Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Customer Service will it improve with current world economy

Options
  • 06-10-2008 8:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,677 ✭✭✭

With the current economy will customer service improve again as over the last few years I think CS has got worse over time.

No longer the customer was right or the company would go out of their way to help you.

Maybe with people spending less that companies might value their customers now instead of not caring cause there was always someone else willing to buy the product.

I know it is a very general statement but we could say easily 75% of CS has got worse over time and lets hope CS gets better

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

It could also get worse since companies will be looking at ways at reducing costs and reckon the customer service side could use a bit of a culling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Its going to get worse...a lot worse and you can quote me on that. Most Call centres these days are being sent to India, as the cost of outsourcing to them is about 50% less than what a company would have to pay Irish ermployees. I've seen it and I've been a victim of it:

Worked for a service I will not name, which was focused on complex technical support for customers of a well known computer manufacturer. The service itself was quite popular, one of the strongest points that always came up in customer feedback was how nice it was to have FLUENT english speakers to talk to.

You'd think that this point would be an indicator of everything going well...nope. We were informed that the service was being to sent to India ("internal reintegration" I think it was dressed up as). Definitely not a customer focused move, definitely not a move to improve the service...just a move that saved a few quid and earned some dickhead high up a pat on the back.
    No longer the customer was right or the company would go out of their way to help you.

Personally, I don't think I could hate any single phrase in the world more than I do "The customer is always right". That statement is 99.9% bullsh1t, and is accountable for a huge number of headaches for me over the years. The customer is NOT always right, in fact most of the time the customer is talking **** on repeat because he's been told by people that if he shouts loud enough he'll get his way. So please, try doing CS yourself for a year or 2 and see if you can use that phrase then ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

DarkJager wrote: »
    Personally, I don't think I could hate any single phrase in the world more than I do "The customer is always right". That statement is 99.9% bullsh1t, and is accountable for a huge number of headaches for me over the years. The customer is NOT always right, in fact most of the time the customer is talking **** on repeat because he's been told by people that if he shouts loud enough he'll get his way. So please, try doing CS yourself for a year or 2 and see if you can use that phrase then ;)

Summed it up perfectly, along with "I pay your wages", I'm guessing if anything it will get worse, working in the retail sector if it get's harder to make sales I'd gladly pay less attention to come customer complaining about x if I know there's another customer waiting to purchase y. Sorry if that sounds crap but I can't tell the back I can't afford my mortgage because I spent too long helping some random punter who really just needed to be loved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Ryanair is a classic example of a company that has cut its customer service to the bone. Expect Aer Lingus to follow after their restructure plan. It seems to be the trend to modern day cost cutting.

In the not so distance future customer service in most companies will consist of just a recorded message with push button options for about 1/2 an hour before you finally get through to a human being on the other side of the globe. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,440 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

The problem is that, with the 80s, we didn't know better. People in general were more 'people-orientated' and less 'money-orientated' so service was better.

Now, after the Celtic Tiger, we've tasted the good life and we'll know what it was. We'll never go back to being people-orientated (not this generation, anyway) - we'll just be depressed and bitter for what was.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

It could also get worse since companies will be looking at ways at reducing costs and reckon the customer service side could use a bit of a culling.

Worse. And I agree totally with the above well though of comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Well ****ing said, i HATE that line of thinking, the customer is not only mostly never right, but if they hadnt made a balls of something themselves in the first place they wouldnt need to ring customer care at all, i had a guy try to tell me once we should provide him with a new phone because he dropped it in "water" read:toilet:D and we should show a bit of goodwill and send him a new phone as he was a customer of gasp, 3 years. now I've owned 2 VW cars so if I ram mine into a wall or drive it into a river will VW provide me with a new one for being a loyal customer? will they ****.

The other day saw a great example of this in Tescos, mother tries to cram a pile of shopping into one normal light plastic bag, gets 2 feet from counter, bag go boom, shopping on floor, jar of marmalade so splat and make mess, woman angrily storms around picking up stuff while an assistant goes to get a mop, manager type person walks over and says will glady replace marmalade, woman replies with classic line "ye'd ****ing want to it was your stupid bag that broke!" no you dumb bitch it was your failure with simple pyhsics that broke it! light bag vs heavy shopping= mess for some poor sap to clean up

• Registered Users Posts: 24,075 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I think that, with the way things are going, a customer will be very popular, if not rare, with shop-owners trying to drag the potential customer into the store, begging him to buy something, preferably for cash.

If the government doesn't do a proper job in the budget, we may as well turn off the lights (if the power hasn't been turned off already) and head south.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I think that on the whole customer service in Ireland is pretty decent and prompt. I'm working on the continent at the moment and I must say that I'm surprised at the slowness of service over here and lackadaisical attitude at times.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

dudara wrote: »
    I think that on the whole customer service in Ireland is pretty decent and prompt. I'm working on the continent at the moment and I must say that I'm surprised at the slowness of service over here and lackadaisical attitude at times.

