Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mototcycle parking/ producing insurance

• 06-10-2008 7:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 663 ✭✭✭

Got a bit of hassle today from a couple of Gardai for being 'parked' on the pavement. Location was Leeson street bridge, at the kiosk. At first I thought they were having a laugh, but not so. While it probably is technically not legal, I stop there almost every day while taking a break. Never had any hassle about it before ( in 7 years) even occasionally when there was a motorbike-Garda stopped there.
    Anyway they inspected my license/tax disc, and I have to produce my insurance cert. I normally carry this with me, but just renewed it last week and hadn't got the new cert with me.
    Question: when producing insurance at a station is it possible to get a receipt, as evidence to ensure against accusations of not having done it?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Got a bit of hassle today from a couple of Gardai for being 'parked' on the pavement. Location was Leeson street bridge, at the kiosk. At first I thought they were having a laugh, but not so. While it probably is technically not legal, I stop there almost every day while taking a break. Never had any hassle about it before ( in 7 years) even occasionally when there was a motorbike-Garda stopped there.
    Anyway they inspected my license/tax disc, and I have to produce my insurance cert. I normally carry this with me, but just renewed it last week and hadn't got the new cert with me.
    Question: when producing insurance at a station is it possible to get a receipt, as evidence to ensure against accusations of not having done it?

Jaysus, thats awful that they gave you grief.

But to answer your question yes they give you a 1 page thingie that acts as proof that you turned up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Chippy01

Question: when producing insurance at a station is it possible to get a receipt, as evidence to ensure against accusations of not having done it?[/quote]

The times that I have been asked to produce at a station before,:o the Gard behind the counter writes your documentation details, and the reason why you were asked to show your documents in a big book, time, date, everything.:rolleyes: Just ask for the book number (for future reference), and keep a note of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Sounds like the cops were being assholes. You should have asked them to point you to the nearest motorcycle parking area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Couriers and taxi drivers, gardai love picking on those two groups. I think they feel they're obliged to for some reason.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Chippy01 wrote: »

The times that I have been asked to produce at a station before,:o the Gard behind the counter writes your documentation details, and the reason why you were asked to show your documents in a big book, time, date, everything.:rolleyes: Just ask for the book number (for future reference), and keep a note of it.[/QUOTE]

Interesting, the last time (and only time!) i was asked for it i produced in Rathfarnham and was given an A4 document as proof

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 663 ✭✭✭CourierCollie

Thanks for all the replies. I was tempted to go with
    Paparazzo wrote: »
    You should have asked them to point you to the nearest motorcycle parking area.
    Thinking about it afterwards, they were obviously a couple of newbies, and wanted to assert their authority or something.
    Also never really felt picked on by Garda in general for being a courier, when your on the road all day your bound to encounter more of them is all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 451 ✭✭thetyreman

The only reason you saw them atall was because it was a fine day and the sun was shineing,if it was pssing rain there be no problem.By the way has anyone ever seen Garda rain/wet gear,i dont think they have any,and they dff dont need any.And by the way again what are you legally obliged to answer as regards questions by a garda,i recall years ago it was only your name and adress is this true...(op sorry for hijack)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭bmcgov86

they were just on a power trip. 99 out of a hundred guards wouldnt even think about saying anything!

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Red Hornet

Yeah u get a page to prove u turned up. I could paper my gaff with all d copies i have :D:D:D:D

Advertisement