Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

EMERGENCY: Car won't start

Options
  • 07-10-2008 1:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

Hey, everytime I try to start the car it makes a weird noise, not like the battery's dead, but more a choking noise. The radio comes on, so the battery can't be dead, but all the lights come on. HELP??:confused:

It's a ford ka 1999.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

Sounds like the starting motor has given up the ghost. there is very little you can do without mechanical help unless you can locate it under the hood/car and give it a whack with a crow bar or something solid to possible get it going again ( temporarily ).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 marco2polo

HungryJoey wrote: »
    Sounds like the starting motor has given up the ghost. there is very little you can do without mechanical help unless you can locate it under the hood/car and give it a whack with a crow bar or something solid to possible get it going again ( temporarily ).

RIGHT.....em I obviously haven't a clue about cars, engines, starters, so I'm not going near the thing with a crow bar! Although I feel like it! I haven't driven it though, which is why I was thinking the battery. But my sister was driving it for a while, and she had to replace the battery, so that should be fine. Are you in Cork? Do you know anyone who could look at it for me? To be honest, I'm trying to sell it as soon as possible (moving to Edinburgh) which is why this is nearly driving me to drink! (more) I have an ad up for it on adverts, so this is really not the best place to be asking:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,322 ✭✭✭✭Esel

With the engine switched off, put the car in third gear and push it forward (or backward!) a bit. This may free the starter motor. Now try starting it (in neutral of course).

Not your ornery onager

Just because you get radio and/or lights does not mean that the battery is sufficiently charged to turn the engine over. How long has the car been standing? Do you know that the battery is fully charged?

Not your ornery onager

esel wrote: »
    Just because you get radio and/or lights does not mean that the battery is sufficiently charged to turn the engine over. How long has the car been standing? Do you know that the battery is fully charged?
    Car's been standing two weeks. Yeah, it's probably f***ed. I'll try pushing it when the ground's dry, other than that it's a new battery...

• Advertisement

Jebus, mate, don't be so quick to write the battery off! Can you get a jump start, or get the battery charged. Don't start throwing money away replacing anything unless you are fairly sure you've identified the actual cause of the problem.

Not your ornery onager

esel wrote: »
    Jebus, mate, don't be so quick to write the battery off! Can you get a jump start, or get the battery charged. Don't start throwing money away replacing anything unless you are fairly sure you've identified the actual cause of the problem.

It's pointing into the drive, would jump leads reach around (I'm completely ignorant of all things car, sorry)

Actually, even if they could, I live on a really busy road, there'd never be a chance to do it. I looked into those portable chargers, but I can't get them for rent.

ooh, get the battery charged...as in, literally bring the battery to a mechanic and he charge it? Now *that* I can do!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

You check the oil?

R_H_C_P wrote: »
    You check the oil?
    i didn't...*slaps head*

Thank god I'm selling it, I'd probably blow it up...

Would an oil problem cause that noise, dyou think? If it would, that merits me getting out of bed i spose to check it

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

I think you should just phone AA or a mobile Mechanic, you know even less about cars, then me, and that is saying something

R_H_C_P wrote: »
    You check the oil?
    How is this relevant to a starting problem?

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

HungryJoey wrote: »

I would agree with Hungryjoe on the starting motor. If you can't get the car to start at all then what you can do if you want to get it going is to put the car in 2nd gear and get a push, once you build up enough speed take youre foot of the clutch and you should hear it ticking over then just push the accelerator a couple of times and you will getting it going, but engine wont sound to good.

Vanbis wrote: »
    .... you will getting it going, but engine wont sound to good.
    No reason for the engine not to sound good. If it starts, it starts. If it runs, it runs.

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement