Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Scummers Hit and Run

Options
  • 06-10-2008 10:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭

I was parked in Limerick earlier and some scummers back into my car and drove off.

I had a Witness and between us we hoped we have the right reg or near enough to it that the Gardai can track it down.

Im concerned because it was an old car full of hoodies that backed into my car that they may not be insured, vehicle registered to anybody.

They backed their bucket into my beautiful 06 Audi and did in my rear passenger door before tearing up the road.

They backed up to check the damage and stared at me. I was on the phone and didnt even know it happened. I knew they were up to no good so memorised their reg just in case somebody needed it. Little did I know it would be me. I was on the phone so with the shock of it wasnt sure if I had the correct reg. The witness was the same.

PICT0574.jpg

I was talking to the owner of the shop and it appears that the camera may pick up their reg due to the location they were stopped in.

Worse is, its a company car and only 4 months ago somebody stole the fogs out of my other company car. Im cursed.

If the driver can be found but has no Insurance, what do I do?

Do I sue / my company sue the driver?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

Thats awful quirke_folder, sorry to hear it.

Where abouts were you parked?

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

h3000 wrote: »
    Thats awful quirke_folder, sorry to hear it.

Where abouts were you parked?

Outside the door of Rios Fish & Chipper in Castletroy at the Kilmurry roundabout.

They backed out of one of the spaces and into the side of the car.

I was thinking if it was in the city centre they might have been on one of the Garda cameras, but that idea is out the window now.

Do the Kilmurry have cameras at the gates, they might be able to see the car exiting Rio's gates.

h3000 wrote: »
    I was thinking if it was in the city centre they might have been on one of the Garda cameras, but that idea is out the window now.

Do the Kilmurry have cameras at the gates, they might be able to see the car exiting Rio's gates.

We walked into the chipper and it showed a group of cameras on the tv. You could clearly see the back of my car. We believe that the reg would have showed up here because thats where they stopped first, right near the back of my car. If not the Gardai said they would check the other premises that are there. Most places will only point cameras at their own building and not the parking spaces.

I doubt the Lodge has cameras on the gates but I will cast my eyes over them in the morning when I pass.

I know the owner of Rios( as I was talking to him when it happened ) so I will visit him at lunch time tomorrow to go through his digital camera system. Thank god he has new technology.

In the end I have the witness who was sitting in his card eating his dinner who saw it all happen. He was glad to give over his name and mobile.

Im going to pursue them through their insurance and Gardai and hope that legal action is not required if they are uninsured.

Cool hope you get it sorted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

OP - sorry to hear that. If it's a company car though, then would your company not take care of it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭recycle

I was parked in Limerick earlier and some scummers back into my car and drove off.

I had a Witness and between us we hoped we have the right reg or near enough to it that the Gardai can track it down.

Im concerned because it was an old car full of hoodies that backed into my car that they may not be insured, vehicle registered to anybody.

They backed their bucket into my beautiful 06 Audi and did in my rear passenger door before tearing up the road.

They backed up to check the damage and stared at me. I was on the phone and didnt even know it happened. I knew they were up to no good so memorised their reg just in case somebody needed it. Little did I know it would be me. I was on the phone so with the shock of it wasnt sure if I had the correct reg. The witness was the same.

PICT0574.jpg

I was talking to the owner of the shop and it appears that the camera may pick up their reg due to the location they were stopped in.

Worse is, its a company car and only 4 months ago somebody stole the fogs out of my other company car. Im cursed.

TBH, first reading the title of the thread, I thought it was going to be a genuinely frightenting story ie an individual being hit on the road.

All in all, while its a pain the the arse for you, its a company car and inconvenience wise probably amounts to just a day or two in the bodshop. Not bad by any stretch of the imagination.

Forget the nonsense of sueing for the sake of it. Let the insurance companies and Gards take care of those things. After all its part of what you pay them for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

It may have been a blessing that you did not apprehend these guys, It is Limerick :eek:

Best let the Gardai go the work.

Anan1 wrote: »
    OP - sorry to hear that. If it's a company car though, then would your company not take care of it?

I hardly think the fact its a company car means that it should all be ok. The Company was not at fault so should not put its hand in its pocket.

Its all down to the scangers.

My question WAS, what position am I in if they do not have Insurance?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Took 2 seconds to get this via Google - second search result. I imagine your not too familiar with the search engine :rolleyes:

http://www.google.ie/search?hl=en&q=uninsured+car+accident+claim&btnG=Search&meta=cr%3DcountryIE

http://www.mibi.ie/uninsured-unidentifi.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

did you try sticking the reg into cartell and see what comes up?

Bluetonic wrote: »
    Took 2 seconds to get this via Google - second search result. I imagine your not too familiar with the search engine :rolleyes:

http://www.google.ie/search?hl=en&q=uninsured+car+accident+claim&btnG=Search&meta=cr%3DcountryIE

Your not very polite. You might want to try some manners.

Most people do not find themselves in this situation and goolging non factual information is farsical to say the least. I was looking for peoples honest current, regional and relevant opinions.

But thank you for your concern on my technological competence. I shall keep it in mind when considering how not to lose sleep tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Your not very polite.
    I didn't realise you knew me.
    Most people do not find themselves in this situation and goolging non factual information is farsical to say the least.
    I didn't realise the MIBI provide non factual information.
    I was looking for peoples honest current, regional and relevant opinions.
    Were posters supposed to guess this is what you were looking for? You asked two questions, none stated you were looking for peoples honest current, regional and relevant opinions.
    Most people would find that the link I posted answered those questions fully.

Judging by your attitude its not too far fetch to imagine that the driver of the car might know you :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

ah here, can we stop the argueing and get back on topic?
    OP, you said you THINK you know the reg.... as I said in my previous post, stick it into cartell and see if the description matches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

This very thing happened to me last week. I was lucky in that it was witnessed and I got their reg. The Gardai acted very quickly and found the guy, he has 10 days to produce his insurance, after that it becomes a criminal investigation.

ShayK1 wrote: »
    ah here, can we stop the argueing and get back on topic?
    OP, you said you THINK you know the reg.... as I said in my previous post, stick it into cartell and see if the description matches.

Thank you.

A Sensibe Reply

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Thank you.

A Sensibe Reply

But did you try it ?!!

Jees, reading this thread is hard work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

But did you try it ?!!

Jees, reading this thread is hard work.

You said it...

I hardly think the fact its a company car means that it should all be ok. The Company was not at fault so should not put its hand in its pocket.

Its all down to the scangers.?
    The car does not belong to you, and is not insured by you. The company therefore, and not you, makes the decisions about what to do. Your only right & responsibility is to cooperate with them as and when asked. Or am I missing something?
    See above.

Anan1 wrote: »
    The car does not belong to you, and is not insured by you. The company therefore, and not you, makes the decisions about what to do. Your only right & responsibility is to cooperate with them as and when asked. Or am I missing something?

See above.

The company owns the vehicle and pays the bills. I contol the car completely. I drive the car, I decide when its serviced. I decide when the oil needs topping up.

I deal with the ramifications of people crashing into it not the office which is 396kms from my house.

My company allows me the grace of dealing with the initial problem solving of this incident which is why Im asking for people experiences and advice of what to do if I find the driver has no Insurance.

Dear Moderators. Please LOCK this thread or remove it completely.

• Advertisement

The company owns the vehicle and pays the bills. I contol the car completely. I drive the car, I decide when its serviced. I decide when the oil needs topping up.

I deal with the ramifications of people crashing into it not the office which is 396kms from my house.

My company allows me the grace of dealing with the initial problem solving of this incident which is why Im asking for people experiences and advice of what to do if I find the driver has no Insurance.

Dear Moderators. Please LOCK this thread or remove it completely.
    Easy on there, i'm only trying to help you. Have you informed your company yet? That's your first obligation. I'm sure they've dealt with this before, they'll set you straight on how it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭cul-2008

It may have been a blessing that you did not apprehend these guys, It is Limerick :eek:

..there's always one - quite pathetic really :rolleyes:

Sorry to hear about your car OP - hope you catch the f*ckers. People have absolutely NO respect for other peoples property these days...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Bluetonic wrote: »

If I was the OP and I could choose between some passing gawper carrying out a "2 second" google search so that he could then uselessly post just to sarcastically insult me or else instead having the same I]TechGuru[/I person just fcuk off.....I know which one I'd pick :rolleyes:

OP - hope you get it all sorted out ASAP, the parking situation there [know it well] was done with a huge emphasis on sparing tarmac, meaning there is no room and I'd say these incidents are daily occurrences.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Did you ask your company if they will cover the cost of repairs?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,322 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I think you should sue yourself.

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement