Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How to take VRT all the way to the EU and win?

Options
  • 06-10-2008 7:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,196 ✭✭✭✭

I'm raging, :mad:

I paid £5500 for a car in the UK and I have a receipt

I've lived in the UK for 10mts, I know want to register the car in Ireland but will be subject to €7500 in VRT

I can buy the same car here in Ireland for €10,000, the VRT office has the car valued at €19,500

Now I have a recipt for the car that says £5500 which is the value of the car.

I could understand paying 36% VRT (Co2 based) on my purchase price but I don't see how the revenue can get away with increasing the open market selling price as the open market selling price is the price I paid (£5500) and I have proof.

There is something seriously unfair going on with the VRT system, it completly restricts the free movement of goods (enshrined in the EU constitution)

How do I take this case to the EU and force the Goverment to stop the theft by letter of the law? Is there a phone number, an office in Dublin a website?, somebody help me make things better and point me in the right direction....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

You need a solicitor, a barrister, well make that two barristers and over 100k to pay them as they'll be working on this for months

Best of luck :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I can buy the same car here in Ireland for €10,000, the VRT office has the car valued at €19,500
    What's the make/model/mileage?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,196 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Anan1 wrote: »
    What's the make/model/mileage?

Bloddy Brilliant:mad:, my car has just depreciated by €2000 in the last 7 days, the VRT is now only €6360, still a criminal tax rate....

DATE: 06 October 2008 TIME: 19:27 STATISTICAL CODE: 40485323 MAKE: MERCEDES-BENZ MODEL: C200 KOMPRESSOR ALL VERSIONS (From Sept. 2000) VERSION: ELEGANCE 04DR A / SALOON / AUTOMATIC / PETROL ONLY / CO2 EMISSIONS: 227</STRONG>
    MILEAGE: 108000 MILES DATE OF FIRST REGISTRATION: NOVEMBER 2002 OPEN MARKET SELLING PRICE: €17669 RATE OF TAX: 36% VEHICLE REGISTRATION TAX:
    (payable on enquiry date)
    €6360

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

Don't you get a VRT exemption after x months of being resident in the UK - provided you can prove this with wage-slips, utility bills etc?

micmclo wrote: »
    You need a solicitor, a barrister, well make that two barristers and over 100k to pay them as they'll be working on this for months

Best of luck :pac:

Great bit of advice, you must work in the public service:D

But seriously, if you threw the money behind the campaign is it quite possible the EU might rule in your favour and find the Irish Government involved in Anti-competitive practices.

They've done it to Apple and Microsoft, why not our Goverment..

• Advertisement

ciarsd wrote: »
    Don't you get a VRT exemption after x months of being resident in the UK - provided you can prove this with wage-slips, utility bills etc?

Only after 12mts, 10mts is no use, you are caught for full VRT:mad:

The VRT calculator makes almost no allowance for mileage, so your car isn't being depreciated for the high mileage. C180Ks are also among the most hard-hit by the change to CO2 - based VRT. Personally, i'd just get rid of the car and buy one here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

Only after 12mts, 10mts is no use, you are caught for full VRT:mad:

For the sake of 2 months & a lot of €€€€, is there no way to delay the 'move' of the car?

Here's more on it, in case you try this route:

http://www.revenue.ie/index.htm?/leaflets/vrt3.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

Not necessary. In other EU country there was a vey same situation:
    http://www.transportproblems.polsl.pl/pl/Archiwum/2007/zeszyt1/2007t2z1_06.pdf
    but... people simply complained to the European Government and in result the VRT was reduced, as it is against the EU Law. But here in Ireland I never heard about anyone officially appealed to the EU Government. People just take the system as is and just carry on...

Personally, i'd just get rid of the car and buy one here.

that's not what i'm trying to achieve, there are cars i'd like to buy here but the price is just crazy, I should not have to pay €20,000 for a car here when I can drive 100 miles and buy the same car for €7500, it makes no sense.
    I have a genuine case, I want a fundemental change in the law in relation to VRT

Look at the end of the day somebody has to stand up and say stop the rip off, do you know of it would be any use to lodge a complaint with the European Ombudsman?

