Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

submitting on blackboard

Options
  • 06-10-2008 10:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 34

hi,

i am trying to submit an assignment on blackboard. When i try to, having inputted my student number in the comment box, the file comes up as:

C:\Users\johnbanks39\Desktop\information.xlsx

when i press submit, it says : please enter a valid file

can anyone help??? what am i doing wrong??

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

The issue could be that Blackboard is not recognising the file as it's an Office 2007 file.
    Try saving the excel file as an Excel 2003 file (.xls), then try to upload and see what happens.

(Apparently there are some issues with Office 2007 and Blackboard...)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

Don't suppose your using firefox?

Girlfriend had a similar problem, we tried a word doc, pdf doc, and docx file.

She wrote an email to her tutor, as did other from the group she was doing the project with, only to receive a not so nice email back which was meant to be sent to someone else about how she used mozilla and that it states on the site you can't use it.

Could be your problem. Try it in IE

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭ucdperson

Office 2007 files should only be an issue with safeassignment and the like. General Blackboard submission should work with IE7 or Firefox 2, it will not work with Firefox 3 or IE 8 beta, not sure about other browsers. I think Blackboard is only guaranteed to work with Internet Explorer 6!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Even if the office file isn't the issue, I'd still try to avoid submitting it if possible. Nothing other than office 2007 can open xlsx files, so if your lecturer is using an older version of office, or open office, they won;t be able to access the file.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭the evil lime

It's IE you should use. Blackboard and Firefox don't get on (I just had to handle 150+ submissions, I learned that the hard way). If it's still not working I'd say email it to the lecturer.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Why don't they mandate PDF submission - cuts out all this nonsense? Glad to see blackboard is still a flaky pile of puke, just like it used to be when I was an undergrad.

Why don't they mandate PDF submission

PDF submission wouldn't help the browser problem. But it would be more machine independent. There is a filter to allow older versions of Microsoft Office open 2007 version files, which is good as UCD probably isn't planning to buy any more new computers.

* and yes , Blackboard is still a flaky pile of puke

The docx etc.? Must look for that, have been asking people to resave and resend files for the last while.

Must look for that, have been asking people to resave and resend files for the last while.

http://tinyurl.com/3xr4tt

of course people can also use the old .doc format to save by default.

Doh, thought you said to allow open office to open docx files. My bad. Guess I'll ahve to lkeep asing people to save it in a normal file format...

• Advertisement

I think Open office 3 (now in RC3) will open Microsoft Office 2007 files to some extent, but I haven't tried it.

Replying to my own posting, I've just downloaded Open Office 3 and tried to open a Docx file (a slightly complex one). It made a complete mess of the job. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

Red Alert wrote: »
    Why don't they mandate PDF submission - cuts out all this nonsense? Glad to see blackboard is still a flaky pile of puke, just like it used to be when I was an undergrad.

So every student has to submit all their assignments in PDF format? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭graduate

So every student has to submit all their assignments in PDF format?

Why not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

It would make a lot of sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Would make a lot more sense than all that ****ing around with M$ Office...

PDF is a universal format that loads of applications (including MS office if you download the free PDFCreator) can write documents out to. It displays exactly the same on any computer, as long as the machine can read PDF's. For assessment purposes it's much harder to tamper with a PDF file than a Word or other program-specific file.

If only things were that easy. Half the students out there don't even know what a PDF is

Would make a lot more sense than all that ****ing around with M$ Office...

Oh yawn, M$.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭christo82

My sister had a similar problem to these today submitting an essay. An error screen kept coming up after pressing submit. We finally fixed it by using Firefox instead of Internet Explorer, which is strange considering IE would be the biggest and most widely used software. Definitely something for the Techies in UCD or wherever to look into.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,388 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Soory to drag up this old thread, but have just had to submit my first essay through Blackboard, and wanna know if I did it right. I went into Tools>Digital Dropbox, then added the file and submitted. Is that all I have to do? A message saying it wouldn't be sent did come up, but the receipt has it as been added to the Dropbox. So is it ok?

EDIT: Then found where Send File was, clicked that, chose the existing file, and said it had been sent on to people with role of Instructor. I'm guessing now that its ok? Also, had an Office 2007 file and Firefox...worked fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,009 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Wasn't there an Assignment? Normally, you submit the file when you "do the assignment".

There is a PDF Writer Plugin for Office 2007, so you could save straight from Excel to PDF. However, if your lecturer tells you to submit an Excel file, that means XLS, Office 97-2003 format.

I have had the browser issue before, and the solution (on Windows) was to use Internet Explorer to submit.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

If you have trouble submitting by BB then try a different browser... Had trouble last semester and it turns out it was something to do with Firefox.

Yeah BB is very IE-centric. Pity the college couldn't have chosen a more standards-compliant system but there you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭woop

there has been recent difficulty with BB submission though

lots of people cant submit off theyre lappys and end up doing it on the ucd ones

Advertisement