Indeed.

Indeed, I often find alot of people who moan about poor service often do so about the most minor or self inflicted of things (my computer should have been able to withstand a fall! That should be normal wear and tear! Curtains should be able to withstand a boil wash!) and the real crunch time comes when something more serious arises, and when it does for me I often seem to find a helpful, friendly person at the other end of the phone/ counter.

Maybe this has soemthing to do with not going in all guns blazing. You should never say "I know my rights!" unless you really are sure of it. :)

I've worked in countries where the attitude is "Wait there until WE get to YOU".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

SDooM wrote: »
    Indeed, I often find alot of people who moan about poor service often do so about the most minor or self inflicted of things (my computer should have been able to withstand a fall! That should be normal wear and tear! Curtains should be able to withstand a boil wash!) and the real crunch time comes when something more serious arises, and when it does for me I often seem to find a helpful, friendly person at the other end of the phone/ counter.

Maybe this has soemthing to do with not going in all guns blazing. You should never say "I know my rights!" unless you really are sure of it. :)

True, a lot of the problem seems to be that customer's seem to expect the ultimate service, I'm no problem with the turning customers into fans concept or Fergal Quinn's Boomerang Theory, but customer's seem to expect everything these days, forget about offering fries with that they a lot of people expect a back rub and foot massage thrown in just for buying their groceries from you.
    I think new money has a to to do with it, it may actually be good when people start to feel the pinch.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Personally, I don't think I could hate any single phrase in the world more than I do "The customer is always right".

That should be "The customer always thinks their right"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Welease

"I think that on the whole customer service in Ireland is pretty decent and prompt. I'm working on the continent at the moment and I must say that I'm surprised at the slowness of service over here and lackadaisical attitude at times."

I would respectfully have to disagree :)

I left Ireland in 1988 and have lived in the UK since then. I returned in November last year, and as a result of buying a new house etc etc etc.. have had plenty of opportunity to deal with retailers/customer service within Ireland. There have been some great experiences, but on the whole i found the majority of retailers i have dealt with provide poor service (missed delivery dates, lost orders, general we don't give a crap attitude), compared to the service we received in the UK.

My hope is as the economy tightens, those who consistantly provide bad service will either have to up their game or go out of business. They will be fighting for a lot less customers in the future, and people will eventually vote with their pockets.

Namesco wrote: »
    That should be "The customer always thinks their right"

Alister Crowley said:

"The customer is usually wrong but it rarely pays to tell them so".

Welease wrote: »
    "I think that on the whole customer service in Ireland is pretty decent and prompt. I'm working on the continent at the moment and I must say that I'm surprised at the slowness of service over here and lackadaisical attitude at times."

I would respectfully have to disagree :)

I left Ireland in 1988 and have lived in the UK since then. I returned in November last year, and as a result of buying a new house etc etc etc.. have had plenty of opportunity to deal with retailers/customer service within Ireland. There have been some great experiences, but on the whole i found the majority of retailers i have dealt with provide poor service (missed delivery dates, lost orders, general we don't give a crap attitude), compared to the service we received in the UK.

My hope is as the economy tightens, those who consistantly provide bad service will either have to up their game or go out of business. They will be fighting for a lot less customers in the future, and people will eventually vote with their pockets.

And I, conversely, have had some of my worst in the UK.

Or maybe it is because bad service stands out much more than good in your head? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Welease

SDooM wrote: »
    Or maybe it is because bad service stands out much more than good in your head? :)

Well i think thats probably true of most folks :)

I suppose it's all relative though.. Have we gotten to the stage with many companies that processing my order and delivering it when agreed is now considered good service? Because so many don't even seem capable of providing that level of service (here AND in the UK :))

My main annoyance is companies telling me what they think i want to hear rather than actually telling me the truth.. Waiting 3 months for a table to be delievered that was guaranteed 1 week delivery.. Every friday being told that they have checked and it has been shipped the previous day.. for 3 months.. now look.. you're getting me all wound up again ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

The customer is always wrong. I don't care if he's a doctor, or a nuclear psychian. If they call IT Support, they're admitting they don't know how to fix it, so they listen to me how to fix it. What sort of dumb f**k rings up a helpdesk (past job, and stories from other tech friends) to lecture the tech how to fix a problem... and then asks states that as their solution fails, they want a full refund :eek::D:confused::(

=-=

As for customer service... pack your own bags. Instant saving, as you don't employ bag packers. Some wackos think CS = something for free. Why should someone take it upon themselves to do more than their job spec, when on minimum wage. If you get paid more than minimum wage, sure, you provide that little bit extra, but otherwise... nah. As for that "quick chat"... not when there's 5 people behind you. Outta the way. I came here to buy sh|r, not stand behind two old wans nattering on about the weather...:rolleyes:

Advertisement