Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you give a damn about Ulster?

• 06-10-2008 11:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭

Connaught's win over Leinster in the rugby at the weekend (and the wild scenes that followed) shows that for some people, provincial identity is still alive and well. When Munster hammered Leinster a few years ago, the online sparring between the folks in the south-west and the east-coasters was a sight to behold. For me, when Ulster play in rugby, I'll support them - but only because they're Irish. I feel no attachment to this province at all. County and nation, yes but the province is of no real consequence as far as I'm concerned.

I'm aware that there is a certain prickliness amongst Cavan GAA supporters when it comes to discussing Ulster teams. There's a certain defensiveness and a belief that the other provinces are "down" on Uladh. Maybe it's true but I didn't support either Kerry or Tyrone in the All-Ireland final this year. After Cavan, I like to see the neighbouring counties (and Donegal) do well regardless of which province they're in. This always-support-the-Ulster-team attitude does nothing for me at all.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭muincav

Well I actually played rugby in Ulster and a lot of Gaa in Cavan, but if Ulster were playing either Munster or Leinster I would still not be cheering for Ulster,.
    For me, I still feel no attachment to Ulster rugby as I feel that coming from the 3 southern counties most players dont . With the exception of Tommy Bowe from Monaghan not too many players from our side of the border have had the chance to play inter provincial. I can even think of one player from Cavan who chose to play for Leinster some years ago rather than Ulster, but then again who would want to play along side the likes of bigotts like Davy Tweed.
    On another note I think Munster and Leinster both play a more exciting brand of rugby than ulster. I also believe after playing rugby myself that I came up against some bigotry here in Cavan, by being denied a place on my local Gaa team, when I had no problems before I played rugby, so it flows both ways unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭KrazeeEyezKilla

I wouldn't be a huge Rugby fan but I remember when Ulster won the European Cup in 1999 in Landsdowne Road. Most of the Ulster fans were waving Northern Ireland flags with the little crown over the Red Hand. I didn't see the Ulster flag anywhere. It's hard for someone in Cavan to feel an attachment to a team that has little or no connection to here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Gadjodilo

I wouldn't be a huge Rugby fan but I remember when Ulster won the European Cup in 1999 in Landsdowne Road. Most of the Ulster fans were waving Northern Ireland flags with the little crown over the Red Hand. I didn't see the Ulster flag anywhere. It's hard for someone in Cavan to feel an attachment to a team that has little or no connection to here.

I'm really thinking of the identification that GAA fans from here (and Donegal and Monaghan) have with other Ulster teams. When I said I didn't care whether Tyrone won or not, the reaction was as often as not one of astonishment. I know one guy who loathes Tyrone (and especially their fans) but he was backing them that day just because they're from Ulster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Gadjodilo

muincav wrote: »
    Well I actually played rugby in Ulster and a lot of Gaa in Cavan, but if Ulster were playing either Munster or Leinster I would still not be cheering for Ulster,.
    For me, I still feel no attachment to Ulster rugby as I feel that coming from the 3 southern counties most players dont . With the exception of Tommy Bowe from Monaghan not too many players from our side of the border have had the chance to play inter provincial. I can even think of one player from Cavan who chose to play for Leinster some years ago rather than Ulster, but then again who would want to play along side the likes of bigotts like Davy Tweed.
    On another note I think Munster and Leinster both play a more excitingt brand of rugby than ulster. I also believe after playing rugby myself that I came up against some bigotry here in Cavan, by being denied a place on my local Gaa team, when I had no problems before I played rugby, so it flows both ways unfortunately.

GAA rules supreme in this part of the world. Even football teams like Monaghan United and Longford Town struggle to get a look-in. And the same goes for rugby. I remember people here supporting Ulster when they won the European Cup but they'd support any other Irish team in the same boat.

But it seems to be slightly different with GAA. A lot of people will always support the Ulster team in a GAA match no matter what.

Sad to hear about the bigotry incident. Was it because you'd played rugby before or something more sinister?

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭muincav

Gadjodilo wrote: »
    GAA rules supreme in this part of the world. Even football teams like Monaghan United and Longford Town struggle to get a look-in. And the same goes for rugby. I remember people here supporting Ulster when they won the European Cup but they'd support any other Irish team in the same boat.

But it seems to be slightly different with GAA. A lot of people will always support the Ulster team in a GAA match no matter what.

Sad to hear about the bigotry incident. Was it because you'd played rugby before or something more sinister?

It was because I started playing rugby whilst also playing GAA and soccer, but had been at soccer before rugby-so I conclude that the rugby caused the problem,,,that and the fact of some smart arse GAA selectors (who had never kicked a ball), dropping comment about going back to playing foreign games. I loved all the sport I played, but have a very bad view of the GAA after that,. I did transfer to another GAA team who were only glad of me and continued at rugby and soccer and LOADS of other "FOREIGN GAMES"...LOL:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement