Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New life to a old computer

Options
  • 06-10-2008 7:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

Hello everyone,

If I've posted this wrong or missed some nugget of information from the FAQs that would have stopped me posting this feel free to point it out.
    Basically I've got a Dell Dimension 4600, I know not the most popular thing, but here are the specs:

• Intel Pentium 4 2.8 GHz Processor with 800MHz Frontside Bus
    • 512MB PC3200 DDR Memory
    • 80 Gigabyte 7200rpm Hard Drive
    • Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Sound Card with Dell 5850 5.1 Speakers
    • ATI All-In-Wonder Radeon 9000 with 64MB Memory
    • Intel 10/100 Ethernet and v.92 56Kbps Modem
    • Eight USB 2.0 and One FireWire (On Sound Card) Ports
    Think those are the stats needed, I've also added an extra gig of ram, just a click in piece basically.
    My uses for the machine aren't complicated, I surf the net a little and I play MMOs on it. After finally kicking my Warcraft habit I moved on to a new one, Warhammer Online. The requirements are a lot tougher on this game, needing:

· 2.5 GHz P4 (single core) processor or equivalent
    · 1 Gigabyte RAM
    · A 128 MB Video Card, with support for Pixel Shader 2.0
    · At least 15 GB of hard drive space

Now I have a budget of €350 to spend on trying to upgrade this machine to run Warhammer? Can it be done or am I doomed?

Thanks for all your thoughts.

Newhand

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

If I were you I'd sell it (or give it away or use it for something else) and get a new one.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=57322610&postcount=79

The build in the above link is very fast and should handle anything you throw at it. To cut costs you could use the hard drive and dvd drive from your existing pc and maybe drop the graphics card to a 9600gt.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Newhand

Thanks for the quick response.
    As I'm not totally sure would the package you listed include a sound card? Or would that be ok to yoink from the old machine?

Its looking something like this at the moment:
    awdf8n.jpg

Think that might run with my hard drive?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

The sound card would be built in to the motherboard (as would the network card). I would spend a little bit extra and get a better graphics card. Probably an 8800gs or 9600gt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭kevovek

If I were you I'd sell it (or give it away or use it for something else) and get a new one.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=57322610&postcount=79

The build in the above link is very fast and should handle anything you throw at it. To cut costs you could use the hard drive and dvd drive from your existing pc and maybe drop the graphics card to a 9600gt.

if i were to choose those components on hardwareversand, is there any option for them to assemble the pc?

Yeah, you have to use the system builder. They charge €20 for it, handy enough service.

• Advertisement
Advertisement