Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

One clove garlic

• 06-10-2008 7:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭

I bought a small basket of garlic in Lidl last week for about €1. Used it today and it was really unusual. The bulbs were small and the outside skin was slightly purplish. When I cut it, it was just one solid clove inside. No messing about peeling individual cloves. The flavour was really nice, can highly recommend giving it a try.

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

I got some of these a couple of weeks ago in Lidl. I found that they were great as I would usually use 3 or so cloves of garlic at a time but one of these did the same job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,057 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I got some of these a couple of weeks ago in Lidl. I found that they were great as I would usually use 3 or so cloves of garlic at a time but one of these did the same job.

Try roasting them in their skins for about 30-40 mins til hey'r soft and caramel coloured - yummmmmm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,472 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Saw those too .. aren't they called Chinese garlic or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭jos28

Just checked the label and they came from China alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

Pink / purple garlic has much more flavour than the regular white garlic - season for these is short, I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,784 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I've tried these too. They are not garlicky enough for my taste. I'll be going back to the good ol' multi-cloved version as soon as I'm done with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

I sure I read somewhere that a planted garlic clove needs to over winter in the ground to produce a multi cloved bulb - the moisture in the soil splits the clove into side shoots. Garlic that is grown and not watered often enough will produce the single cloved bulb - often happens with spring sown garlic.

Advertisement