element/compound goes into after having changed from a liquid(or in the case of some elements/compounds, solids).

Hold on, I just remembered I'm in a motors forum.

In that case there's no such thing as a "gas" engine. There are dual fuel engines that happen to run on either CNG or LPG, which are a type of gas to pardon the pun.

But gas engines on their own certainly don't exist.

Cars do run on this thing they call petrol though. It's also the thing dual fuel cars usually run on as well.

Recession or no recession the CLS350 with the 3.5 petrol engine is dirt cheap, and as noted there is no private phone number that begins with "1" anyway, as all numbers bar lo-call and premium rate numbers start with "0". The ad was riddled with grammatical errors as well, people who are genuinely selling would usually take the trouble to proof read and make sure it makes linguistic and grammatical sense.

Surprised the OP isn't interested in Volvo, they're rather similar to Saabs really. Personally, the 9-3 and the S60 are around a long time and both are in dire need of replacement.

Having said that the 9-5 is as old as the hills, hard to believe that the 9-5 is based on the Vectra from 1995, while the 9-3 is based on the 02 Vectra, while Opel now have the new Insignia of course.

Lexus would probably suit the OP down to the ground too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

Cheapest used 08 Legacy diesel on carzone is €27,995.

I may be selling my 08 Legacy diesel in early '09 with a view to getting an Accord, Mazda 6 or even a 3-series...

• Registered Users Posts: 65,450 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

pburns wrote: »
    I may be selling my 08 Legacy diesel in early '09 with a view to getting an Accord, Mazda 6 or even a 3-series...

Not happy with the Legacy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭cvisser

E92 wrote: »
    "Gasoline":rolleyes::rolleyes:?

Could that possibly be some sort of complicated way of writing "gas":rolleyes:?

Because "gas" is that thing also known as Methane and it is that thing that is always found next to oil.

It's also one of the three states elements or compounds can be in, and it is the state that an element/compound goes into after having changed from a liquid(or in the case of some elements/compounds, solids).

Hold on, I just remembered I'm in a motors forum.

In that case there's no such thing as a "gas" engine. There are dual fuel engines that happen to run on either CNG or LPG, which are a type of gas to pardon the pun.

But gas engines on their own certainly don't exist.

Cars do run on this thing they call petrol though. It's also the thing dual fuel cars usually run on as well.

Recession or no recession the CLS350 with the 3.5 petrol engine is dirt cheap, and as noted there is no private phone number that begins with "1" anyway, as all numbers bar lo-call and premium rate numbers start with "0". The ad was riddled with grammatical errors as well, people who are genuinely selling would usually take the trouble to proof read and make sure it makes linguistic and grammatical sense.

Surprised the OP isn't interested in Volvo, they're rather similar to Saabs really. Personally, the 9-3 and the S60 are around a long time and both are in dire need of replacement.

Having said that the 9-5 is as old as the hills, hard to believe that the 9-5 is based on the Vectra from 1995, while the 9-3 is based on the 02 Vectra, while Opel now have the new Insignia of course.

Lexus would probably suit the OP down to the ground too.
    hey E92, I see you know how to Copy & Paste, or else your one of those guys that know everything about everything but know nothing, Do u drive a Taxi!!!!! Your that guy @ the Christmas party that i try and look interested when i'm listening to you, but i cant stop yawning and my eye lids are getting heavier and heavier, oh ye and my work mates behind u are laughing and making faces because i got stuck talking to you, ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ all i can say is lucky now i can click Start and click turn off computer, Nite Nite....

Advertisement