Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinions on dirt bike helmets

Options
  • 06-10-2008 8:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭

What are peoples' opinions about the increasing sight of commuter cyclists wearing dirt bike helmets?

Please don't reply if you're post is of the ideologically-opposed-to-helmets variety

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

Slice wrote: »
    What are peoples' opinions about the increasing sight of commuter cyclists wearing dirt bike helmets?

I've never seen it - apart from the guy on the tricycle with the yellow full-face.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Slice

Sorry, I mean the mountainbikehelmets

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I didn't think there was any difference between mountain bike helmets and road helmets apart from the visor?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

Sorry, I mean the mountainbikehelmets

What kind?

6121.jpg 8585.jpg 16628.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

Morgan wrote: »
    I've never seen it - apart from the guy on the tricycle with the yellow full-face.

I've seen that guy in practically every part of Dublin, he must be a protected structure at this point or something :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭'68 Fastback

If you mean the P!sspot style(?) I think they're alright. Would'nt use one myself but don't have a problem with 'em. They seem to be cut way lower on the back of your noodle as to offer more protection but i reckon that they'd be too hot for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Slice

What kind?

The last one; sorry I don't know what it's officially called :pac:

The last one; sorry I don't know what it's officially called :pac:

That a p!sspot alright. Mostly for dirt jumping. Not much for aerodynamics but good on protection.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

I always called em skater helmets. BMX too. No idea of their design parmeters.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Skaters often fall backwards, hence the protection for the back of the head.

Unless you're planning to fall off the back of your bike in some freak wheelie accident I'd stick with a cycling helmet.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Lumen wrote: »
    Unless you're planning to fall off the back of your bike in some freak wheelie accident I'd stick with a cycling helmet.

Someone buy one for Robbie McEwan.

_41812386_mcewen.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

I use a skater-style helmet for commuting, mainly because I prefer the look of it. It conforms to the same EU safety specification as most regular helmets on sale here i.e. EN 1078. I find it's a bit warmer (or, if you prefer, less well ventilated) than my road bike helmet and somewhat more comfortable. However, the strap adjustment system is not great as it sometimes works itself a little bit loose under my chin. (Mine is made by 661; other manufacturers may do things differently.)

el tonto wrote: »
    Someone buy one for Robbie McEwan.

_41812386_mcewen.jpg

I'd be more impressed if he did that in cleats:D.

'68 wrote:
    I'd be more impressed if he did that in cleats:D.

wheelie(s).jpg

Happy now?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

And another...

_40406831_mcewen.jpg

My joy has reached its peak!

Advertisement