• Advertisement

Many people have tried taking the government to court over this issue, it is illegal, however, the government pay a huge fine to the EU every year which works out much better for them than scrapping the VRT.

Seweryn wrote: »
    Not necessary. In other EU country there was a vey same situation:
    http://www.transportproblems.polsl.pl/pl/Archiwum/2007/zeszyt1/2007t2z1_06.pdf
    but... people simply complained to the European Government and in result the VRT was reduced, as it is against the EU Law. But here in Ireland I never heard about anyone officially appealed to the EU Government. People just take the system as is and just carry on...

Thanks, that's an Intresting article, one piece that caught my eye was..
    Article № 82 defines the duty rate more exactly. The price of purchase is
    visible on the invoice or another document of agreement to sell and buy. Only in such cases when the
    amount of purchase cannot be quoted it is possible to define it with reference to the market price.

I think what this means is that in Poland if you can produce a reciept for the car you purchaced, Tax will be charged on the price on the recieptt, if you can't produce a reciept then the Tax will be charged at the OMSP as dictated by the Government.

Now I have a reciept for £5500, I should pay 36% on that.
    Instead the Revenue are ignoring my reciept and charging me 36% on €17,669.

that can't be fair? It defintaly flies in the face of that EU ruiling?

the government pay a huge fine to the EU every year which works out much better for them than scrapping the VRT.

Surley that's making a mockery of the rule of law, Where can you see what fines were imposed?

Surley that's making a mockery of the rule of law, Where can you see what fines were imposed?
    I think you're being laughed at.;)

I think you're being laughed at.;)

I think your the one been laughed at;)
    sheep_shagger1.jpg

bahh...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

It's ****ing scandalous how they're getting away with this VRT ****e, you pay the government a large sum of money and get ABSOLUTELY NOTHING BACK FOR YOUR MONEY.. I think the guards should just start ignoring cars on foreign plates.. I don't have too much of a problem paying motor tax, but this is extortion.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Ì can't believe that you either never heard of VRT, or assumed that just because you were out of the country for 10 months, you would be entitled to dodge paying a tax that is inderectly built into the used car prices in Ireland.
    VRT isn't a tax on you bringing the car into the country, it's a tax on you registering the car to use on Irish roads. Sounds like you should have done your homework before buying as opposed to whinging about having to pay or not understanding one of the most publicised taxes in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

I think what this means is that in Poland if you can produce a reciept for the car you purchaced, Tax will be charged on the price on the recieptt,

In Poland actually there is no other way to VRT the imported car than present the purchase order between the seller and buyer. The fee would be then based on the agreed price shown on the written sale agreement. The only problem is that the "agreed" prices were usually way below the average market value to avoid the high fees. But the fees were illegaly charged anyway...

I think that if more people complain, the VRT would have to be banned by the EU Government, as it is simply illegal way of sucking some extra money from tax payers...

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Ì can't believe that you either never heard of VRT, or assumed that just because you were out of the country for 10 months, you would be entitled to dodge paying a tax that is inderectly built into the used car prices in Ireland.
    VRT isn't a tax on you bringing the car into the country, it's a tax on you registering the car to use on Irish roads. Sounds like you should have done your homework before buying as opposed to whinging about having to pay or not understanding one of the most publicised taxes in the country.

you've completly missed my point,

I have a reciept for £5500. That is the value of the car?

sheep_shagger1.jpg

bahh...
    Just pay the money or get rid of the car. You can appeal the VRT valuation afterwards. You personally have no chance of succcessfully challenging the VRT system. Be honest with yourself, could you even write a legible letter?

• Advertisement

you've completly missed my point,

I have a reciept for £5500. That is the value of the car?
    This shows your complete lack of understanding of the VRT system. Your receipt is meaningless, VRT is calculated on the OMSP (Open Market Selling Price) of the car here.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

sheep_shagger1.jpg

bahh...

WTF prompted that kind of unwarranted attack ?

Not funny ...not funny at all

One weeks break for you

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement