Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DHCP not working on my router

Options
  • 07-10-2008 12:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭

Here's the situation. Its a complicated one but it has always worked until now.

I am using a Dlink adsl modem router.
    Airport Extreme Base station
    Airport Express (for extending the network)

I use the Dlink adsl modem/router as just a modem. I don't this in bridge mode though. This is also the DHCP server for my network.

The Airport extreme base station is set up in bridge mode and the airport express is user to extend the base station network range using a thing apple use called Wireless Distribution System.

The other day tho, the IP addresses on all the equipment ie. base station and airport express were not being assigned and neither were they on my laptop and iphone.

Does anyone know a way I can fix this. I have tried using the DHCP feature on the base station but it's really bad.

Would getting a new modem router solve the problem

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

I use a similar set up so know what you mean.

Have you tried connecting the laptop by ethernet to the dlink to see if the dhcp is working?

Its important to do a bit of diagnosis before spending any money!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

Thanks for the response Dub45

I currently have a desktop connected to the router by means of ethernet and there is no problem with the DHCP assigning to this computer.

I also found out that the Extreme base station has no problem gaining an IP address but the airport express is not able to gain an IP address from the DHCP.

I am going to try to reset the airport express back to factory settings and see if this has any impact on the problem.

Dub45: do you use the modem to assign the IP address or the built in DHCP server in the airport extreme base station ??

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

I use the modem/router for dhcp - its a netgear and cant be bridged. Anyways apparently it has a better firewall than the extreme.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

okay it;s only the airport express station that won't gain an Ip address. Assigning a static ip address for the airport express won't work either (unless someone knows of any tricks that might make static IP addresses work)

Advertisement