Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Argos Rip-off

Options
  • 06-10-2008 11:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭

Argos (Ireland ) are selling this for €573
    Argos (UK) are selling it for £333 which coverts to €430.

Thats a difference of €143

Total rip-off:mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

So get a flight over there and buy it there.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH, how many more threads to we have to have saying you can buy something for less in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

Gillo wrote: »
    So get a flight over there and buy it there.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH, how many more threads to we have to have saying you can buy something for less in the UK.

Think before you post!
    The do delivery only on this item.
    Try to be constructive:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Get them to deliver to Heathrow:D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,075 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Worth contacting them to ask whether they've made a slight error.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Thats a difference of €143

Total rip-off:mad:

This is just another example of a well known common, common rip off that is being done every day in Ireland on many items, from expensive items to magazines.
    There is another thread here discussing this same subject. I suggest you look that one up too.

What's the Government doing? Nothing (well not entirely true, they are "talking") - whats new!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

why not drive up to Argos in the North and buy it there as they have the same catalogues as the UK.

Me and the missus are currently planning a bug crimbo shopping run up north soon (with kids / household budgets the earlier the better ;) )

Vote with your feet

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

They can charge what they want in fairness! They'll just say import costs or some rubbish is the reason it's higher!

well they do have somewhat of a valid argument with regards to insurance and staff costs but still if you don't like the price of something simply shop elsewhere (even if it is across the border)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

miju wrote: »
    well they do have somewhat of a valid argument with regards to insurance and staff costs but still if you don't like the price of something simply shop elsewhere (even if it is across the border)
    +1

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Biggins wrote: »
    What's the Government doing? Nothing (well not entirely true, they are "talking") - whats new!
    What do you expect them to do? enforce price matching with ever other country, vodka can be got for 50cent a bottle in China, match that please.

The gov would not really mind too much, they get more VAT the higher the price is. There is a break even point e.g. cigarette tax cannot go too high or the black market will takeover, but they cannot enforce price matching with argos.

€533 here, so the irish gov gets 21% AFAIK, so €112
    shop up north and you get it for
    €430 then AFAIK you are contributing about €75 to the UK's economy.

If everybody did this they would just have to increase income tax here, and the UK could lower theirs! SHould be pointed out to the "celtic I hate brits" brigade if they boast about savings buying from UK.

The item in question is heavy, and probably arrives in containers to the UK, then needs to be sent to here at huge cost.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

The OP better hurry and buy this immediatly, the Government is going to hike the Vat rate in the budget :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

If you do like it then move to the USSR circa 1975.... that all worked out well didn't it...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

The OP better hurry and buy this immediatly, the Government is going to hike the Vat rate in the budget :eek:

No, they cant. The max allowable in EU is 21%

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭gombín

EU Max. is 25% which is in place for most goods & services in both Sweden & Denmark. Poland & Finland also have a rate of 22%.
    No, they cant. The max allowable in EU is 21%

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Have a look in Buy and Sell - I got one a few months ago for €400. It was hardly used and worth €1000. People are forever buying these things and then selling them on.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Different companies charge different prices in different countries.

They're free to charge whatever they like.

You are free to register your dissatisfaction by not giving them your money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Have a look in Buy and Sell - I got one a few months ago for €400. It was hardly used and worth €1000. People are forever buying these things and then selling them on.
    I see these type of things being thrown out in skips in South Dublin. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

Sure go up the north and buy it - they use the same catalogue as the Uk stores.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I was buying a bread-maker in Argos here and saw it at €159. Then I happened to check argos.co.uk and saw it at an equivalent €106 so I went up north and bought it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭pred racer

just followed the OP's link and it is now €859.99 :eek:

• Advertisement

Though in fairness the UK price has gone up to £499 or €630 oh errrrrr.

The VAT man is not going to like me this christmas I tell you. Already bought the kids main pressies from German based online businesses which will arrive in the post any day now :)

Have also spent €140 booking a Radisson hotel in Belfast for the weekend with the missus for the rest of our shopping. We get a kid free weekend and cheaper shopping and can prob make the weekend "pay for itself" :)

Advertisement