Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skype for mobiles is out

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

elderlemon wrote: »
    One MAJOR problem is that it uses your skype credit for skype to skype call!

Major bummer.

Major enough to make me never use it!

I dont understand why people still use skype, the call quality has gone to sh1t (even skype-skype!)and its so expensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭azzeretti

Major enough to make me never use it!

I dont understand why people still use skype, the call quality has gone to sh1t (even skype-skype!)and its so expensive.

€2.95 a month for near unlimited calls to any landline in Ireland is hardly "so expensive". Its not much more to UK unlimited too. I've been using it for years and recently switched my whole company's telephone system onto Skype only. I wouldn't be without it....BTW, Fring is grand for mobile Skype.

Also, I have absolutely no connection with Skype at all.....just letting you know my experience.

Its expensive compared to 10euro (voipstunt) for 120 days of free calls to ANY land line in

Argentina
    Australia
    Austria
    Belgium
    Canada
    Chile
    Denmark
    Estonia
    Finland
    France
    Germany
    Hong Kong (+mobile)
    Ireland
    Italy
    Japan
    Liechtenstein
    Luxembourg
    Malaysia
    Netherlands
    New Zealand
    Norway
    Portugal
    Puerto Rico (+mobile)
    Russian Federation
    Singapore (+mobile)
    South Korea
    Spain
    Sweden
    Taiwan
    United Kingdom
    United States (+mobile)

Sorry for the long list but I needed to illustrate the point.

From my experience the call quality to land lines is much better also. I dont get dropped calls either, which is becoming ever more frequent on skype (My skype account is on my business card so I still have to use it)

Top this off with the fact that Skype have a questionable record/stance on user privacy and you have a looser. For me at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

theres also the infamous connection fee they brought in a couple of years back. just when every other telco is getting rid of connection fees

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Mylow

elderlemon wrote: »
    check out http://www.skype.com/intl/en-gb/download/skype/mobile/choose/pc/ - I am using the E61 version on my E71. works ok. One MAJOR problem is that it uses your skype credit for skype to skype call!

Major bummer.
    Have you looked at Fring? You can use SIP/Skype/Google Talk/MSN
    I think the E71 is fab phone. Decided no new gadgets for me, will stick with the E61.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

Im starting to think about changing from skype. Everyone here is right the call quality has gotten worse year on year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

What are the suggested alternatives to Skype? Someone mentioned viopstunt but I presume there are lots of others.

thanks.
    1huge1 wrote: »
    Im starting to think about changing from skype. Everyone here is right the call quality has gotten worse year on year.

I was on a skype to skype call last night, it dropped 4 times in the space of an hour.

Its not our internet connections either, as we have no problems when using Voipstunt........we used skype last night so I could see if I was being too hard on it.........and no I am not.

It has gone to the dogs since eBay got hold of it, they have put no new money into it and its showing. They just dont know what to do with it. There was talk of Google looking to buy it...........I am pretty sure they could make it work.

Its a shame really because its a well known brand, I mean ask someone if they have VOIP and they lok at you with a blank stare, most people know what skype is "oh internet phone calls".

As for alternatives, voipstunt is very good, I cant really knock it, but then all the places I call are on the free list so why would I!

I never get dropped calls on it and there is no noticeable lag. The call quality is also much better than Skype.

Advertisement